THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Advice on taking delivery of my M240i in its transport wrapping?

11-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Advice on taking delivery of my M240i in its transport wrapping?

Hi guys. Has anyone here taken delivery of a new BMW without having the dealer do the cosmetic portion of the PDI?

I'd like to do my own, unless that's unreasonable or foolish. I have a very strong detailing background, and I don't trust that having the dealer do my detailing would go without a mishap. Besides, it'd be a bonding thing between me and my new car.

Any advice, tips, etc., from those who've done it themselves? Thanks!

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
Bmw240xi18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Hi guys. Has anyone here taken delivery of a new BMW without having the dealer do the cosmetic portion of the PDI?

I'd like to do my own, unless that's unreasonable or foolish. I have a very strong detailing background, and I don't trust that having the dealer do my detailing would go without a mishap. Besides, it'd be a bonding thing between me and my new car.

Any advice, tips, etc., from those who've done it themselves? Thanks!
I'm wondering the same thing. I asked the dealership if they'd be okay with it and they said they'll do whatever I want. I'm thinking it depends on the dealership wether or not the outcome, if they do it, will be to your satisfaction. I'd ask them what exactly they do and how they do it. Just have a candid conversation with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

I depends on your dealer, and as long as they advise the tech to not take the wrapping off you should be ok. I always remove it personally when doing PDI's at work. The paint under the wrapping is always flawless.
I honestly cant see it being a problem for them to leave it on
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I should've been more clear. My dealer is more than fine with my doing it; it means less work for them.

My question was whether I might encounter anything unforeseen that might be too big of a challenge, or some aspect that maybe I should let the dealer handle? I wanted to get a sense of the scope of the tasks, since it's been over 45 years since I did PDIs for new VWs and BMWs. I'm sure a few things have changed. (Cough, cough.)

My dealer asked why I wanted to do the cosmetic PDI myself. I told him that it was like receiving any gift... that a big part of the fun was in the thrill of carefully unwrapping it before playing with it! It's a bonding thing.

Nobody ever says, "Hey look, I got a present. Somebody get over here now, and open up the box for me."

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
I should've been more clear. My dealer is more than fine with my doing it; it means less work for them.

My question was whether I might encounter anything unforeseen that might be too big of a challenge, or some aspect that maybe I should let the dealer handle? I wanted to get a sense of the scope of the tasks, since it's been over 45 years since I did PDIs for new VWs and BMWs. I'm sure a few things have changed. (Cough, cough.)

My dealer asked why I wanted to do the cosmetic PDI myself. I told him that it was like receiving any gift... that a big part of the fun was in the thrill of carefully unwrapping it before playing with it! It's a bonding thing.

Nobody ever says, "Hey look, I got a present. Somebody get over here now, and open up the box for me."
Nope. Just do it. The plastic comes off pretty easily without leaving any residue. The windows still had the suction cup marks on them and the interior needed a good blowout. I got some funny looks driving it home but I loved every minute of it. It was like unwrapping a present on Christmas.
Attached Images

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Quote:
My question was whether I might encounter anything unforeseen that might be too big of a challenge... ?
Nope. Just do it.
Thanks. I picked up my car yesterday, and have been detailing it ever since.

Interior is done; mats and cargo net installed. Several exterior washings this morning; then clay bar. Finished applying first coat of RejeX this afternoon to paint; second coat will be tomorrow. The windows sure had a lot of off-gassing gunk! All gone now. All jambs cleaned; all rubber and vinyl dressed; dealer plate frame removed; basic programming completed.

I love love LOVE my new car!!

Early in the day, before much cleaning:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Quote:
My question was whether I might encounter anything unforeseen that might be too big of a challenge... ?
Nope. Just do it.
Thanks. I picked up my car yesterday, and have been detailing it ever since.

Interior is done; mats and cargo net installed. Several exterior washings this morning; then clay bar. Finished applying first coat of RejeX this afternoon to paint; second coat will be tomorrow. The windows sure had a lot of off-gassing gunk! All gone now. All jambs cleaned; all rubber and vinyl dressed; dealer plate frame removed; basic programming completed.

I love love LOVE my new car!!

Early in the day, before much cleaning:
Congrats! Almost 2 years in and my paint is still showroom. Only hand washes and I use Rejex for a sealant as well. Good luck and Enjoy!

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 1