THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Bent wheels need opinions

10-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
bimbimsalabim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 4 series

Bent wheels need opinions

I have a 2018 230xi with 18'' wheels and runflats. This is my first 2 series (i've had multiple 328s and 428 previously) and I've never had as many problems with tires and wheels as I've had on this car. I've gone through 3 blown out tires with either a bubble or rip in the tire from hitting a pothole and now the dealer tells me I have 3 bent rims that is causing a very noticeable shimmy/vibration around 40+ mph.

I was quoted $160 a wheel to have them repair it, although (I'm sure they just outsource to a local place anyway) and was told that there would be a 99% chance they would be improved. I'm worried however that it might NOT totally improve it (born skeptic).

I'm not too keen on spending upwards of $500 on repairing bent wheels on a lease but i'm getting really frustrated driving it.

So my question is, WWYD? Repair? Replace?

The other option I was considering was getting 4 new wheels and tires (non runflat) from Tirerack. I obviously would be spending more money than getting repaired but I would not only be investing in the peace of mind of the repair and the vibration going away but actually owning what I bought. Then I figured maybe I can turnaround and sell them eventually, obviously taking a loss and throw the originals back on when the lease ends in roughly 21 months.

I thought I would go with 17'' non runflat tires so I'd have more rubber between the tire and wheel hopefully not causing as much serious damage if I hit a pothole again like on these damn low profile tires.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

if the dealer is quoting $160 / wheel, chk your local BMW club section for a mobile wheel repair service. I'd heard quotes from mobile services of as low as $90 / wheel.

Keep your following distances long to give you enough time to avoid obstructions. Also treat every puddle as a pothole. And maybe WAZE in your area has good pothole warnings.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbimsalabim View Post
...So my question is, WWYD? Repair? Replace?
...Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
I don't know where you are in NJ but I have used USA Wheels in Fairfield with GREAT results. It's not cheap but they do good work.

///Rich
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
I had this happen twice on the stock run fiat all seasons. We have horrible pot holes / plates on road where I live right now due to construction. Replaced both the tires and wheels with

BEYERN RITZ Gloss Gunmetal with Brushed Face (18" x 8.5", +35 Offset, 5x120.65 Bolt Pattern, 72.6mm Hub)

PILOT SPORT 4S Tires by Michelin®. 225/40ZR18

BEYERN RITZ Gloss Gunmetal with Brushed Face (18" x 9.5", +45 Offset, 5x120.65 Bolt Pattern, 72.6mm Hub)

PILOT SPORT 4S Tires by Michelin®. 255/35ZR18

And have not had a problem since.

Not sure if the run flats are more susceptible to damage. Both were 18s. There was no way I'd have gotten 19s
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
bimbimsalabim
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
I don't know where you are in NJ but I have used USA Wheels in Fairfield with GREAT results. It's not cheap but they do good work.

///Rich
I'm only a few minutes from them and already went there. They want something ike 120 or 140 a wheel (can't quite remember) so it's not that far off from what BMW wanted.

I would probably go with BMW at that point only because if it's not perfect i can at least complain until they fix it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
bimbimsalabim
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I had this happen twice on the stock run fiat all seasons. We have horrible pot holes / plates on road where I live right now due to construction. Replaced both the tires and wheels with

BEYERN RITZ Gloss Gunmetal with Brushed Face (18" x 8.5", +35 Offset, 5x120.65 Bolt Pattern, 72.6mm Hub)

PILOT SPORT 4S Tires by Michelin®. 225/40ZR18

BEYERN RITZ Gloss Gunmetal with Brushed Face (18" x 9.5", +45 Offset, 5x120.65 Bolt Pattern, 72.6mm Hub)

PILOT SPORT 4S Tires by Michelin®. 255/35ZR18

And have not had a problem since.

Not sure if the run flats are more susceptible to damage. Both were 18s. There was no way I'd have gotten 19s
It's my understanding that any low profile tire with a big wheel is more susceptible to damage and from what I've been reading runflats are as well. I used to think they were 'superior' but i guess BMW just goes with them so they can not give people another spare tire and reduce weight. Yes it's convenient but i'm tired of my tires blowing out. Now the car rides like shit and i have 20 months left!

Don't really want to get the wheels fixed because i feel like that's *issing money away.

Last edited by bimbimsalabim; 10-19-2019 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbimsalabim View Post
i guess BMW just goes with them so they can not give people another spare tire and reduce cost (so they can make more money).
There, fixed it for you!

I had wanted the performance tires, but when I ordered my salesperson told me they couldn't get them at the time. I had thought I could just swap tires but didn't know, and he didn't tell me, that ordering the run flat all seasons meant that you'd get the 225 square - 7.5 wheels. (AND speed permanently limited to 130!).

I wish I'd known what I know now because the run flat all seasons are just bloody awful. The tires are totally inappropriate for this car, they simply can't put the amount of power the engine puts out on the road. The fact that they are way more susceptible to being damaged is the icing on the cake.

Anyone reading that is wanting to order or buy a new one, whatever you do, don't get the all season run flats!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 12:00 AM   #8
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

The largest reason you can’t get a spare anymore is fuel economy. Everything gets stripped to the bare minimum to ensure you get bette mileage.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I had picked up a complete set of 2006 7 series.wheels really cheap for a snow tire set up didnt notice that one had had a visible bend. The tire shop noticed 2 of them had a wobble. Found a guy that was a moble repair that fit me right in the same day. He checked both wheels on was slightly bent but within spec under 30 thousandths run out. This from what he told me is considered by insurance to be acceptable. The noticable bent wheel was 120 thousandths out this one he got back into spec of under 15 thousandths neither shell has any noticeable vibration even at almost 90mph. He only charged 85 to fix the wheel and he got a 6 pack of beer as a thank you. All in all a great deal when you look at the cost of new wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
R9T
Rep
Drives: 230 convertible

Our 230 had a bent rim .. very consistent vibe pattern that set in around 80mph and got worse as speed increases. Very different signature compared to an out-of-balance vibe. Tried the $100 wheel-fixer guy and it's better for sure but as the OP was concerned about, it's definitely not back to what it was before it was bent. Now the vibe sets in around 85 and not as noticeably. Probably going with a new wheel because even though this is my wife's car, and I'm the only one who'll probably ever notice it -- and only in a sustained, highway kind of setting -- it's there and it's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You're leasing with run flats? If you run them the whole time you'll have to replace them at turn in, $1,000 to $1,200 installed. You are better off getting 17" wheels and tires now for $1,400-$1,600 then putting your stock wheels back on.

Of course you've already spent some money but at this point it's good after bad. I leased mom an F30 it literally went from dealer to tire shop for tires the first day, run flats are stacked in the corner for turn in.
Appreciate 0