THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning P0031, P0037 and P15D9 fault fixed

10-16-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

P0031, P0037 and P15D9 fault fixed

Hi everyone,

So today I had a fault P0031, P0037 and P15D9 codes. Posting this because there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on line, and this site is usually my first stop for issues.

Long story short my O2 sensor cable for the sensor at the back of the cat was rubbing on piece of a heat shield. For a few years I had a high flow cat, and this was not an issue even with the cable that was a little short. Recently I had to change a valve cover gasket and I wasn’t as careful about the O2 sensor wire routing. Bad. There should be no tension on any of the O2 sensor cables. If you get all of these faults don’t just swap out the two O2 sensors!!!

At any rate, the O2 sensor cable wore through, shorting the heater circuit and causing these faults.

The fix: There are no fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment for the O2 sensor heaters. There are, however, fuses in the Integrated Supply Module that is mounted on the right side shock tower near the airbox. the ISM is basically a power distribution box. This unit isn’t very serviceable, but if you do have all three of these fault codes you might look at replacing the Z11 Integrated Supply Module. For the F22/23 this is BMW part number 12637591534 from RealOEM. There are a number of fuses inside, but the module is glued shut and not intended to be serviced. I did replace a fuse in mine which solved the problem, but not a pretty fix.

Things to note:

1) When installing a downpipe make sure that there is no interference or tension on the O2 sensor cables. The sensor wires should not have tension or be rubbing on anything.
2) If both heaters have failure code this indicates the fault is not in a single sensor. Don’t run out and replace both sensors – they are expensive and this might not fix the problem. The heaters in my sensors were about 3 ohms, which is not a problem on the 20 amp heater circuit.