THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i to M2 Comp? Initial Impressions

11-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

228i to M2 Comp? Initial Impressions

I recently spent an afternoon driving an M2 Competition. Not a track day -- just casual driving in its stock, grocery-getting, 6-speed manual configuration. I’ve owned my 228i ZTR-package 6-speed for a few years and love it to death but was curious if I should be saving up. I didn’t have the Comp very long, so these are just initial impressions (rants) from driving around town, a couple b-roads, and on the highway.

I guess I should have anticipated this, but it was a totally different experience, not really comparable to my little 2-er aside from the familiar interior. I expected it to retain and build upon the nimble feeling of the 228i, just with more refinement and more power. However, it's not that simple. The M2 Comp was a muscle car by comparison in almost every measurable sense. The most immediately noticeable difference behind the wheel was the weight, followed by the power, then the handling. However, the most notable difference overall was the difficulty making smooth driver inputs using normal ranges of motion on a regular old drive.

Right away, I put the car in DTC-off mode so that I could heel / toe and get a feel for it. I don't have auto rev-matching in my 228i so I wanted to experience as close to a back-to-back comparison as I could. However, there was a problem. When I wasn’t holding back from the extremely grabby brakes, I was pushing through the lost-motion in the throttle pedal to rev-match without going too far. Smooth inputs in general were a challenge around town, as my quiet passenger would later attest. The car was fairly new, a 2020 with 5k miles, so it could just be a combination of me not being used to it and the car not really being fully broken in. Whatever the case, I’m betting it’s fun to heel / toe on track, but at normal speeds, I couldn’t be gentle enough with the brakes and things were getting nauseating between traffic lights.

The contrast in pedal sensitivity between the brakes and throttle was probably the single largest gripe I had overall. There was this lost-motion in the throttle pedal that I couldn't ignore, like almost a dead spot. Not to say the car was in any way slow off the line or suffering from turbo-lag, it just felt like it needed to be nudged awake at times which I was not expecting in an M-car, especially when the brakes were so hilariously eager. I can't quite explain it, and I haven't read or seen anyone else talk about it so what the heck, it's probably me! but let me know down below if anyone can relate so I don't gaslight myself too much.

Now, my car is not faultless and I'm not saying there haven't been things I've had to get used to since owning it. For example, the extreme pull on the engine when turning on the AC compressor necessitated learning two completely different "shifting feels" in order to keep it smooth. And lord knows, there were things I had to change and it's not exactly stock... so this is not as much of an apples to oranges comparison now as...uhh yea it is, it is. It's still apples to oranges. 228i to M2 Comp. Whatever, I'll say it... The M2C was a punchy ol pig around town and I felt like the car was judging me for not driving like a lunatic through school zones and on highways alike. Maybe that reveals more about me than the car? Am I just a hateful old curmudgeon stuck in a 30 year old's body? Maybe.. My favorite car I've ever owned is still my old E30 325ix if that says anything. But I digress.

The M2C's suspension was poised and managed rough roads well enough for daily driving. Beyond that, I can’t really say much here as I didn’t bring the car remotely close to its limits. It felt pretty good though for sure. There were moments where I could tell that the Comp weighed the same as my E34 touring, (400 lbs over my F22), despite the very different handling characteristics between a modern M-car and a 25 year old estate!

As for the engine: it’s impressive but also felt clinical for what it is. A couple highway pulls that could land me in jail and I couldn’t really get excited about it. That thing just needed to be revved out and taken on track, and I can't wait to try that in the future. Not saying the N20 four-pot is anything special but it does the job and keeps the overall chassis weight noticeably lower.

TLDR;

In the end, I walked away from my outing in the M2C with a newfound appreciation for the simplicity and lighter character of my 228i, especially in the context of the daily drive. I think I'll be saving my pennies for an LSD instead and keep up the small mods here and there. No shade at the M2 Comp or those who own/want to own one. It’s overkill for (my) everyday needs and abilities at a race track. I will still enjoy witnessing one overtake me on the highway from time to time and who knows, I may change my mind with time. -- thanks for reading.
      11-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

The M2, in any guise, is a completely different car than our 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder 2 Series cars. I think of them as track cars made to be livable on the street. I wanted something more compliant on the street, and that's why I bought an M240i and, at significant expense, created my own version of a street/track 2 Series car. I didn't want the downsides of living with a real M2 on the street. I've owned enough big-deal cars that choosing the M2 to be able to say that the M2 is what I bought didn't mean anything.

In my opinion, this is an example of a reason to choose the M2: https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...83-m4-f87-m2c/. If a Stage 1 isn't enough, Steve Dinan has Stage 2 and Stage 3 for those who need more. In the current issue of BMWCCA's Roundel magazine, Dinan said that he's created an 800 HP M2 engine for a client. Mind you, Dinan called it "almost undriveable"; but hey, what difference could a minor issue like that make!?!

Last edited by dradernh; 11-02-2021 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
      11-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

My son had an M2C, and we had our cars together for an A/B drive. I concur with PeanuKeeyes. Before he replaced it, he asked if I was interested, and I turned it down.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:26 AM   #4
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

Peanu, thanks for posting all of the assumptions I made about the m2 before I bought my m240.

I didn’t drive the m2 because I didn’t want to spend that much on a car (and if I did, I’d be looking for a used Evora). That, and the 240 has me giggling inside every time I drive it.

Congrats on having a car you want.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
Darin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Good write up. As I explore this forum i get the sense some of us 228 owners feel like we need to justify our purchase - NOT SAYING YOU ARE - i'm saying there is a certain vibe where our 228s MUST be as-good or better than the, let's say 'hotter' models of 2s.

What you wrote is really good because it shows how the entire character of cars can change based on the application of power and the associated changes needed to manage the power.

Its possible to love more than one car for different reasons - I don't 'love' my 28 but i really like it because it does so many things well. And that's what I am looking for at this stage of my life. I'm going to track my 28 because with tires and brake pads I'm convinced it'll be only ME as the limiting factor in how fast it can be. And that's okay. That's actually perfect. Like with my photography, i upgrade only when my camera becomes the limiting factor - when my skill finally catches up to what my instrument can do. That sounds sexual, sorry.

Good comparison. Thanks!
Appreciate 3
      11-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Good write up. As I explore this forum i get the sense some of us 228 owners feel like we need to justify our purchase - NOT SAYING YOU ARE - i'm saying there is a certain vibe where our 228s MUST be as-good or better than the, let's say 'hotter' models of 2s.
I started by looking at used 228s, 230s, 235s, and 240s. A car with a manual transmission, no sunroof, and RWD were my requirements; I didn't care about anything else as long as the car had been taken care of properly.

This was in May of '18, and I wanted a car I could put on the track by August at the latest. It quickly became apparent that any non-M2 2 Series with those features was going to be hard to find and wouldn't last long on the market.

Then a forum member pointed me to the new 240 I ended up buying. It had sat on the lot for a year after the guy who ordered it bought something else instead.

I don't doubt that I would have enjoyed one of the 4-cylinder models just as much.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
Darin13.50
      11-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #7
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I recall my feelings when I drove some M3s back in the day. They really wanted to go FAST. It wasn't that fun driving them anywhere near legal behavior. Sounds like the M2 is about the same, and since it is about the same size as an old M3 and has more power, I'm not surprised.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4398.50
      11-04-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
I recall my feelings when I drove some M3s back in the day. They really wanted to go FAST. It wasn't that fun driving them anywhere near legal behavior. Sounds like the M2 is about the same, and since it is about the same size as an old M3 and has more power, I'm not surprised.
That's exactly how I experience my M240i, partly because of my modifications, but mostly due to the engine's torque and horsepower curves.

The M6 I used to own was exactly as you describe the M3s you drove. I found the M6 to be at its best when accelerating up to triple digit speeds, and the M240i is, for me, the same.

On multiple occasions, I ran the M6 hard between Fernley, NV and Grand Junction, CO. On most of US-50 the sightlines were wide-open and there was so little traffic that I could just line the car up on the center line of the two-lane highway and let 'er rip.

To exercise it fully, I took the M240i to the track. Between the two cars, running fast on a public highway in the middle of nowhere was much more fun. However, the roads were in much better shape in the mid-80s than they are today. I wouldn't want to hit or try to dodge a pothole at 100+ mph on a narrow highway with no shoulders. Depending upon which state or county you're driving in or through these days, those surface imperfections have become depressingly common.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      11-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

What you wrote is really good because it shows how the entire character of cars can change based on the application of power and the associated changes needed to manage the power.

Its possible to love more than one car for different reasons - I don't 'love' my 28 but i really like it because it does so many things well. And that's what I am looking for at this stage of my life. I'm going to track my 28 because with tires and brake pads I'm convinced it'll be only ME as the limiting factor in how fast it can be. And that's okay. That's actually perfect. Like with my photography, i upgrade only when my camera becomes the limiting factor - when my skill finally catches up to what my instrument can do. That sounds sexual, sorry.

Good comparison. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I definitely had a moment of questioning whether or not to post this for the reason you pointed out. It’s undeniable that we all want to be justified in our purchases, especially at the price point. I appreciate you bringing it up though and recognizing that’s not my aim with the write-up.

Hagerty posted a video yesterday that touched on the less-is-more philosophy involving some very impressive cars. The “less” doesn’t refer to the three cars he starts with, and his verdict on the M5 CS was surprising. It’s a good watch.

Darin13.50
Namakan21.00
      11-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #10
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In many ways, the 2-series vs M2 conversation reminds me of the ongoing e46 ZHP vs M3 debate. I even think I remember seeing an article about that, I’ll have to dig it up.

IMO, the 228i / m235i has that similar E36 power with more usable torque in a modernized ZHP-like shell. It’s enough to live with and more than enough to get in trouble with.
      11-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #11
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
ive owned a 228ix for 4 years and absolutely love it as daily driver. i have a long ownership history of BMWs but had never owned an M car -- only many test drives and BWM M track days over the years. the last M car i test drove during BMW's M-Town tour / promotion was the M2C and i immediately fell in love. i finally ordered an M2C in february '21 and received it through PDC in june '21.

ive only logged 1500 miles but it's been a fun learning experience. i must totally change my driving mentality when i'm getting into this car...and that's exactly what i wanted when i took the M car plunge. i definitely get the concerns about being able to push the car without breaking the law...it's basically impossible. and i also understand those who espouse the preference of driving a slower car fast, rather than a faster car slow.

that said, the M2C is exactly the second car that i wanted. it's actually fairly compliant in eco/comfort mode...and i have no problems driving it around town at slow speeds. i have the 6MT and the 1st > 2nd shift requires patience to avoid a jerky transition, but once you get that figured out, it's very easy to drive around town. my wife is regularly a passenger and really only complains when i start driving more aggressively on back / country twisty roads. my goal is to start doing a few HDPE events next year and maybe explore a couple of track days. i definitely didnt buy the car just to baby it for the next 10 years and sell it with 15K miles having never redlined it or drifted it through a chicane.

edit: and i dont need to justify my purchase to anyone...except my wife

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 2
Darin13.50
      11-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
Hagerty posted a video yesterday that touched on the less-is-more philosophy involving some very impressive cars. The “less” doesn’t refer to the three cars he starts with, and his verdict on the M5 CS was surprising. It’s a good watch.
I enjoyed the video - thanks for pointing us to it.

I read that Steve Dinan at Carbahn has an 824 HP upgrade for the M5 CS and a couple of 1,000 HP upgrades in the works. I'm not sure how much fun those would be to live with but would be willing to try one out to see.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      11-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #13
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

OP I see you have a Miata in your list of vehicles. With that in mind I am not surprised you prefer the 228 to the M2.

I am looking forward to the upcoming new Japanese offerings that will be available in the next year. One of which is the GR86/BRZ. Alot to be said for a lightweight, rear wheel drive vehicle with a manual transmission.

I have had high powered turbo vehicles that are a blast on a open space of road, but those opportunities are limited in real world driving. Something to be said for a fun to drive vehicle with moderate horsepower......
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #14
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
OP I see you have a Miata in your list of vehicles. With that in mind I am not surprised you prefer the 228 to the M2.

I am looking forward to the upcoming new Japanese offerings that will be available in the next year. One of which is the GR86/BRZ. Alot to be said for a lightweight, rear wheel drive vehicle with a manual transmission.
A lot to be said about that combo indeed. I feel incredibly lucky with these three machines. The Miata was a recent addition to the fleet. Nothing’s fast, yet everything is a thrilling RWD manual. All three are mod-able until the end of time. Couldn’t be happier.

My dad and I are building up the 1.8l NA Miata for street and track with the long term goal of it potentially becoming a Spec Miata race car. Between the E34 touring 5-speed, F22 6-speed and NA Miata 6-speed, the only car slated for big power upgrades is the E34 Touring. Either an S38B38 M5 engine swap(dreaming) or M50 Supercharger(more realistic).

Had my 228i been deemed a total loss in my recent accident, the GR86 would have been at the top of my list for sure. It looks like a fantastic package.
Attached Images

11-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #15
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
the only car slated for big power upgrades is the E34 Touring. Either an S38B38 M5 engine swap
I had an S38B35 in an E30 325is track/street car. It was quite the motor in that relatively light little car - it was still pulling hard at the braking zone for the Bus Stop at the Glen. Do it if you can find a way to make it work for you.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
This comment reminds me of lunchtime drives in my co-workers C5 Corvette. At that time, I was still driving a Miata. The low powered nimble Miata was more enjoyable for me to drive at legal speeds than the Corvette.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #17
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
In many ways, the 2-series vs M2 conversation reminds me of the ongoing e46 ZHP vs M3 debate. I even think I remember seeing an article about that, I’ll have to dig it up.
I'm an M2c owner who also had a ZHP coupé for 5 years. I've never driven any other 2-series though to compare my M2c to, but I suspect my initial conclusions coming from a 230i would be very similar to yours. I'll add that I think you'd get used to the M2c very quickly, and as long as your local roads aren't total crap, would find it to be a capable daily if/when necessary. That dead area in the throttle is just in Efficient mode. Bump it to Sport or Sport Plus and it goes away - to the point of being almost over-sensitive in Plus. I agree the brakes are way too grabby for a street car, but again you get used to it.

My best buddy has an F82 M4. A few years ago when he was relocating I lent him my ZHP to use full-time in metro Vegas. He LOVED that thing, was a more practical/comfortable daily than his M4, which is just ungainly and overly stiff in all its modes.