THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning VRSF intercooler received with damaged fins, scratched/dented

08-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
VRSF intercooler received with damaged fins, scratched/dented

I just received a VRSF intercooler today. Some of the fins in a few places are damaged/bent over and closed off. There was a large cut through the box that went through the styrofoam and scratched the top of the intercooler along with another slight dent elsewhere on the top of the intercooler.

Is this normal/to be expected with shipping a heavy item or something I should be concerned with?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
I just received a VRSF intercooler today. Some of the fins in a few places are damaged/bent over and closed off. There was a large cut through the box that went through the styrofoam and scratched the top of the intercooler along with another slight dent elsewhere on the top of the intercooler.

Is this normal/to be expected with shipping a heavy item or something I should be concerned with?
Not normal. Mine came in perfect condition, and I would send it back for another. Also, pay the extra and get the Competition model.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 08-18-2021 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Thanks, I'm pretty disappointed. The styrofoam was pretty soft for the task of protecting an unwieldly 33lb shipment. As far as I can tell where the fins were damaged, I didn't see any impacts in the cardboard and definitely not through the styrofoam. I wouldn't be surprised if the fins were damaged prior to packing. Also where the top of the intercooler (bar?) which is probably at least 0.25" thick was dented, no idea how that could have been dented but again I didn't see evidence in packaging that it was damaged during shipment. I'd hoped to get this installed this coming weekend. Now with having to return this one and having to wait for a new one to get shipped to me, who knows when I'll get the next one installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Does anyone have contact information for Top Gear Solutions, like an actual phone number?

I've emailed them a couple times with no response and it looks like Jeff from top gear solutions hasn't been active on bimmerpost since May 2021.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'm pretty disappointed. The styrofoam was pretty soft for the task of protecting an unwieldly 33lb shipment. As far as I can tell where the fins were damaged, I didn't see any impacts in the cardboard and definitely not through the styrofoam. I wouldn't be surprised if the fins were damaged prior to packing.
I'm looking at the photos now, and it was clearly dropped or something dropped on it. There is an indentation that literally warps the fins in the 3rd photo.

It's clear from you picture of the Styrofoam that something hit it after it was packaged. I'm not defending anyone, but that's what I see.

Quote:
Also where the top of the intercooler (bar?) which is probably at least 0.25" thick was dented, no idea how that could have been dented but again I didn't see evidence in packaging that it was damaged during shipment.
Dude, come on - you posted a picture of a split in the box, an equal size split in the Styrofoam and an equal size mark on the core itself. Something CLEARLY hit the box during shipping.

Quote:
I'd hoped to get this installed this coming weekend. Now with having to return this one and having to wait for a new one to get shipped to me, who knows when I'll get the next one installed.
That's the worst feeling - take some before and after logs and photos if you can, I hope things work out for you this time as well.
      08-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have contact information for Top Gear Solutions, like an actual phone number?

I've emailed them a couple times with no response and it looks like Jeff from top gear solutions hasn't been active on bimmerpost since May 2021.
https://topgearsolutions.com/contact-us/

Also - I would urge you to upgrade to the VRSF Competition model for $40 more - it's better in every way.
      08-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #7
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:

https://topgearsolutions.com/contact-us/

Also - I would urge you to upgrade to the VRSF Competition model for $40 more - it's better in every way.
I'm not disputing that it was damaged during shipping but there are also dents and fins damaged where there's no evidence of damage to the box/styrofoam which leads me to believe it could have also been damaged prior to shipping.

I did get the 6.5" competition model.

I've emailed top gear a couple times and messaged Jeff here on bimmerpost but so far I've received no replies.

I don't know if I should just reach out to VRSF directly since top gear does nothing but dropship via vrsf.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      08-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Just heard back from Jeff at Top Gear. He's reaching out to VRSF. Hopefully the turn around doesn't take forever.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #9
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
After emailing Top Gear back and forth for the last week to get an exchange started, Jeff emails me today to work out the exchange directly with VRSF. I'm not sure why I wasn't told this beginning of last week when I initially let Top Gear know of the damaged intercooler.It wasn't Top Gear's fault that it arrived damaged but they wasted a week of my time and I would expect a reseller to know how VRSF handles exchanges for damaged products.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #10
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Top Gear is saying that they've not heard anything back from VRSF and that's why they referred me to work with them directly.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #11
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Top Gear direct shipped from manufacturer?

I'm not sure there's high confidence in them then if THEY aren't taking responsibility as THEY made the sale! Their interaction with the manufacturer is not my problem as a customer! Fact is it's their problem from wherever to my door. They should swap it out and then do whatever they have to do on their end... Period!

Otherwise, it's good to know that buyers from that vendor beware!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #13
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I'm not making excuses for anyone and I'm obviously frustrated. Top Gear told me they're doing everything they can but VRSF hasn't responded to them to get FedEx to inspect the damage and to get an exchange started. I've read about various problems with VRSF on the forums regarding quality/fit, lack of customer service, etc and tried my best to ignore because of value & performance but it seems I'm yet another victim as VRSF hasn't responded to either Top Gear or my emails and they don't provide a phone number for customer service.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not making excuses for anyone and I'm obviously frustrated. Top Gear told me they're doing everything they can but VRSF hasn't responded to them to get FedEx to inspect the damage and to get an exchange started. I've read about various problems with VRSF on the forums regarding quality/fit, lack of customer service, etc and tried my best to ignore because of value & performance but it seems I'm yet another victim as VRSF hasn't responded to either Top Gear or my emails and they don't provide a phone number for customer service.
I would PM Tiago and follow up with VRSF again.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #15
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
It looks like Tiago hasn't been active here on bimmerpost for a while. Top Gear cc'd me on an email to Tiago but still no response.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #16
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Any news?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #17
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I've still not ever heard anything from VRSF but I did receive an email from FedEx with a label to return the damaged intercooler. I'm less than impressed with VRSF and how they couldn't be bothered to respond to emails, not even to tell me that they were going to send me a FedEx label. After reading through their BBB page, it appears that this is normal protocol for them to ignore emails.

I also got another email from FedEx showing a shipment was received today from VRSF and I should receive it on Sept 2nd.

I'd read plenty complaints about VRSF regarding their poor customer service, build quality and fit/finish but I ignored them and was won over by the low cost and value.

Hopefully the replacement arrives in good condition so I don't have to deal with them ever again.

Jeff at Top Gear was helpful in finally getting VRSF to send a FedEx label but being stuck in the middle between VRSF and Top Gear was frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #18
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Finally received my replacement intercooler from VRSF. While this one didn't have a hole in the box, it has more glaring defects from manufacturing. Maybe VRSF ran out of fins when they were completing this row. I can't believe they'd ship this out like this. They either have no quality control or simply don't care about the products they make or their customers. Should I send this one back also?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

And this is why VRSF sucks. This is terrible and shows a total lack and disregard for quality control.

grocery list - Sorry you're having to deal with this.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2021, 07:36 AM   #20
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Wow, that is unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #21
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Wow, absolutely ridiculous. Send it back - it’s not what you paid for.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #22
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
At this point it's almost been a month since I originally placed my order. All the horror stories I ready about VRSF seem to be true. Now I get to play the waiting game with VRSF to see how long it takes for them to send me a another FedEx return label which will take at least a week and at least another week on top of that before I hopefully get a good replacement. If the next one isn't acceptable I'll have to look at other intercooler manufacturers.

I had hoped to get this installed during the Summer for some track sessions and spirited driving but the Seattle rain will be here soon.

Let this be a lesson to others considering anything from VRSF.
Appreciate 0