THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

11-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #309
PastBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014

First post here. I am a former BMW owner many times over. Currently have 2014 MINI HT which is basically a BMW. I have the HK 674 option and don't like it at all. My wife has the 4 dr 2016 MINI with the same HK 674 and oddly it sounds a lot better.

I upgraded the speakers using the BavSound Stage 1 and it offers an incremental boost but not enough difference.

This thread is among the best of the threads I've read on fixing the audio issues and frankly the MINI forums are lacking in audio upgrade discussions. Not sure why that is.

Two things I'm considering after reading this thread is one, putting an inline switch in glove compartment to kill the center channel speakers. This way I can do a real A/B comparison to see if I like killing them and I don't have to go back in and hook them back up if I don't like the change.

Secondly, I play my music in good quality files off the USB stick, but have just started experimenting with using my android phone and the Denon equalizer app to play the files. The sound is much improved this way with a substantial volume increase across the board.

Thanks for any input on the above, also I did a serious hunt for a 2 or 1 series used manual transmission car before buying my used MINI and came up short. Loved most things about the test drives except compared to the MINI it seemed way too big for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #310
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastBMW View Post
First post here. I am a former BMW owner many times over. Currently have 2014 MINI HT which is basically a BMW. I have the HK 674 option and don't like it at all. My wife has the 4 dr 2016 MINI with the same HK 674 and oddly it sounds a lot better.

I upgraded the speakers using the BavSound Stage 1 and it offers an incremental boost but not enough difference.

[B]

Two things I'm considering after reading this thread is one, putting an inline switch in glove compartment to kill the center channel speakers. This way I can do a real A/B comparison to see if I like killing them and I don't have to go back in and hook them back up if I don't like the change.
While you can spend the time to put a switch in the glove compartment for the center speaker, it is literally a less than 5 minute job to pop the grill, take out a few screws and unplug the thing. I think you'll spend much more time with your switch idea.

In addition, I would guess there is a 1% chance you will find the sound better with the center plugged in, it completely changes the soundstage separation in a good way. Plus, after having replaced the HK speakers already, you should have noticed how lightweight and cheap they really are, they are garbage and can't imagine anyone thinking the sound is better with that center plugged in. But, to each their own.
      11-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #311
PastBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
While you can spend the time to put a switch in the glove compartment for the center speaker, it is literally a less than 5 minute job to pop the grill, take out a few screws and unplug the thing. I think you'll spend much more time with your switch idea.

In addition, I would guess there is a 1% chance you will find the sound better with the center plugged in, it completely changes the soundstage separation in a good way. Plus, after having replaced the HK speakers already, you should have noticed how lightweight and cheap they really are, they are garbage and can't imagine anyone thinking the sound is better with that center plugged in. But, to each their own.
Since I replaced the HK speakers, the centers are no longer as suspect. Only the HK under seats remain. Your point about timeline to unplug vs. switch makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #312
aweedman
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I started the process today. I'm planning on doing all of the suggestions in this thread except for installing Eton PRX 110.2's in the rear. The sensitivity on the JL's is just too low. I often listen to my music loud and I find the volume is already 3/4 of the way up at times.

1 - I first did the front center channel disconnect. As discussed, this definitely helps with the separation. I spent the last five years in an Acura with Pro Logic 2, and have to admit though I do miss the discrete center channel.

2 - Second I installed the Technic's ASD bypass. This is a must do. The sound quality is so much better with this.

3 - I have the Eton fronts - no time to install this weekend.

4 - Rears are on their way.

5 - Door seals are on their way.

So far with 1 and 2 only, I had to turn my treble down even more than the couple clicks that I initially had it at. Wow, it's amazing how horrible the factory speakers are. I'm looking forward to getting the Eton's installed. I have a feeling that I will still want the Bimmertech amp though to be able to dial everything in correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #313
jase2addict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp

If anyone is interested in the etons I have brand new set for sale. Never installed. I have an thread in the for sale section. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #314
fatumpsch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M2, 6MT, exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
So I went the other way and got the BimmerTech amp. I had some belated issues fitting it (see other threads) and the tune provided by BimmerTech for the F22 frankly sucks balls, but with some prompting from others I was able to come up with my own tune with which I'm pretty happy. Others have since done this too. Now that I've been listening to mine for a few weeks, I have some more tweaks I want to do (I made it too bright, for a start... I am running the HU Treble at -3 and the Bass at 0). There is still a hole in the mid-bass which I wasn't able to fill in, and I think that's just the limitation of the HK speakers. The lowest bass (well, as low as you can get with 8" drivers and 55W) is actually really good with the stock subs. I agree with others that there's no need to swap these out unless you are having limiting problems (I've made them fart a couple of times when I had it up really loud). The general sound for kick drums and such is actually really clean and tight. It's the bit above that which is lacking, but that's the door speakers' failing. And yes, the tweeters are still really harsh.

So now I'm psyching myself up to swap out the front doors for Eton B100Ws. I'm really not bothered about the rears, as I rarely have music on with passengers and I like it to be front-biased anyway, but I shall cross that bridge when I come to it. Maybe I'll end up with the JLs in the back anyway. But I'm still on hold for all of that, as I'm a bit short of disposable income right now, and Dinan springs are higher on the list.

The BimmerTech amp really did make a huge difference, though. I have followed this thread with interest, and I respect its conclusions immensely, but I don't regret getting the amp for one second. The HK amp had nothing like the clarity and authority.

As for the alleged technical issues, I haven't had the car in for service since I fitted the amp, so I haven't dealt with the flashing problem. My SA is cool, though, so I'll make it clear what I did, and if I have to swap the other amp back in temporarily then so be it.

As for the brake-light drop-out thing, I haven't experienced anything like that. It's been rock solid. I'd like to know if anyone else has, as it seems like it was just that one guy.

SE
Hi Simon, Do you think you'll be getting new speakers anytime soon? I look forward to your thoughts on the sound with the Bimmertech amp tuned for the Etons (and hopefully JLs). FWIW I think you'll find the speaker replacements to be a very good mod that isn't too expensive relative to the improvement.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #315
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatumpsch View Post
Hi Simon, Do you think you'll be getting new speakers anytime soon? I look forward to your thoughts on the sound with the Bimmertech amp tuned for the Etons (and hopefully JLs). FWIW I think you'll find the speaker replacements to be a very good mod that isn't too expensive relative to the improvement.
I'd like to, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Like I said, Dinan springs are higher on my want list.

Plus, honestly, we're still trying to decide whether to stay in this country... :\
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #316
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:

Plus, honestly, we're still trying to decide whether to stay in this country... :\
I'm considering Canada, but I don't think I could handle the cold lol
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #317
fatumpsch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M2, 6MT, exec

Quote:

Bummer. Hope it all works out for the best
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #318
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:

I don't know why you think the HK system will sound better in Canada.
Seems a rather drastic mod to me. Good luck and let us know what it sounds like in your new country, eh?
Appreciate 3
      11-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #319
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Great thread guys, I can't believe i haven't read this one yet. I'm going to do the JL's and Eton swaps.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #320
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Thanks all. I have disconnected the center channel and installed the JL AUdio rears and what a difference! I am trying to order the Etons for the doors and am having trouble placing the order from Amazon and From Extreme Audio - message from Amazon says there's a problem with my address (in Connecticut), and Extreme Audio sends me to PayPal, where I get a similar message. Any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong or as to other ways to proceed in getting these speakers>

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #321
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

So try using amazon Germany, go here:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Find extremeaudio under seller and click add to basket on the right. Not all sellers ship to US. And amazon US doesn't have these anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #322
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Zipphreak's suggestion is a good one.

But if your address is being rejected by two different suppliers I'd wonder whether there is something non-standard in your address such as "Rural Route" or the pound (#) sign: http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub28/28c2_021.htm .
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #323
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Try this tool and see what it normalizes your address to:
https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #324
mburg
MBurg
Rep

Thanks all. Was able to find a different source that is shipping to mu US address.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #325
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburg View Post
Thanks all. Was able to find a different source that is shipping to mu US address.
Please share the info mburg. Thanks.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #326
mburg
MBurg
Rep

I was routed to the Extreme Audio German website (www.extremeaudio.de).

The price was a bit higher - 242.33 euro with shipping.
Appreciate 1
BentZero624.50
      11-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #327
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Anyone know if these 4" adapters or similar have been used in combination with the JL CX's to maintain the three factory mounting points.

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK076

http://caraudiosecurity.com/ct25bm08...adapter-plates

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-4-SE...cAAMXQVT9SsJGC

Last edited by zipphreak; 11-28-2016 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #328
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Anyone know if these 4" adapters or similar have been used in combination with the JL CX's to maintain the three factory mounting points.

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK076
Hi Zipphreak,

You really don't need adapters. Two of the three holes align perfectly and you can fit the third screw by using the factory BMW screw with a large washer or clip.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #329
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Ohh ok do you have a picture. I thought i saw someone drilling, and putting a speed clip in for hole #3?

edit: nevermind i found the post

Last edited by zipphreak; 11-28-2016 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #330
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Ohh ok do you have a picture. I thought i saw someone drilling, and putting a speed clip in for hole #3?

edit: nevermind i found the post
Link?
Appreciate 0