THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2021: Qatar GP - Losail (Nov 21)

11-23-2021, 06:59 PM   #507
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I see it completely otherwise ..

The Mercedes team => Where is Bottas ?
The Red Bull team => Where is Checo ?

It's actually pretty simple to understand and to see the drivers qualities over a season..

BTW : Max asked to swap cars with HAM !
Too bad HAM came only with a silly respons => https://www.sportvideos.tv/video-max...nce-swop-cars/

Yeah Bottas is falling off hard, can't blame checo it's his first year with RB.
      11-23-2021, 07:37 PM   #508
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Well toto responded to that and said they will have equal chances to fight for the title, unless one gets really far ahead and then the second driver has to help the first. Since Lewis always pulls away from Bottas, Bottas has to help Lewis in tight championship runs.
Well according BOT's latest statement , HAM ran with a completey different car in Qatar ..

If I was the Russel boy , I wouldn't trust HAM and the Wolf .
I'm pretty sure the Russell boy was already screwed from the moment he signed his Mercedes contract .

On the other hand , It's really awesome for him to drive in the best F1 team with the fastest car out there...

One thing that I really want to see is : MAX vs Russel with the Mercedes Warp-Speed !
Can't wait ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 11-24-2021 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50
      11-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #509
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Yeah Bottas is falling off hard, can't blame checo it's his first year with RB.
BOT can be 'REALLY fast over one lap like in the QF sessions ..And even faster than HAM !

But in the race ...I'm lost in words by his lack of racecraft !

#GrandMa !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
DrFerry6728.50
      11-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #510
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Good question, I keep taunting scHAM to lure him out but it hasn't worked.

Dude is like a walking, talking F1 encyclopedia!!!

Come back MKSixer
IIRC he had hip replacement surgery - so likely more concerned about physio then dealing with this banter
Appreciate 5
________4158.50
minn1914024.00
Steeler2427.50
fanatic11018.50
      11-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #511
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Heating issues are normal for Mercedes in traffic, it's happened on the w11 too. Apparently the cooling is affected from the heat generated by cars in front which is multiplied when following in heavy traffic. So if you cannot pass soon, eventually the pu overheats and you lose power and that means passing is impossible. So not likely to be a reliability related issue.

This seems to affect vb more than Lewis since vb cannot pass as easily as Lewis can.

In terms of gearbox vb iirc has never gotten a new one so it's probably time, and that's why he's getting issues. Lewis and max got new gearboxes on Sept 24 on the Russian gp weekend. So Lewis should be fine in that regard too.

Imo Lewis and his car and engine should be good to go for at the very minimum 2 more race weekends of full power "rocket ship mode" running.
Bottas PU was overheating in clear air prior to the puncture. He was holding high revs in 6th gear at the request of the team. Bottas had it pinned in 6th through the high speed corners for several laps, it was very odd. Maybe Merc is beta testing extreme temps so find the point when the PU pops. Note, Hammy had a new gearbox for the Dutch GP that was swapped again for Russia after two races.
Attached Images

11-23-2021, 09:38 PM   #512
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Bendy wing

Interesting..FIA likley identified this and told Merc to stop.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Bubbles; 11-23-2021 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      11-23-2021, 10:05 PM   #513
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post

Interesting..FIA likley identified this and told Merc to stop.

View post on imgur.com
Well the wing passed the new even more rigorous load tests so still legal, probably really border line though. That's the games all teams play, push the rules to the breaking point in search of performance.
      11-23-2021, 10:30 PM   #514
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Well the wing passed the new even more rigorous load tests so still legal, probably really border line though. That's the games all teams play, push the rules to the breaking point in search of performance.
A new wing run at Qatar passed the test, the old bendy Brazil wing was likely used as a prototype for the new test. It’s clever, Max probably confirmed it wasn’t fixed.

Merc may have an issue since they ran bendy after the FIA told all teams to stop the wing nonsense so I don’t agree about it being borderline (opinion) or pushing the boundaries but no point with getting into the legalese nomenclature. Consider the situation if RBR ran this after the first bendy wing fiasco, Merc exploited this and I suspect a draft protest is making the rounds of review internally at RBR. Can’t blame RBR for it.

Toto’s hubris may whipsaw him. He needs to figure out a way to replicate the brazil closing speed at Saudi at all costs, otherwise RBR will have the final piece of the puzzle for the protest. His confirmation that they will be running the Brazil spec PU (another key piece of the puzzle) seems like a foolhardy thing to say out loud.

Last edited by Bubbles; 11-23-2021 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60013.50
      11-23-2021, 10:58 PM   #515
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
A new wing run at Qatar passed the test, the old bendy Brazil wing was likely used as a prototype for the new test. It’s clever, Max probably confirmed it wasn’t fixed.

Merc may have an issue since they ran bendy after the FIA told all teams to stop the wing nonsense so I don’t agree about it being borderline (opinion) or pushing the boundaries but no point with getting into the legalese nomenclature. Consider the situation if RBR ran this after the first bendy wing fiasco, Merc exploited this and I suspect a draft protest is making the rounds of review internally at RBR. Can’t blame RBR for it.

Toto’s hubris may whipsaw him. He needs to figure out a way to replicate the brazil closing speed at Saudi at all costs, otherwise RBR will have the final piece of the puzzle for the protest. His confirmation that they will be running the Brazil spec PU (another key piece of the puzzle) seems like a foolhardy thing to say out loud.
So here's the thing, I have not found one source that the wing was changed just redbull speculating it was. However mercedes said it wasn't changed, and neither did that article that discussed Mercedes passing the new load tests in Qatar. Also nothing on prototypes or new version of a flexi wing.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/merce...-in-qatar.html

From said article:

Not true," a team source told Auto Motor und Sport. "The wing was not changed.

"The wing was rock solid anyway. You could have hung 100 kilos on it - so maybe Red Bull will ask for 105kg next time."

The only proof I have found about a wing change was the changed wing from the one that failed the drs gap inspection in Brazil, and this occured in Brazil.

Otherwise nothing else discussed wing changes at all.

Again it's most likely the Brazil top speed came from the new pu, especially if the rear wings were the same in Qatar, and there's absolutely no evidence that I can find that says it was a different wing.
      11-23-2021, 11:13 PM   #516
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

So unless you guys have proof of a rear wing change in Qatar then it's just more speculation, again I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Otherwise I guess we will really see what top speeds are like in Saudi with the Brazil ice back in.

Last edited by F87source; 11-23-2021 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:53 AM   #517
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
So many words because you literally quoted the article as if it proved your talking point but it doesn't. It literally prove the opposite, and showed you guys don't have a clue of what you're talking about. If it indeed said Mercedes had to change their wing then I would have agreed Mercede's old wing pushed the grey area too far but nope it didn't.

I did read the article and I have no issue with what the article is saying, I have an issue with what you're saying. That's why I'm calling you out on it. Zero mention of a wing change, hence they passed the new load tests on their current wing that you guys implied flexed due to "score marks".

So the only cheater this season is redbull and max, as they're the only ones who failed/had to make changes to accomodate nfor a new FIA test. I expect you two to uphold your harsh critiques on max the same way you bashed Lewis. From now on its dirty max, because unlike Mercedes redbull did have to make an entirely new wing to last the test.
So much yada yada from you proves you know little about F1, it's obvious Merc changed the illegal rear wing for the test but you go ahead and believe what preacher toto says every time, the one that swears and gives the finger at the cameras.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 12:59 AM   #518
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
So unless you guys have proof of a rear wing change in Qatar then it's just more speculation, again I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Otherwise I guess we will really see what top speeds are like in Saudi with the Brazil ice back in.
As I said to you before chatter box we don't work in Merc and it's based on our F1 knowledge,experience and engineering skills where you are just believing the Merc guru every time and...it's time for you to wake up and not believe fairy tales.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 01:09 AM   #519
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
So much yada yada from you proves you know little about F1, it's obvious Merc changed the illegal rear wing for the test but you go ahead and believe what preacher toto says every time, the one that swears and gives the finger at the cameras.
Well like I said before, facts and proof keeps us grounded in reality. Without that and it is all just speculation.

I will be happy to retract all statements I made before regarding this matter if given evidence to prove the fact that they did change the wing. Otherwise I maintain the notion that mercedes is innocent until proven guilty - like I said before I maintain a neutral stance if mercedes is guilty I will call them out. If they are innocent I will defend them, same goes for all other teams but you guys really only pick on mercedes so yeah...
      11-24-2021, 01:16 AM   #520
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
[...]F1 knowledge,experience and engineering skills[...] [...] wake up and not believe fairy tales[...]
Interesting, iirc:

1) In an earlier thread you did not believe in the power of understanding a car and car setup, and explicity demonstrated that you did not understand the fundamental process of what goes into engineering, product rnd, and testing. So I doubt you really understand the intracacies that go into engineering. Eg. you guys immediately freaked out about the squatting merc suspension saying it was gps controlled, despite the squat not occuring immediately on a straight and only occured as speed picked up (that is not what should occur on a gps controlled squat)- that right there shows you guys don't understand engineering and immediately jump to illogical conclusions.

2) You guys are not the people who should be telling others to stop believing in fairly tales. You literally pull quote, cherry pick, and gobble up everything that comes out of redbull (helmut marko, horner, max etc), regardless if it has any base in reality. I've picked and pulled apart what you guys write multiple times and logically explained why it's wrong. Yet you are unable to prove to me why I am wrong in the same surgical manner.
________4158.50
minn1914024.00
Steeler2427.50
      11-24-2021, 01:33 AM   #521
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, iirc:

1) In an earlier thread you did not believe in the power of understanding a car and car setup, and explicity demonstrated that you did not understand the fundamental process of what goes into engineering, product rnd, and testing. So I doubt you really understand the intracacies that go into engineering. Eg. you guys immediately freaked out about the squatting merc suspension saying it was gps controlled, despite the squat not occuring immediately on a straight and only occured as speed picked up (that is not what should occur on a gps controlled squat)- that right there shows you guys don't understand engineering and immediately jump to illogical conclusions.

2) You guys are not the people who should be telling others to stop believing in fairly tales. You literally pull quote, cherry pick, and gobble up everything that comes out of redbull (helmut marko, horner, max etc), regardless if it has any base in reality. I've picked and pulled apart what you guys write multiple times and logically explained why it's wrong. Yet you are unable to prove to me why I am wrong in the same surgical manner.
You claim you're not a Merc fan which is hard to believe, but you go on and think what you want. I'm not a person of many words so just go on my many years of F1 experience rather than your limited knowledge, after all you don't work in F1 also huh?
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 01:37 AM   #522
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Well like I said before, facts and proof keeps us grounded in reality. Without that and it is all just speculation.

I will be happy to retract all statements I made before regarding this matter if given evidence to prove the fact that they did change the wing. Otherwise I maintain the notion that mercedes is innocent until proven guilty - like I said before I maintain a neutral stance if mercedes is guilty I will call them out. If they are innocent I will defend them, same goes for all other teams but you guys really only pick on mercedes so yeah...
Ask yourself where did they get the extra boost in Brazil, you're not such an expert as you think you are if you think it's new PU and mapping to near breaking point and beyond, it is something else.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 01:52 AM   #523
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You claim you're not a Merc fan which is hard to believe, but you go on and think what you want. I'm not a person of many words so just go on my many years of F1 experience rather than your limited knowledge, after all you don't work in F1 also huh?
Well when I am impartial to any team I just float around, and when I hear people attacking a team with baseless conspiracies I will debunk it and defend said team. Since you and M power have an unhealthy amount of hate for mercedes they are the only team that is ever attacked so they are the only team that neededs to be defended if a defense is just, and since all the stuff you allege about mercedes has no backing a defense is warranted - innocent until proven guilty.

Your many years of f1 experience is irrelevent when it comes down to making such large accusations about a team without proof or fact, and since you don't work in f1 that makes it even more clear that you can't be degrading a team like that especially when you don't understand the work that goes on behind the scenes. I also may not work in f1, but since I am not making huge liabelous accusations against a team without facts backing it I am fine. However that still allows me to call out and debunk any potential statements which are garbage by examining the statment itself by determining if there are holes in its logic. For example the false made up statement bmws dont pass emissions standards, the standards are just forged by bmw and stamped on the chassis so they can just sell the car. Well if this is the case how come 3rd party emissions testing like CARB in the US have not detected any issues with emissions? Why haven't they been sued by governments for a breach?

See if you can find the hole in the logic behind a statement then you can debunk it.
________4158.50
minn1914024.00
Steeler2427.50
irunalot1518.00
      11-24-2021, 01:57 AM   #524
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ask yourself where did they get the extra boost in Brazil, you're not such an expert as you think you are if you think it's new PU and mapping to near breaking point and beyond, it is something else.
There's a difference between being an "expert" and thinking rationally vs just resorting to irrational conspiracy. There could be many factors at play:

1) the engine is new so no deg
2) there aren't many races left so you can risk reliability for performance
3) the car squats reducing drag
4) the high speed nature of the track suits the mercedes setup better - again related to car setup.

Also don't forget the mercedes in brazil didn't have the highest trap speeds, so the numbers are not irrational. And redbull was forced to run a bigger wing than normal because of their drs actuator issues resulting in more drag.

Your explanation is a small amount of wing flex results in more top speed than the drs being wide open... Right an extra couple of mm - cm of space offers more performance than a wide open drs or the squatting rear end of the car which stalls the diffuser and drops a ton of drag. Totally makes sense....

Or maybe the fact that redbull literally has nothing to counter all the attributes 1-4 that mercedes has because their pu is old and thus makes less power than new which is likely less than mercedes even when new, their car can't squat to drop drag, their wing is too big because their drs is messed up.

You guys literally can't look in reality for explanations you have to look in fantasy land.
Steeler2427.50
irunalot1518.00
      11-24-2021, 02:06 AM   #525
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
There's a difference between being an "expert" and thinking rationally vs just resorting to irrational conspiracy. There could be many factors at play:

1) the engine is new so no deg
2) there aren't many races left so you can risk reliability for performance
3) the car squats reducing drag
4) the high speed nature of the track suits the mercedes setup better - again related to car setup.

Also don't forget the mercedes in brazil didn't have the highest trap speeds, so the numbers are not irrational. And redbull was forced to run a bigger wing than normal because of their drs actuator issues resulting in more drag.

Your explanation is a small amount of wing flex results in more top speed than the drs being wide open... Right an extra couple of mm - cm of space offers more performance than a wide open drs or the squatting rear end of the car which stalls the diffuser and drops a ton of drag. Totally makes sense....

Or maybe the fact that redbull literally has nothing to counter all the attributes 1-4 that mercedes has because their pu is old and thus makes less power than new which is likely less than mercedes even when new, their car can't squat to drop drag, their wing is too big because their drs is messed up.

You guys literally can't look in reality for explanations you have to look in fantasy land.
You've probably never been in science so you don't know the process of the scientific method. But lets just say you must be able to prove your hypothesis and you form that hypothesis based on reality (even theoretical physcics where they work in the imaginary must have their ideas be able to explain phenomenon that are observed in every day situations), and keep working on it to fit said observations and then rinse and repeat until said hypothesis cannot be debunked. There's a reason why astronomers don't immediately go its aliens on the first observation they find that breaks current understanding. They must slowly work based on previous ideas that are grounded in reality and integrate the new observations that dont fit in current models - and find a logical explanation to explain them. They don't just abandon ship and make crazy claims.
irunalot1518.00
      11-24-2021, 02:42 AM   #526
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
You've probably never been in science so you don't know the process of the scientific method. But lets just say you must be able to prove your hypothesis and you form that hypothesis based on reality (even theoretical physcics where they work in the imaginary must have their ideas be able to explain phenomenon that are observed in every day situations), and keep working on it to fit said observations and then rinse and repeat until said hypothesis cannot be debunked. There's a reason why astronomers don't immediately go its aliens on the first observation they find that breaks current understanding. They must slowly work based on previous ideas that are grounded in reality and integrate the new observations that dont fit in current models - and find a logical explanation to explain them. They don't just abandon ship and make crazy claims.
You're actually addressing yourself this time but in any case look..you bringing in some scientology into it now.
I stick with my beliefs of F1 knowledge, you can see how Fia overreacted to Horner's reasonable challenge,masi going into mothering mode protecting the errant marshall who panicked showing the flags inside the barrier at Max not the outside and calling in Horner to cover up their own weaknesses to save face.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 02:51 AM   #527
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You're actually addressing yourself this time but in any case look..you bringing in some scientology into it now.
I stick with my beliefs of F1 knowledge, you can see how Fia overreacted to Horner's reasonable challenge,masi going into mothering mode protecting the errant marshall who panicked showing the flags inside the barrier at Max not the outside and calling in Horner to cover up their own weaknesses to save face.
Scientology and science are two different things, I wouldn't expect you to be able to differentiate though. F1 is heavily involved in engineering which is a subset of science not opinion, no one gets better at anything being closed minded.

And when the only thing you bring is your own knowledge your point of view narrows down to nothing, and you are subjected to bias. Even the rule of law is based on logical thinking and rationale, not just a judge saying this is what I think based on my years of experience no evidence needed. It is also a similar to what people call an arm chair quarter back, where the person watching thinks they know more than the people doing it - which is pretty much how you and m power behave, acting like you know more about mercedes are their supposed cheating (plenum, squatting suspension, engnie, DAS etc) vs. every team on the grid and their engineers who are the among the best on the planet.

The FIA calls have nothing to do with the legality of mercedes's car. When you deal with humans you have to deal with emotion, and since the marshall was a volunteer you cannot expect perfect. Whereas legality of a car means fitting within a set of rules, if you pass the rules you have a legal car.
irunalot1518.00
      11-24-2021, 03:33 AM   #528
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Scientology and science are two different things, I wouldn't expect you to be able to differentiate though. F1 is heavily involved in engineering which is a subset of science not opinion, no one gets better at anything being closed minded.

And when the only thing you bring is your own knowledge your point of view narrows down to nothing, and you are subjected to bias. Even the rule of law is based on logical thinking and rationale, not just a judge saying this is what I think based on my years of experience no evidence needed. It is also a similar to what people call an arm chair quarter back, where the person watching thinks they know more than the people doing it - which is pretty much how you and m power behave, acting like you know more about mercedes are their supposed cheating (plenum, squatting suspension, engnie, DAS etc) vs. every team on the grid and their engineers who are the among the best on the planet.

The FIA calls have nothing to do with the legality of mercedes's car. When you deal with humans you have to deal with emotion, and since the marshall was a volunteer you cannot expect perfect. Whereas legality of a car means fitting within a set of rules, if you pass the rules you have a legal car.
Yup knowledge is everything f87
Appreciate 1