THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Car has sat for 2 months, advice on starting back up

03-11-2021, 11:21 PM   #1
MagnetarSplatter
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan, 2015 535i

Car has sat for 2 months, advice on starting back up

My F22 has sat for 2 months due to a few things going on around the house. Hasn’t been started at all. Will prob need a charge but what else should I do before starting it again? I’m thinking of doing the following:
Charge battery
Pull fuel pump fuses and turn over motor to get oil back into the top end
Take for oil change and too off with fresh gas (1/4 tank right now)

Am I missing anything?
      03-12-2021, 04:40 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

2 months really isn’t that long.

Battery reconditioning should be done with a battery tender / check instructions / in a slow charge mode.

Before starting may want to pull air filter to make sure no rodents nested in there / dependent on environment.

May want to open gas cap if possible temperature changes caused build up of fumes.

I think if you just run car in Accessory mode ignition / since my car is a manual transmission not sure how automatic push start minus clutch operates / that will prime fuel / if priming does help high pressure fuel pumps I don’t know / wonder if you really need to pull fuse to pump oil w/o starting to push oil.
Reason being, synthetic oil leaves a coating unlike petroleum oil (?).

I think things like air-conditioning oil are the items / fluids that need to get circulated the most.

A lawn mower stored nearly six-months may get fuel going bad but that’s not a certainty. Two-months is nothing. It is true engines like to be run as opposed to dormant, but that’s more like a few hundred miles over a few years.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:22 AM   #3
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

I stored mine for 2.5 months over the winter. My mechanic recommended to fill up the gas tank before storing. It started up right away, no problem.

I put some rodent deterrent under the car just in case since the car was parked outside.

It seems there isn't much to worry about if you store only for a few month as long as your battery is in good shape and you have decent fuel in the gas tank.
      03-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Yea...2 months isn't much. Start engine.... go for a drive.
Appreciate 0