THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What do you wish you would have added to your car?

10-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Toxophilite
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW m240i xDrive: ordered

What do you wish you would have added to your car?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey everyone!

Just put down a deposit for a new m240i (pics to follow!) but they can't order it until Wednesday. This gives me an opportunity to add more packages or m performance bits before they order it. Here is what I got:

Sunset Orange
XDrive
Premium package
Drivers assistance package
Adaptive LEDs
Harmon Kardon Sound
Park distance control
Bi color rims with... all season or performance? Help?
Dakota Leather Seats

My question to you guys is, do you think I should add anything else? M performance exhaust? What do you wish you would have ordered but didn't?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I wish I would had seen what sort of negotiating I could have done with the M Performance LSD. I'll be getting it added next spring. Otherwise, nothing.

If it were me regarding your car, I'd pass on the XDrive, get the summer performance tires, and buy a set of winter performance tires and wheels. X-drive is great for straight line acceleration and coming out of tight corners, but that's about it. I test drove a X-drive extensively as that's all the dealers stocked in Kansas City. No RWD or 6MTs to be found. I SO GLAD I didn't get the XDrive. It really dumb downs the dynamics and everything that makes this car great.

Also, if you don't select the summer performace tires, you get stuck with narrow and square 225/40R18 rubber on 18x7.5 rims vs the summer tires which are staggered 18X7.5 and 18X8 rims and 225/40r18 and 245/35R18 tires.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

LSD
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
bensanford
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grey '18 230i & Grey '21 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I wish I would had seen what sort of negotiating I could have done with the M Performance LSD. I'll be getting it added next spring. Otherwise, nothing.

If it were me regarding your car, I'd pass on the XDrive, get the summer performance tires, and buy a set of winter performance tires and wheels. X-drive is great for straight line acceleration and coming out of tight corners, but that's about it. I test drove a X-drive extensively as that's all the dealers stocked in Kansas City. No RWD or 6MTs to be found. I SO GLAD I didn't get the XDrive. It really dumb downs the dynamics and everything that makes this car great.

Also, if you don't select the summer performace tires, you get stuck with narrow and square 225/40R18 rubber on 18x7.5 rims vs the summer tires which are staggered 18X7.5 and 18X8 rims and 225/40r18 and 245/35R18 tires.
When I ordered my 230i the only way I could get the summer performance tires was to order the Track Handling Package - but I think options on the 240 are different, (is Track Pkg std on 240?). I didn't want run-flats, which is why I went to the summer performance tires. I was also able to delete the moon-roof (with a $900 savings), as an options on the M-sport package.

Apple car-play is probably a good idea if you use Iphone.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensanford View Post
When I ordered my 230i the only way I could get the summer performance tires was to order the Track Handling Package - but I think options on the 240 are different, (is Track Pkg std on 240?). I didn't want run-flats, which is why I went to the summer performance tires. I was also able to delete the moon-roof (with a $900 savings), as an options on the M-sport package.

Apple car-play is probably a good idea if you use Iphone.
Yea, thp is standard on 235/240. I believe adding the summer tires also increases the speed limiter from 130 to 155 which you may want to consider if you plan to track your car.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

The sales girl.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Since mine is still awaiting shipment, I can still only talk theoretically...

I agree with most of the prior comments. No xDrive, unless necessary by circumstance. Summer tires, if possible. Apple CarPlay, absolutely (even if you need to switch to iPhone).

LSD would be great, but overkill for my driving style. (Sad, but true.) I’d never want to conider a moonroof-delete option... I like the air and sun (OK, plus moon and stars) too much to give it up to save a few measly topside pounds.

The only other change – for me – would be Sensatec rather than leather. Oh, and I’d give the stock exhaust a good try before rushing to change it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Options I wish I added?

6MT
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I find that i prefer the xDrive on the M240i over the RWD on the 135is. Had I had LSD on the 135, that would narrow the gap. No way to know which I’d prefer then. The M240 feels stickier. Of course there are a few differences: non run-flats, the adaptive suspension, as well as the xDrive. And for winter, I want all the help I can get.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

The only thing would be nav, but idrive 4.3 is mediocre so I'm not too bummed about it.
      10-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
Hey everyone!

Just put down a deposit for a new m240i (pics to follow!) but they can't order it until Wednesday. This gives me an opportunity to add more packages or m performance bits before they order it. Here is what I got:

Sunset Orange
XDrive
Premium package
Drivers assistance package
Adaptive LEDs
Harmon Kardon Sound
Park distance control
Bi color rims with... all season or performance? Help?
Dakota Leather Seats

My question to you guys is, do you think I should add anything else? M performance exhaust? What do you wish you would have ordered but didn't?
Get the performance tires and I disagree with a prior comment. The Xdrive does not diminish anything. I love it and I?ve had some insane rear wheel drive cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #12
inc235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 m240i rwd

I wish I had chosen a non AW car.
In my memory a white car was easy to maintain w/o frequent carwash. But it is pretty bad and needs regular washings.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 11:44 PM   #13
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

IMO, a manual transmission stripper with lsd and mp exhaust suits this size of a bmw very very well!

edit: Oh and summer performance tires (staggered to get as much rubber on the ground as possible)
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-16-2017, 12:25 AM   #14
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Nothing that BMW was offering was worth the extra money for me

I got xdrive (this car has pathetic wheel widths) to put down power, premium stereo (not worth the money but the basic is terrible too) and backup camera only.

Moon roof delete too because it looks crappy and adds extra weight

Obviously PSSs because youd have to be insane to buy this car with runflats
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #15
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

My car came with every factory option
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #16
koston
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I would have waited eight months, added 10k and bought a second hand M2
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #17
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Looks like you have almost e/t possible already - might order up a dose of lightening? . But seriously, w/ all this pork, you probably aren't planning to track it, or concerned about every last ounce of performance.

I'd second the vote for sensatech - I like it better than the leather in the loaners I've driven, and becoming more wary of their cheap leather with every new problem-thread here (latest was the head rests delaminating). Certainly not worth an extra grand to me.

Get summer perf tires - it raises speed governor, and you will probably want separate winter tires anyway. You can get these in RFT versions too, or you could when I purchased (in '16 it was a stand-alone option, didn't need THP). I LOVE the X-drive, winter or summer, so you may want to try a comparo with a RWD to decide which camp you fall into (some hate it for killing that RWD 'fun' but others like myself see it as an improvement). With the RWD you can do more suspension mods later, like the LCA swap, and probably easier to find camber plates, so better for the real track junkies (and then I'd add the LSD, delete moonroof and most of the other toys).

If you really care about audio, probably just want to skip the HK upgrade and go aftermarket (especially if you are paying for MP exhaust). I have the base, and it is tolerable - almost added the HK, but from what I hear I'd have been livid if I had dropped $800 on s/t that is that mediocre. There is a great thread that details what installation requires, not that big a deal ('Strangelove' under audio heading).
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #18
Toxophilite
Private
Rep

Lots of great feedback! Thank you!

I do require xDrive as the weather conditions here can be beautiful and 75 degrees and the next day it could be 30 below with ice under 10 inches of snow (slight exaggeration but not too much tbh). I did drive a RWD and AWD and I preferred the AWD anyway so it works for me

Can you get the Performance tires on the bi color rims? the online configurator seems to only have the performance tires on the black rims. I would have gotten the black rims but I hate the gloss on them.

No apple car play as I don't have an iphone and I don't see myself getting one in a very long time (if ever).

Is the Harmon Kardon really that bad after burn in? I thought the sibilance was a little higher than most but I gave it the benefit of the doubt as the car I test drove was almost new.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #19
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
Lots of great feedback! Thank you!

I do require xDrive as the weather conditions here can be beautiful and 75 degrees and the next day it could be 30 below with ice under 10 inches of snow (slight exaggeration but not too much tbh). I did drive a RWD and AWD and I preferred the AWD anyway so it works for me
.................................................. .................................................. ..............................
That's why you should go with "all seasons" rather than summer performance.
There are seasons (early spring and late fall) when summer performance tires will be worse than useless when there's a cold day with a bit of frost or snow on the road.
OTOH, if you put the snows on too soon and you get a couple of days or weeks where the weather turns summery in the late fall, snows lose grip and get real squirmy.
All seasons will get you through the 3 seasons best for your climate (IMO).
      10-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #20
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Actually, I probably would have not ordered the Dakota Leather and saved the money. Leatherette is more durable, and doesn't feel nor look inferior to the Dakota leather IMO. The Dakota in my car is pretty stiff. If I told someone it wasn't leather, I likely not get an argument.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #21
Toxophilite
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Actually, I probably would have not ordered the Dakota Leather and saved the money. Leatherette is more durable, and doesn't feel nor look inferior to the Dakota leather IMO. The Dakota in my car is pretty stiff. If I told someone it wasn't leather, I likely not get an argument.
How hot does the Sensatec get? I remember people talking about it getting fairly hot over the dakota leather. I tend to sweat very easily and a lot so I figured any breath-ability would be an improvement. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #22
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Get rid off Xdrive, get summer tires and 2nd set of winters, M-LSD, and M-exhaust

I think Dakota looks better as well, is navigation included? I would get that too. Small screen doesnt look good to me
Appreciate 0