THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

04-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #2575
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 235i m

yikes: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56897186
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #2576
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
Honestly, people need to stop being so sensitive about everything. I laugh at the stuff I see too. If you can't find some humor in this messed up world, this career will swallow you up.
Appreciate 3
Lady Jane70622.00
cmyx6go15693.50
mahalom3163.00
      04-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #2577
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Honestly, people need to stop being so sensitive about everything. I laugh at the stuff I see too. If you can't find some humor in this messed up world, this career will swallow you up.
The reality is my friend, that if you don't laugh then you'll be crying. When I think of some of the things that I have laughed at or joked about I know that many would think that there is something seriously wrong with me. But when you're standing in the middle of the horror it becomes a coping mechanism and I know that I am not the only one.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25016.50
Lady Jane70622.00
cmyx6go15693.50
mahalom3163.00
      04-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #2578
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
The reality is my friend, that if you don't laugh then you'll be crying. When I think of some of the things that I have laughed at or joked about I know that many would think that there is something seriously wrong with me. But when you're standing in the middle of the horror it becomes a coping mechanism and I know that I am not the only one.
Exactly! I'm sure doctors, attorneys, etc. do it too. You have to cope with the ugly somehow.
Appreciate 4
Lady Jane70622.00
Murf99314114.00
cmyx6go15693.50
mahalom3163.00
      04-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #2579
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry, but if you think there's any remotely laughable about this situation you're messed up. These cops should not be "public servants". A dislocated shoulder is extraordinarily painful, and for a LEO to have inflicted this and then ignore her for 6 hours while in custody is unbelieavble. Their celebrating "the pop" is beyond callous.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      04-27-2021, 07:15 PM   #2580
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Quote:
Sorry, but if you think there's any remotely laughable about this situation you're messed up. These cops should not be "public servants". A dislocated shoulder is extraordinarily painful, and for a LEO to have inflicted this and then ignore her for 6 hours while in custody is unbelieavble. Their celebrating "the pop" is beyond callous.
Dislocated shoulder is F painful, I can comment on that one. 30 minutes from gym > ER was like eternity for me...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #2581
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
You're personalizing it and it's obvious you didn't comprehend a word I typed. You are looking at the superficial aspects and aren't looking below the surface. Do I think the officers truly thought it was funny?!? Not at all. There's more nuance to it, but you are free to believe/feel/interpret the actions however you see fit.
Appreciate 4
Lady Jane70622.00
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #2582
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep

And you are grasping with some generalized philosophical b.s. to sweep away a specific abhorent act. I seem to recall hearing "believe your eyes" being applied to police misconduct recently. This video is not nuanced and yes, I do think they thought it was funny. I suspect that will change in the near future.
Appreciate 2
jjasonSU194.00
Littlebear3509.50
      04-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #2583
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
And you are grasping with some generalized philosophical b.s. to sweep away a specific abhorent act. I seem to recall hearing "believe your eyes" being applied to police misconduct recently. This video is not nuanced and yes, I do think they thought it was funny. I suspect that will change in the near future.
Ok. That is your prerogative.
Appreciate 2
Lady Jane70622.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-28-2021, 05:03 AM   #2584
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I have a question, could maybe state-related but heres goes:
Had watched lots of road rage videos into the past, especially were motorbike riders were abusing car drivers, when they approaching fast from behind between the lanes and try to reach at red the stop line and when the car drivers wont give way or narrowing the way, the gave a slap at the passengers door mirror e.g. or more worse things.
So: Do you have any regulations, that car drivers has to give way for them or is this more a silent tolerated practice until somethings' happen?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #2585
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
So you are suggesting that because they laughed and made what you believed to be inappropriate comments while watching a video they should be fired? Really? What's next, thought police?

I won't dare tell any stories about what I have laughed at for fear of the backlash. Although I can thank you for making my point for me.
Appreciate 3
Lady Jane70622.00
mahalom3163.00
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      04-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #2586
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
.... But when you're standing in the middle of the horror it becomes a coping mechanism and I know that I am not the only one.
I'm sorry, but I don't see the horror this woman posed to anyone.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59862.00
      04-28-2021, 06:18 AM   #2587
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see the horror this woman posed to anyone.
You're being provocative. When I said that, you knew I wasn't referencing this particular story. I was making a general reference to what is often called "gallows or dark humour".

Last edited by Murf993; 04-28-2021 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 3
Lady Jane70622.00
mahalom3163.00
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      04-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #2588
Murf993
Major
Rep

So I read something not long ago that referenced exposure to "traumatic incidents", as I recall it, the average person sees or is involved in 1 or 2 traumatic incidents or events in their lives, while police officers on average are exposed to, involved in or sees over 800 traumatic incidents in their lives. I suspect the numbers are similar for firefighters, Paramedics, some military, doctors and nurses. Until you've been around this environment and exposed to the day to day stuff we all have to endure with the frequent outcome being PTSD you honestly just won't get it. I can not explain it to you. If you're offended that's ok, but try to have an open mind, also the gammit for what becomes funny is wide and bizarre.

I was on a course a very long time ago, one of the presentations dealt with the MGM Fire in Las Vegas in 1980, there was significant loss of life. There were bodies trapped in stairwells among other places. In order to make the removal psychologically easier the crews made a completion/game out of it. I am told it became a bit or a race to get bodies out and a score was kept. Now many might find this disrespectful but like I have said this is/was a coping mechanism, and for Littlebear "horror". But FTR, trauma and horror can be different things to different people and you don't get to decide for them.
Appreciate 6
Lady Jane70622.00
mahalom3163.00
Sedan_Clan25016.50
paquet629.50
      04-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #2589
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

First reaction I'm sure from non police ppl and me is the force used to apprehend the 73 yo and the action used does nor correspond with the ''alleged'' felony for a few dollars and the vulnerable person involved.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #2590
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
So you are suggesting that because they laughed and made what you believed to be inappropriate comments while watching a video they should be fired? Really? What's next, thought police?

I won't dare tell any stories about what I have laughed at for fear of the backlash. Although I can thank you for making my point for me.
I never said they should be fired for any of this: laughing at the video simply demonstrates their level of callousness and lack of judgment. If they were found to have used excessive force and failed to provide medical assistance for an elderly lady they clearly knew was injured and in pain, then they should be held to account (especially if there is already have a track record of excessive force).

There is a difference between what average citizens do and what LEOs on active duty do. They should be held to a higher standard.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-28-2021, 07:27 AM   #2591
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I never said they should be fired for any of this: laughing at the video simply demonstrates their level of callousness and lack of judgment. If they were found to have used excessive force and failed to provide medical assistance for an elderly lady they clearly knew was injured and in pain, then they should be held to account (especially if there is already have a track record of excessive force).

There is a difference between what average citizens do and what LEOs on active duty do. They should be held to a higher standard.
Your post: "Sorry, but if you think there's any remotely laughable about this situation you're messed up. These cops should not be "public servants". A dislocated shoulder is extraordinarily painful, and for a LEO to have inflicted this and then ignore her for 6 hours while in custody is unbelieavble. Their celebrating "the pop" is beyond callous."

I watched the video too. I'll make a few comments, the woman didn't look like she was 73, and from my perspective the officer wasn't particularly rough with her. The video "alleges" that she has a dislocated shoulder and broken arm" as a result of the arrest. I'm not saying that she didn't sustain those injuries during the arrest, but we don't know for a fact that she has those injuries and if she does that they were a result of how she was handled. Again, it didn't seem overly rough to me, the was resisting and he used some force to overcome that resistance. I recall breaking a young police woman's wrist doing use of force training, I had no intent to injure her, and I applied the technique we were using in quite a gentle manor, sometimes unintended injuries occur.

As for them laughing at the video I fail to see how that should get them fired or as you put it "These cops should not be public servants". You might find it distasteful but I'm not sure when doing something that someone finds distasteful should be grounds for dismissal.

Last edited by Murf993; 04-28-2021 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 3
JReis53.50
mahalom3163.00
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      04-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #2592
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Your absolutely correct! This career is not for everyone. You have to have a little bit of sense of humor because this job will eat you up mentally and physically. Its funny sometimes just reading some of the comments on how the public thinks how we should do our job. Unfortunately, the media is not our friend and hot topic in today's society is Defund and F the Police!! SAD!!
      04-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #2593
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!! We laugh and cry but that is one thing that the MEDIA will never show.
      04-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #2594
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
So I read something not long ago that referenced exposure to "traumatic incidents", as I recall it, the average person sees or is involved in 1 or 2 traumatic incidents or events in their lives, while police officers on average are exposed to, involved in or sees over 800 traumatic incidents in their lives. I suspect the numbers are similar for firefighters, Paramedics, some military, doctors and nurses. Until you've been around this environment and exposed to the day to day stuff we all have to endure with the frequent outcome being PTSD you honestly just won't get it. I can not explain it to you. If you're offended that's ok, but try to have an open mind, also the gammit for what becomes funny is wide and bizarre....
Now many might find this disrespectful but like I have said this is/was a coping mechanism, and for Littlebear "horror". But FTR, trauma and horror can be different things to different people and you don't get to decide for them.
I agree, sort of like doing the overnight Emergency Room on weekends in Brklyn. I get it.
But no matter how strange our 'clients' were, and they were strange, we never dissed them, or you were out. Private companies can do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #2595
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
I have a question, could maybe state-related but heres goes:
Had watched lots of road rage videos into the past, especially were motorbike riders were abusing car drivers, when they approaching fast from behind between the lanes and try to reach at red the stop line and when the car drivers wont give way or narrowing the way, the gave a slap at the passengers door mirror e.g. or more worse things.
So: Do you have any regulations, that car drivers has to give way for them or is this more a silent tolerated practice until somethings' happen?
That type of behavior basically falls under vandalism. Because lane splitting is allowed in California, it's basically an unwritten practice to give motorcyclists space. With that said, we have callous drivers here and sometimes they pull into the path of the motorcycle on purpose. This leads to the incident(s) you mentioned in your inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
First reaction I'm sure from non police ppl and me is the force used to apprehend the 73 yo and the action used does nor correspond with the ''alleged'' felony for a few dollars and the vulnerable person involved.
A schizophrenic is not someone whom I would consider a "vulnerable" person. Age alone isn't enough to make that determination. I've dealt with some really strong death gripping old men; men who fought us when we were only trying to get them medical assistance. Again, people need to spend some time out here dealing with people physically. Everything you think you know or thought you knew would be challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
Your absolutely correct! This career is not for everyone. You have to have a little bit of sense of humor because this job will eat you up mentally and physically. Its funny sometimes just reading some of the comments on how the public thinks how we should do our job. Unfortunately, the media is not our friend and hot topic in today's society is Defund and F the Police!! SAD!!
A lot of people want to tell us how we should do it, but are unwilling to actually get out here and do it themselves and have their perspectives challenged. I liken it to the people who watch UFC fights and say what the person should've done or how they would've done it, having never been in a fight in their lives.
Appreciate 4
      04-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #2596
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I agree, sort of like doing the overnight Emergency Room on weekends in Brklyn. I get it.
But no matter how strange our 'clients' were, and they were strange, we never dissed them, or you were out. Private companies can do that.
How did they "diss" anyone? They were watching a video, and commented on a "pop" sound. How is that a "diss".

You can't tell me you have never found humour in someone else's misfortune.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25016.50