THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 2014 M235 Plugs, Coils and Tool Input Please

09-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
Kinesthesia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

2014 M235 Plugs, Coils and Tool Input Please

My M235 has a JB4, BMS Intercooler, Charge pipes and 110k miles. Since I don't know when they were last changed, I was thinking it might be a good idea to refresh the plugs and coils.

I've seen a couple different recommended plugs :
NGK Spark Plug SILZKBR8D8S 97506
BMW ZR5TPP33 Spark Plug - Bosch 0242145515
and I've seen some mention of "1 step colder" plugs? Sadly I don't know that means.

As for coils, I saw a recent thread about Eldor coils, which included a mention about Delphi coils? I'm open to suggestions here as well.

Lastly, I've heard some recommendations for specialized plug sockets:
Burger Magnetic Spark Plug Socket
CTA 14mm 12 Point Spark Plug Swivel Socket - 1061
Anyone tried either or both?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by Kinesthesia; 09-14-2021 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I use a simple magnetic socket from ECS very similar to the Burger one you listed. Works fine. I would strongly recommend a 12" LOCKING extension though. The plugs are deep, and you don't want that socket coming off the end of the extension and getting lost down there. The magnetic sockets are better than the rubber insert sockets at a clean release, but still nice to know it's not coming off the extension.

Be very careful if you aren't using a swivel to get the extension/socket/plug lined up correctly. The plug tube is NOT on the same angle as the plug hole. The extension will be nearly touching the down side of the tube when it is straight on the plug hole. Some of the plug change videos mention this, but not all.

Also, just commit to pulling the strut brace off. It works SO much easier if you pull the brace, then the plastic shield, and then the rubber insulator pad. So many videos show people trying to pull the rubber out from under the brace and then pulling the strut brace anyway. That's dumb and you just end up shredding it on the locator posts. Yes, you might be able to swap plugs with the brace in, but the #5 is really obscured. Things will just go faster and way easier if you do it from the top down right from the start.

Oh, and be careful to wrap a rag or rubber glove around the positive jump terminal when you pull the passenger side cover. It's very close to the strut bolts and a few other things when you are working in there.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 11:43 PM   #3
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinesthesia View Post
My M235 has a JB4, BMS Intercooler, Charge pipes and 110k miles. Since I don't know when they were last changed, I was thinking it might be a good idea to refresh the plugs and coils.

I've seen a couple different recommended plugs :
NGK Spark Plug SILZKBR8D8S 97506
BMW ZR5TPP33 Spark Plug - Bosch 0242145515
and I've seen some mention of "1 step colder" plugs? Sadly I don't know that means.

As for coils, I saw a recent thread about Eldor coils, which included a mention about Delphi coils? I'm open to suggestions here as well.

Lastly, I've heard some recommendations for specialized plug sockets:
Burger Magnetic Spark Plug Socket
CTA 14mm 12 Point Spark Plug Swivel Socket - 1061
Anyone tried either or both?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Some people have had good success with the stock plugs and some haven't. Same goes for the NGK 97506. I personally use NGK's.

As for the tools, the only specialty socket is the 12 point thin wall 14mm one. I personally went with a cheap version from Amazon, again, no issues there. I use two 6" extensions attached to the ratchet. If you don't have some E-torx sockets, you may want to think about getting some to remove the strut tower brace. You could always use a regular 6 point to remove those bolts, just be careful when doing so. It definitely works, as I have done it that way, but it isn't an optimal fit.
      09-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Bm3 Stage 1 Here

M235i already uses a 1-step Colder plug than the early N55 engines. Heat Range will reduce temps by drawing out more heat & helps in highly tuned cars. stage 1 not really needed -- but stage 2 and above.
I am using the OEM Plugs with Eldor Coils - FCP Euro & BM3 S1 with I/C, Charge Pipe , Turbo Inlet Pipe , Catted DP = Runs Great.

Thin Walled Socket with Magnet
Appreciate 0