THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW can't build a decent gutter - Why your getting Battery discharge !

11-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #89
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

So far so good,
since saturday, I had early morning drives and this morning around 6 deg's

I can tell if something is up, because the comfort access wont work, so if that let's me in the car, I know there's no problems.
no shuffling of cars at the moment trying to avoid that

still hauling the noco around until I feel safe, no draws on the car, pulling the battery down,

I would say that dashcam killed car probably in conjunction with BMW doing something when they reflashed it, or maybe not
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #90
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

and so finally putting this one to bed, day 3 ? 10km drives and 3 or 4 km drive to shops,
and all is good,
thank you all
Appreciate 1
jzeiler4320.00
      11-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #91
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

New battery was the fix? Hmmmmmm... LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #92
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
New battery was the fix? Hmmmmmm... LOL
Who would have thought
Appreciate 1
nazali1304.00
      11-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #93
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Yes except some people where telling me that replacing the battery "may not" resolve the issue, if it is something else. i.e. current drain dashcam wiring, if that wasn't resolved it would be a waste of time, which is why I did all that testing

Luckily at the last hour my BMW tech friend helped me sort out the good from the bad.

In hindsight yes your right, I've never killed a battery in 30 years with just draining it, and most cars would actually charge a battery while driving.

2 things in the mix are AGM and this dumbass BMW effciencydynamics crap

But anyway, not flogging a dead horse anymore, just reporting back
and thanks for your help and comments as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Who would have thought
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #94
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
Yes except some people where telling me that replacing the battery "may not" resolve the issue, if it is something else. i.e. current drain dashcam wiring, if that wasn't resolved it would be a waste of time, which is why I did all that testing

Luckily at the last hour my BMW tech friend helped me sort out the good from the bad.

In hindsight yes your right, I've never killed a battery in 30 years with just draining it, and most cars would actually charge a battery while driving.

2 things in the mix are AGM and this dumbass BMW effciencydynamics crap

But anyway, not flogging a dead horse anymore, just reporting back
and thanks for your help and comments as well
To me the battery got damaged probably from sitting on the lot while they didn't sell the car....

Then when you saw the error when you were buying it... the dealer probably just charged the battery and told you they replaced it....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:32 AM   #95
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I had thought of that, but Ista showed a battery registration/change at 211km's

Not sure if they go to that length to hide changing a battery from someone.
to re-register an existing battery, especially as a lot of new buyers won't even go into ista and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
To me the battery got damaged probably from sitting on the lot while they didn't sell the car....

Then when you saw the error when you were buying it... the dealer probably just charged the battery and told you they replaced it....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #96
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

My take is that BMW and Mini here in Calgary routinely replace the battery on new cars that have been sitting for a long time in storage in outside lots before sale, unless they have managed to have them in their indoor parking garage on a battery tender. It is just a matter of customer problems guaranteed to come back to them in the first winter if they sell a new car that has had the battery run down in storage, as opposed to averting the problem before sale.
Appreciate 1
nazali1304.00
      11-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #97
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

final observation:
***update****

I also sprayed a liberal amount of WD40 in/on thoes bare looking wires, thought it couldn't hurt, I do notice now after rain and opening bonnet not hearing any clicking noises (like relays) and battery has still been fine for about a week and a bit not discharging, so no parasitic drain afaik

I may consider some waxoyl, I'll run that past my BMW tech friend, or maybe incorporate WD40 in my monthly maintenance routine cycle.

An oily engine bay is a healthy one LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #98
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

actually, BMW did that to my old 1'er, I bought on as a CPO, (in it's 4th year), said they wanted to change the battery as it was looking suspect, and they did according to ista. that battery lasted 5 years, in year 6 I sold her

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
My take is that BMW and Mini here in Calgary routinely replace the battery on new cars that have been sitting for a long time in storage in outside lots before sale, unless they have managed to have them in their indoor parking garage on a battery tender. It is just a matter of customer problems guaranteed to come back to them in the first winter if they sell a new car that has had the battery run down in storage, as opposed to averting the problem before sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #99
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
final observation:
***update****

I also sprayed a liberal amount of WD40 in/on thoes bare looking wires, thought it couldn't hurt, I do notice now after rain and opening bonnet not hearing any clicking noises (like relays) and battery has still been fine for about a week and a bit not discharging, so no parasitic drain afaik

I may consider some waxoyl, I'll run that past my BMW tech friend, or maybe incorporate WD40 in my monthly maintenance routine cycle.

An oily engine bay is a healthy one LOL
Routine inspection is always good practice but it's really not necessary to coat exposed wiring with anything. You've already established that the issue was with the battery and nothing else. Also, WD40 is technically a degreaser.
Appreciate 0