THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BM3 vs MHD

04-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
Grnt
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

BM3 vs MHD

I am looking to get a tune and am debating on mhd or bm3. I have a 2016 rwd m235i and I wanted to know what would put down the most power?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

I have a 2016 M235xi with Stage 2 BM3, it's amazing get it.
      04-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Heard nothing but good for both, but leaning toward the popular BM3 myself to stack w/JB4
      04-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

BM3 tends to put a bit more power down and MHD appears to be slightly more conservative.

These tunes have been out for nearly 2 years now and now we're starting to see some of the long term effects on some cars (i.e., issues). I was dead set on getting a flash tune, but more and more people are reporting issues on the M2 and 3 and 4 series forums. Don't get me wrong, it's not widespread at all, but the tuning process can be flaky and some cars immediately have issues or develop them over time. It seems like the Stage II cars have the most issues. Lastly, BMW is on to the flash tuners. The most recent factory programming update is locking the tuners out of the DME. Keep that in mind if the car goes in for service, especially if it's under warranty. BM3 and MHD haven't found a fix and they've been working on it for over a month now.
      04-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Ive had BM3 for just about 30k miles now and have not had a single tune related issue, and thats with countless miles on track, proTUNING Freaks has the best customer service hands down. i would highly recommend BM3 and ProTuningFreaks
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2019, 02:16 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

BM3 is the best flash tune on the market with unparalleled settings, flexibility and support

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
Nandohatesyou
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 MW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
BM3 tends to put a bit more power down and MHD appears to be slightly more conservative.

These tunes have been out for nearly 2 years now and now we're starting to see some of the long term effects on some cars (i.e., issues). I was dead set on getting a flash tune, but more and more people are reporting issues on the M2 and 3 and 4 series forums. Don't get me wrong, it's not widespread at all, but the tuning process can be flaky and some cars immediately have issues or develop them over time. It seems like the Stage II cars have the most issues. Lastly, BMW is on to the flash tuners. The most recent factory programming update is locking the tuners out of the DME. Keep that in mind if the car goes in for service, especially if it's under warranty. BM3 and MHD haven't found a fix and they've been working on it for over a month now.
Now this is what leads me away from buying BM3 for my 2 series. I don't want to flash and not be able to unflash due to some update from the dealer. I'll just wait until I'm out of warranty which will be November.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

The updates only applied to S55 engines produced for the 2019 model year. It would be great if people stopped spreading misinformation.
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      05-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
Ive had BM3 for just about 30k miles now and have not had a single tune related issue, and thats with countless miles on track, proTUNING Freaks has the best customer service hands down. i would highly recommend BM3 and ProTuningFreaks
I'm planning on the stage 2 91oct OTS file, and stack it with the JB4 for basic meth control (1 nozzle setup, for cooling mostly). The power some are making on 2wd (380-390whp) is PLENTY for me.

I think when the stock turbo dies I'll get a PS2 setup and upgraded HPFP, but hoping that's not for at least 5-6 years lol. From there it'd be 400-450whp pump figures, which would be a hoot, but low boost setting on the track to stay planted. I feel that the special number for this chassis with a square 255-265 setup is right around 380-390whp.
      05-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
I'm planning on the stage 2 91oct OTS file, and stack it with the JB4 for basic meth control (1 nozzle setup, for cooling mostly). The power some are making on 2wd (380-390whp) is PLENTY for me.

I think when the stock turbo dies I'll get a PS2 setup and upgraded HPFP, but hoping that's not for at least 5-6 years lol. From there it'd be 400-450whp pump figures, which would be a hoot, but low boost setting on the track to stay planted. I feel that the special number for this chassis with a square 255-265 setup is right around 380-390whp.
Yea i mean mine made 399.8whp and im on squared 245 NT01's and its perfect on track haha. However i do have front and real aero too
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      07-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #11
DeeJay520
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6SP

Garage List
2015 M235  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post

I'm new around here, but just acquired a stock 2015 M235 6M with 18 x 8 wheels. What is the widest rear tire I can go with without any crazy modification. There goal is track usability, not looks etc. What's the rm widest front?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay520 View Post
I'm new around here, but just acquired a stock 2015 M235 6M with 18 x 8 wheels. What is the widest rear tire I can go with without any crazy modification. There goal is track usability, not looks etc. What's the rm widest front?

Thanks
18x8.5 or 18x9 (et 42) with 255 is the biggest square you can do without modifications.

To do 265 square, you’ll likely need 18x9.5, more camber and rolled fenders, plus optimal offsets.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #13
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

MHD for me. Though I have a custom tune - I’d imagine running a JB4 (if you wish) would be easier with MHD.

When it comes to OTS tunes, BM3 is stronger, but MHD is more consistent.
Appreciate 1
VPRKLR63.00
      11-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #14
MrLee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardneoark View Post
Hi guys, to give a bit of context I own a BMW M240i 2018, with a catless downpipe and K&N air filter on it, Also I live on a very high altitude (2600mt / 8500ft) which has low ambient pressure, meaning that the turbo will have to work harder to get the target boost.

Speaking on my own experience with the B58 engine, having purchased both MHD and BM3 and tested both, I would definitely go with BM3 and won't recommend MHD especially if you live at a high altitude, and plan to stick with OTS maps... here is why:

In both BM3 and MHD cases, the flash process was smooth, very fast with 0 issues, using the MHD ENET black adapter + RJ 45 cable (+ligthing to RJ45 for iPhone in the MHD flash case).
At the flash moment, I already had XHP stage 3 flashed on my car, as the transmission control unit tune.
All octanes units are AKI units.
All WOTs were taken with DSC fully off, in the same flat surface at night to lower temperatures.

------- MHD experience------
Flashed STAGE 2 93 Octane OTS map, drove the car around 100miles in different driving modes to give time to the tune to adapt, then I took a log doing a WOT on 4th gear on a flat surface: here is the WOT log: https://datazap.me/u/hardneoark/bmw-...36-37-38-39-40 Even though the midrange boost was OK The log displayed a lot of timing corrections which for sure was no good.

I sent this log to MHD via email (their only contact method), and they replied "this map is too aggressive for your ambient pressure, please install ST1 and send us a new log."
To what I replied: "So the Stage 2 OTS map is not suited for high altitudes...?"
Here's the stage 1 WOT: https://datazap.me/u/hardneoark/bmw-...og=0&data=4-17

In the second log, the timing correction was still quite messy, and the midrange boost was lowered as expected for a stage 1 tune.
After this, MHD replied:

Your hardware is not able to deliver that power in such "extreme conditions"

Fabian can you please send a revised map for very high altitude?

And so on, so it looks like they're tweaking the map... so far I haven't received any revised map yet.

Conclussion:
I get the sense that neither of STAGE 2 or 1 tunes suited my car for my altitude. Also, I felt like they sold me a STAGE 2 map that wasn't going to work for my ambient conditions... I would have expected them to adjust the STAGE 2 to work better and not just to tell me to use the STAGE 1 map.

------ BM3 experience------
Flashed STAGE 2 93 Octane map, drove the car around 100miles in different driving modes to give time to the tune to adapt, I have to say that from the first moment I tested the car, even in Drive mode the car felt different, like if it was throwing more power more easily, but let's stick to the numbers...
I took a log doing a WOT on 4th gear on a flat surface: here is the WOT log: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6164...90c67cf114e8ca In this log the timing correction is near nonexistent which is perfect, with a solid boost pressure midrange, lowering down at high rpm as it's expected for a high altitude.

Also, I flashed the STAGE 2 93+ Octane map (map for 93 octane or higher), drove the car as well for a bit, and took the WOT, here is the log:https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6164...90c67cf114e8ca In this log the boost load strategy was different, aiming to a higher timing, which lead to some timing corrections.

I sent this log to BM3 through their support portal on https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/ and they replied the following:

The first log you sent looks much better.

I'd keep using that 🙂

Stage 2 93 octane it is.

I replied:

Can you elaborate a bit more on how did you come to that conclusion? is it for the fewer timing corrections that occur in the first log?

BM3 reply:
Yup, ignition correction. You want that minimal or zero (best scenario). But the car also adapts over time.

But not only that, your stage 2 93 seems to make much more boost pressure midrange compare to the 2.0 in this case.

At this point, I thanked them and stuck with the Stage 2 93 octane map.

Conclussion:
From the beginning, the stage 2 93 octane map adapted much better to the engine, it was evident in the log results with the near 0 timing corrections, and I also get to feel that while driving the car. Also, their support was amazing, much better than MHD which never replied back to me. BM3 support took the time to analyze my logs and there was no need to adjust the maps, as the STG2 93 octane OTS map worked perfectly for my high altitude conditions.

Overall thoughts
I think BM3 is a more robust platform, their support is great and more organized as you can keep track of the tickets you open since the use the JIRA software for its ticket creation/tracking, whereas with MHD all communication happens over email. Also, the user interface for the tune has more options on the laptop than the iOS app in MHD.

About the tune itself, it seems that the BM3 OTS maps are better suited for high altitudes than MHD OTS maps, so keep that in mind when buying one of the two platforms.

So far I've been super happy with BM3, and how the car runs running their tune, so my recommendation goes to them.
This is what I was looking for... I appreciate your data. I am very doubtful about after market tune but you give the more confidence which one should I go with. BM3. Thank you again !
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 02:02 PM   #15
ManlyFlavour
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayan55 View Post
Being from CA, do you easily revert back to the OEM map before you go in for a smog check? I thought I had read somewhere that one of these tools does not allow you to revert back or something like that. I can't seem to find the post about it.
Appreciate 0