THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Clutch questions

11-01-2021, 06:39 AM   #1
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Clutch questions

So this morning leaving for work I had a very interesting problem letting out the clutch it garbed in the 1st 1/4 inch of travel as if I had taken my foot completely off the clutch pedal.this happened several times while trying to back out of the driveway. I put my foot under the pedal to find it to almost be on the floor I was able pull it up with my foot and didn't have a problem the rest of the way into work. Never had a master cylinder fail like this before they typically loose pressure and the clutch won't disengage. Is there a return spring on the pedal assembly in these cars? Anyone experience a problem like this with their car. I have just over 50k on the car it's never been raced and the clutch feels strong no slipping or chatter. Maybe just low on fluid if I remember correctly these get their fluid from the brake system. I'll have to do some troubleshooting after work this afternoon
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

There are a number of springs on the clutch pedal assembly but I have a hard time seeing that any of the them are the culprit here. Have you recently modified or replaced any parts associated with the braking system or clutch system?

My guess is there's a tiny leak in the clutch hydraulic system hoses and/or the slave cylinder. Check the brake fluid reservoir. It needs to be basically full as the reservoir provides fluid for the clutch hydraulics.
      11-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
There are a number of springs on the clutch pedal assembly but I have a hard time seeing that any of the them are the culprit here. Have you recently modified or replaced any parts associated with the braking system or clutch system?

My guess is there's a tiny leak in the clutch hydraulic system hoses and/or the slave cylinder. Check the brake fluid reservoir. It needs to be basically full as the reservoir provides fluid for the clutch hydraulics.
No leaks anywhere fluid level is fine no mods to the car or work to any of the brake systems or clutch system. The car is completely bone stock. The only thing I can think of is a broken return spring but that should manifest ever time the clutch is pressed. Or an internal failure of the clutch master cylinder but they typical fail and no longer work so time for some more trouble shooting.

Okay I just got home pulled the interior cover above the pedal assy down the springs look good nothing broken couldn't see any evidence of fluid leaking from the master cylinder. I will have to see if it acts up first thing in the morning temp is going to be the same tomorrow as it was today in the mid 30s

Last edited by pmcmtnbkr; 11-01-2021 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0