THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Thinking of selling

11-23-2021, 08:04 PM   #23
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

Right now it is very tempting to sell cars that you don't really need. I just got a quote of $44,000 from Shift for my 2021 M240i 6sp manual with 8,000 miles. I currently have 5 cars between my wife and I.

I just sold my 2017 Toyota Highlander with 30K miles that I purchased in 8/2017 for $34,800. I paid $39k for it 4 years ago. I replaced it with a 2021 Honda Ridgeline. Took some patience and dealings with different dealers to get the price I was willing to pay for the truck. It was totally doable.

I actually enjoy driving different cars. Absolutely NO reasons to keep 5 cars but can one put a price tag on having the pleasure of driving different cars?

I have an appointment with Carmax to see what they will offer for my M240i.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:44 PM   #24
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

All y'all saying it's a car is a depreciating asset in today's market need to understand that right now that's just not true. Used cars are selling for more than what they were bought for. Generally speaking. That statement is total BS right meow.

If you want to sell, just do your due diligence and benchmark what private sales, carvana type company sales and dealer trade in will net you.

As a seller you are 100% in the advantage right now.

Personally I won't sell mine because I love it too much. Lol. But if you want out you'll make out like a bandit. But just don't forget you'll be buying back in at an APPRECIATED/INFLATED market. If you can wait, sell now and sit on the cash. Shit, invest in a 4% bond or some shot for a year and profit then buy when the market cools off.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #25
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Happy Thanksgiving All!.

Well, went to my BMW dealer yesterday for my service be stopped into the used car area to get a value on my 2017 (pristine) low mileage (8189 miles) loaded automatic with a moon roof delete option.

They car lot was virtually empty of new and used cars. Was told they had 2 new cars in inventory and the rest were used.

The guys going over the ranted a raved over how the car was showroom new and I would be very pleased with their offer.

They came to me with $30K offer. Ha! I said thanks but no thanks. I said I'll keep the car as I could not find one as nice to replace mine for $30K. I mentioned that I got a $35500 offer from Carmax. They looked shocked at that price. 20 seconds later they offered me $32500. Thieves!

KBB trade value on my car is $38781-$43162. KBB listed my car for private sale valued between $40-$44K based on mileage, options and condition. I get that dealers have to make some money on cars they buy, but there is plenty of meat left on the bone if they offered me $36K for the car. Wife and I decided going in that we wouldn't sell unless the offered $40K (so we pretty much knew we'd be driving the car home anyway). My dealership has always been fair on appraisals in the past. Obviously a change in policy.

When I traded my C7 for this car back in Dec of 2016, my sales guy told me that the dealership offers used cars coming in on trade to employees at or slightly of above what the paid to the seller. Sneaky suspicion that the used car manager wanted grab mine for "cheap" and keep it for himself of as a "flipper".

The $30K offer was an laughable. Every website I visited valued my car as north of $35K whether it as cash value on the car, or trade (trade value was way higher as the assumption being the dealer will make up the diff on the new car pricing).

Ran it to the service dept for the yearly oil and filter change and had the brake system flushed and fluid replaced. We are good for another year of driving my pristine little blue hot rod.

I'm going to keep the car for the foreseeable future and enjoy driving it more than I have.

As more EV's become available in the next couple of years, I will consider trading one of the two cars I own for a "around town" EV grocery getter. Chances are good the BMW will remain in my possession even with that eventuality.
Appreciate 5
WolfGTI716.00
Sportstick4654.00
Miata1387.00
      11-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #26
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Good choice. I am sure you'll continue to enjoy your car and you'll avoid the inevitable regret that follows when you sell a car you have really loved. Maybe the dealership is moving so few cars these days they need to make a huge profit on those they do move to make up for lost volume. Similar to all the house flippers calling to buy your house today for cash, if they find just one person who doesn't know the value of what they have, it could mean huge profits for them.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0