THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M240i does battle with the Porsche 718 Cayman

11-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #45
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

As previously stated, comparing a 2 series car to a Porsche is pretty silly. Not because the Porsche is a "superior" car, but because it is like comparing a Landrover to a Corvette, not similar enough in form or function to be truly competitive. I own several older BMWs (all with MT and hydraulic steering) as well as a 996 TT, and both brands have their merits, or at least they did in the past. Never once have I gotten behind the wheel of one of my BMWs and thought, "gosh, I wish I'd taken the Porsche." I enjoy them all, however, for what they are.

Porsche has more or less maintained their long term niche, while at the same time expanding into various sorts of other vehicles, sedans, SUVs, etc. BMW has largely lost their way, mostly turning their "sport sedan" niche into a niche of high powered, somewhat luxurious, Lexus-wannabees, while also going heavily into SUVs. The current 3-Series is an embarrassment to the marque.

The 2-Series is what's left of the old BMW heritage, and it's a slender thread. Even though the North American iteration is limited to 2 doors, it has more or less the form factor of the old 3-Series on which the brand was built (obviously following on to the 1500, 1600, and 2002). These cars were never about brute force, they were about handling, with at least enough power to pass any normal car if you needed to. My long gone 1973 2002, bought new, had crank windows, no radio, and no A/C. Still, it was a very sporty car in spite of its (in today's world) laughable, Yugo-like horsepower.

Unfortunately, even the 2-Series is "endowed" with mediocre to poor electric power steering, and even if the steering is "precise," the absence of driver feedback greatly diminishes the driver's experience. I don't own any 2-Series cars, but I have driven them as loaners, and a friend owns a 228ix, which I have driven. At some point I might consider buying an M2, but I think the EPS, even in that car, is a big detriment.

If BMW wants to be truly competitive with Porsche, at least in a niche to niche basis, they have got to return to form in making drivers' cars. Hopefully they will see the light, before all is lost. If BMW abandons the manual transmission, as is rumored to be on the horizon, I will never buy another one of their new cars, ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #46
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I priced up an equivalent-spec' M240i and Cayman 718 and the Porsche cost a load more. It's a meaningless comparison.

M235i - £43,165
Cayman 718 - £58,870 (Not an 'S')

So almost £16,000 more, or +36%

If I had close to £60K to spend I would certainly look at the Cayman and I'd probably opt for the much more reasonably-priced LSD and some other options. But, really, the Cayman should sit alongside an M2. Even then, at £54,125 like-for-like the M2 is still 9% cheaper. I agree the Porsche is a better-handling and more refined car, but it should be for 36% more cost.

Last edited by msej449; 11-14-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #47
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Just a couple of comments on the continuing posts.

While the base Cayman beat the M240i in a drag race, it wasn't by seconds or even tenths, it was by 100ths. So romping an M2 may be a bit hyperbolic (unless the M2 drive quit midway).

Most drivers measure a cars performance by acceleration and little else. I'm fairly confident the % of Porsche owners that track their cars is small in comparison to those that don't. I was surprised to see the base Cayman 'nip" the M240I in a 1/4 run. Just sayin'. Their 4 cyl must be pretty special.

It is impossible to spec an a base Cayman to anything close to an M240i for less than a $10K difference as a minimum. I tried and best I could come up w/ was base everything except for adding DCT, Nav, Bose and handsfree access, for $63,100. Pretty much the minimum I could live w/ in a 60K+ car.

I love my M240i (more than the C7 I traded for it). Just a better fit all around. It may not be a perfect track car (I don't track my cars). It is brilliant as a daily driver and exceptionally quick w/ a Dinan tune.

I'm not dismissing the Porsche as they build outstanding world class cars and would be happy to own one (and who knows, I may very well own one before my "dirtnap").
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #48
Mjpgolf1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
+1! The Cayman should be compared with the M2 as they almost cost the same. Then you factor the extra cost of getting the standard equipment of the M2 in the cayman and everything is changing. The cayman will be a good second car but as daily I'm not sure.
The M2 would’ve done worse in a straight line against the Cayman. The m240 pulls on the M2 in the 1/4 mile. Regardless the M240 does what it’s made to do exceptionally well and is hands down one of the best cars, if not the best, in its class.
Appreciate 0