THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Best value approach for LSD?

11-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Rowie01
Rep
Drives: M235i

Best value approach for LSD?

I'm wondering how best to get a LSD for my '16 m235i vert. Sounds like there are better options than the factory product. Not sure which is best path for value and performance. I welcome any helpful advice!
      11-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
www.diffsonline.com

Knowledgeable and great service.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowie01 View Post
I'm wondering how best to get a LSD for my '16 m235i vert. Sounds like there are better options than the factory product. Not sure which is best path for value and performance. I welcome any helpful advice!
The M Performance LSD is a very high quality piece made by Drexler for BMW. Drexler is one of the best LSD builders in the business for both higher end OEM and racing. The M Performance LSD is a clutch-based LSD setup with ideal lock-up for street and the typical track usage. IMO, clutch-based is best LSD setup for a daily driver with some track use.

Like Wolf GTI pointed out, diffsonline.com is great too and they can give you all sorts of options of LSDs plus optional gear ratios. Keep in mind that if you have an automatic, you will likely need to stay with the stock gear ratio or else the car may not shift right, throw codes, or both.

In terms of cost, buying the M Performance LSD or something custom from diffsonline.com will be a wash. Most people spend MORE going with something from diffsonline.com. In the end, you'll likely spend $2500-3000 all in and installed, regardless of the LSD you go with.

As I've said so many times on this forum, an LSD is a MUST for this car. It transforms it. With an open LSD and extra power, the rear end is a bit of a mess in comparison.
WolfGTI716.00
Frosty779.00
      11-08-2021, 04:48 AM   #4
flypenfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Cayenne, 2015 Msport 228i

Might be worth considering: http://www.teammfactory.com/catalog/.../MF-TRS-05E46A
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypenfly View Post
Buying that would require installation of the LSD into the pumpkin. That's something best left to a drivetrain professional plus you'll need new bearings and a number of other supporting parts to assist with installing the LSD assembly. It is definitely not a plug and play mod like the M Performance LSD or ordering something from diffsonline.com.
      11-08-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
To add to XutvJet's post - you would need to drill out the welded crown gear from the factory diff as it is no longer bolted on, then machine and drill the gear to bolt to the LSD. When you are installing the actually LSD into the differential housing you also to get the pre load correct or it will whine and you will get driveline lash when you hit the gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Buying that would require installation of the LSD into the pumpkin. That's something best left to a drivetrain professional plus you'll need new bearings and a number of other supporting parts to assist with installing the LSD assembly. It is definitely not a plug and play mod like the M Performance LSD or ordering something from diffsonline.com.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #7
Rowie01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
To add to XutvJet's post - you would need to drill out the welded crown gear from the factory diff as it is no longer bolted on, then machine and drill the gear to bolt to the LSD. When you are installing the actually LSD into the differential housing you also to get the pre load correct or it will whine and you will get driveline lash when you hit the gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Thanks for the comments. Sounds like I need to get myself an M LSD - I notice they're about $1000 lower price than a Quaife etc.
      11-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #8
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Watch for Black Friday specials - some of the vendors here run specials on diffs.

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Sounds like I need to get myself an M LSD - I notice they're about $1000 lower price than a Quaife etc.
Appreciate 1
Frosty779.00
      11-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
Rowie01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Watch for Black Friday specials - some of the vendors here run specials on diffs.

Quote:
Thanks! I'll be watching for some deals.