THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics How to add Apple CarPlay to my 2017 m240i

04-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Unfortunately, my build date was before BMW decided to add it... RIP. I see no option to purchase it in ConnectedDrive (My ConnectedDrive expired and I miss the spotify app which I prefer over bluetooth streaming).

So how would I go about installing CarPlay? I read somewhere I might need to install a wifi antenna?

Also is it possible to hack the spotify connected drive app back? I don't really want to pay for ConnectedDrive's yearly subscription. ($200 a year in Canada YIKES)

My VIN is WBA2G1C38HV665322
      04-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep

Seems like ordering the WiFi antenna from eBay for $10 + upgrading/activating from an eBay seller including full screen for $60 seems like the cheapest way to go about this.
      04-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

I successfully added Apple CarPlay to my 2016 228i (NBT Evo IDS 5 with the larger 8.8" screen) with a module from Amazon for $299. It works great and I can't believe I waited as long as I did to get it.

Here's what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PROS
1) CarPlay functions are all wireless (at least with this module). There is an option for $50 less that requires your phone be plugged in, but I'm so happy I opted for the wireless. My phone almost never leaves my pocket anymore.
2) Even a moron could install it. Plug/Play with no wires to cut. 100% reversible if you change your mind or want to remove it.
3) I added both a backup camera AND a front facing camera for less than $100, which is just as easy to add at a later date, too.
4) Complete functionality of existing BMW infotainment screen and functions. (Holding the Menu button on the iDrive controller switches between CarPlay and OEM systems.)
4) A Connected Drive subscription is NOT required.
5) Immediate connection to CarPlay once the car is started or in ACC, almost zero delay.

CONS:
1) Minor annoyances with integration into existing infotainment setup, one being that the volume level does not pop up when using CarPlay.
2) Per #1, have to switch back and forth between CarPlay and OEM system to adjust sound (Treble, Bass, etc.) Annoying, but not a deal-breaker.
3) WiFi connection from phone to car is always solid, but it won't connect if you're connected to another WiFi. IE, my dashcam is also WiFi, so I have to disconnect CarPlay on my phone completely before I can access camera footage. Or when I'm at home, the phone won't connect to the car's WiFi until I'm far enough away from my router at home.
4) Some of the menu items and settings are cryptic and don't seem to do anything (made in China I believe), but most of the options are simple and pretty customizable.

Bonus: I've had it long enough myself I'd be happy answer any questions you might have when it comes to the install or how to use it

Last edited by ZGadson; 04-27-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      04-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGadson View Post
I successfully added Apple CarPlay to my 2016 228i (NBT Evo IDS 5 with the larger 8.8" screen) with a module from Amazon for $299. It works great and I can't believe I waited as long as I did to get it.

Here's what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

PROS
1) CarPlay functions are all wireless (at least with this module). There is an option for $50 less that requires your phone be plugged in, but I'm so happy I opted for the wireless. My phone almost never leaves my pocket anymore.
2) Even a moron could install it. Plug/Play with no wires to cut. 100% reversible if you change your mind or want to remove it.
3) I added both a backup camera AND a front facing camera for less than $100, which is just as easy to add at a later date, too.
4) Complete functionality of existing BMW infotainment screen and functions. (Holding the Menu button on the iDrive controller switches between CarPlay and OEM systems.)
4) A Connected Drive subscription is NOT required.
5) Immediate connection to CarPlay once the car is started or in ACC, almost zero delay.

CONS:
1) Minor annoyances with integration into existing infotainment setup, one being that the volume level does not pop up when using CarPlay.
2) Per #1, have to switch back and forth between CarPlay and OEM system to adjust sound (Treble, Bass, etc.) Annoying, but not a deal-breaker.
3) WiFi connection from phone to car is always solid, but it won't connect if you're connected to another WiFi. IE, my dashcam is also WiFi, so I have to disconnect CarPlay on my phone completely before I can access camera footage. Or when I'm at home, the phone won't connect to the car's WiFi until I'm far enough away from my router at home.
4) Some of the menu items and settings are cryptic and don't seem to do anything (made in China I believe), but most of the options are simple and pretty customizable.

Bonus: I've had it long enough myself I'd be happy answer any questions you might have when it comes to the install or how to use it
Woo sweet, thanks for the reply.

My car is actually fully loaded, but didn't have carplay because of my build date. I'm currently awaiting the wifi antenna I purchased and will get an ebay seller to install oem carplay for $50 so hyped!!
      04-28-2020, 04:50 AM   #5
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Nice! Hopefully all goes well with your install! Shoot me a PM if you need anything!
Appreciate 1