THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i Conversion Therapy Needed

11-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix

M240i Conversion Therapy Needed

You’d think after lurking here for years and reading countless M235i and M240i threads I’d have no questions after pulling the trigger a week ago on a 2018 M240i Xdrive. Long story short, my daily drive has been a bigger transition from my E82 (and E36 prior) than expected and I’d be interested in hearing about your own related experiences.

I have limited resources so an M2 was out of reach and taken me well over a year to find a CPO or used in the right color, under warranty from a dealer at a price point affordable to me within a few hundred miles. I’m very grateful to have gotten the 240ix automatic for around $38k with only three thousand miles, but feel like I’ve gone from a little rocket ship to a space station--from reflexive and nimble to a beast under the hood that’s just not as much fun and a bit more “work.”

I had test driven a M240i for twenty minutes a few months back and was impressed by the sheer power and solid feel but wasn’t “spirited” with the SA next to me. I also wasn’t familiar with the modes and he flipped through them without my making a mental note. The day I bought the car—out of state—I took a short test ride with the Xdrive (with its run flats) and didn’t notice the nuances I would in the days to come. Even parallel parking is suddenly an issue due to size, mirroring and some x factor.

So, as great a car as it is, i’m feeling tinges of buyer’s remorse. Without getting into another AWD-RWD debate—also understanding exactly what electric steering feels like vs hydraulic--have any here found the “trade-offs” worth pushing through AND do you have any advice re adjustments to maximize “the BMW experience” that’s available and just have fun?

Many thanks in advance…
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plynth2697 View Post
You’d think after lurking here for years and reading countless M235i and M240i threads I’d have no questions after pulling the trigger a week ago on a 2018 M240i Xdrive. Long story short, my daily drive has been a bigger transition from my E82 (and E36 prior) than expected and I’d be interested in hearing about your own related experiences.

So, as great a car as it is, i’m feeling tinges of buyer’s remorse. Without getting into another AWD-RWD debate—also understanding exactly what electric steering feels like vs hydraulic--have any here found the “trade-offs” worth pushing through AND do you have any advice re adjustments to maximize “the BMW experience” that’s available and just have fun?

Many thanks in advance…
Put rears to 38 and fronts to 37. Put shifter in Sport and then move it to the left into manual mode but don't actually move it forward or back (which keeps the auto on). Then drive around, put a touch of throttle down in curves and assess. I suspect you may be surprised at the change in how it feels.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you, M235ForNow. That's a novel approach--one that I was unaware of---and will absolutely try!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Give time to relax and explore your M240i's size, features, and settings. It took me a while to settle in with mine, but now it surpasses even my greatest expectations.

And, get rid of your RFTs?

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 3
      11-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

My approach to solving this problem was to get the lightest configuration I could come up with: RWD, manual transmission, and no sunroof. I would have chosen manual seats if they'd been available. The car still weighs 3,422# with half a tank of gas; I'm used to much lighter cars, so to me it feels and behaves like it's a heavy car.

About the only thing I can think of is that you get sticky rubber for the summer months. That should help the car become somewhat more responsive.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, M235ForNow. That's a novel approach--one that I was unaware of---and will absolutely try!
I learned the pressure change trick from someone on this site - which is why it's such a great resource. I was quite taken aback at the change to the vehicle dynamics. Change for the better!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Give time to relax and explore your M240i's size, features, and settings. It took me a while to settle in with mine, but now it surpasses even my greatest expectations.

Oh, right - I guess the x probably came with RFTs? Summer rubber of the sort Sir Dunlop intended is all to the good (unless it's the middle of winter ...)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post

I appreciate the sage words, Steven. For the moment, I may have set my own expectations too high. Patience has never been one of my virtues but as it's taken me this long to get here, it's reasonable to invest some more time to, as you say, explore. Concurrently I can do the little things such as tire pressure and different mode combinations and whatever else makes sense.

Getting rid of the run flats is definitely in my mind when I'm a good distance into my financing...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235ForNow View Post
I learned the pressure change trick from someone on this site - which is why it's such a great resource. I was quite taken aback at the change to the vehicle dynamics. Change for the better!
Absolutely...Virtually everything I know about Bimmers has been learned from this site and the generous thoughts people have shared, many of whom are quite "spirited" themselves!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235ForNow View Post
Oh, right - I guess the x probably came with RFTs? Summer rubber of the sort Sir Dunlop intended is all to the good (unless it's the middle of winter ...)
According to the BMW Price Guide I got on this site, the original buyer could have chosen Non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but this was the hand I was dealt. I hadn't intially planned on an X for all the reasons people who prefer RWD's do, but I'd never come across a better deal and wouldnt for the foreseable future.

That said, we got a surprise snow storm in New York a few weeks ago and I had very limited control with my 128i, even with non run flats, and got stuck in a few intersections. I know that AWD is not a panacea, but still took that experience as a sign I would find AWD of value where I live!
Appreciate 1
aerobod3612.00
      11-24-2018, 10:47 PM   #11
ehjhey
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i XDrive

So my buying process for my m240x started last october when I test drove nearly the exact same spec I have now except for a couple of things. This was a pre-LCI M240 for one, and also...it was on run flats. This was a mostly blind test drive after only considering the car the night before. The ride was mostly how the average RFT experience is described...........................but even still, I was blown away by the car as a whole and decided then that it was the Car I would be buying. Luckily, almost exactly one year later I was able to find a 2018 Exec demo fully loaded with PSS's tires. Let me tell you...if possible, I would even consider selling the RFT's to put towards a set of performance tires because it makes a huge difference (at least it did for me). I'm going to try the PSI trick come summertime
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #12
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehjhey View Post
Luckily, almost exactly one year later I was able to find a 2018 Exec demo fully loaded with PSS's tires. Let me tell you...if possible, I would even consider selling the RFT's to put towards a set of performance tires because it makes a huge difference (at least it did for me).
I would definitely consider selling the RFT's, but wasn't aware of a market for used tires sold privately. Also imagine this would be local pickup only as WOW.

With regards to you finding a killer deal on an exec demo, I'm sure you didn't go through the trouble of selling your first 240i just to get PSS tires. What were the compelling reasons?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #13
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

Thumbs up

I'd say 100% of any remorse I had was to do with moving from hydraulic to eps. Its the one single thing that keeps me from fully enjoying this car and has me wondering if Im better off saving the coin and going with an older e series 135i instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:11 AM   #14
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I feel your pain.
Moving from hydraulic steering, normal aspiration into EPS and turbo you will feel less of a connection than you did.
I don't think an M2 would help that feeling of disconnect much, in fact both the n55 and s55 feel even more laggy and less like an NA engine than the b58
them's the breaks in this automotive landscape.

the good news is you can always go back if some of the suggestions you receive here don't pan out

I will say that a newer tighter car always feels better in many ways, so you may be surprised that if you try to go back that older cars will feel "tired"
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
I feel your pain.
Moving from hydraulic steering, normal aspiration into EPS and turbo you will feel less of a connection than you did.

I don't think an M2 would help that feeling of disconnect much, in fact both the n55 and s55 feel even more laggy and less like an NA engine than the b58
them's the breaks in this automotive landscape.
Love what you wrote, Baege—one part grief counseling; one part reality check. My interest in owning a 2 series goes back well over two years of living on Autotrader and became something of a mission, an itch that wouldn’t go away. The negatives I read about were existential and likely written by those who were more “picky.” And I was so mesmerized by the power and other net positives during the test drive that--along with driving tenuously-- I totally missed all the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
the good news is you can always go back if some of the suggestions you receive here don't pan out. I will say that a newer tighter car always feels better in many ways, so you may be surprised that if you try to go back that older cars will feel "tired"
Right, I can choose to focus on those “other net positives,” build on them and embrace stevenvillatoro’s beautifully articulated point about trying to work through the rest. And to your point about going back, as I’ve yet to sell my low miles 128, there’s that piece to throw into the mental gymnastics. But whatever I ultimately decide to do needs to be sorted sooner than later....
Appreciate 1
baege1328.00
      11-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Plynth,

Not sure my perspective will assist you in your deliberations, however I came from the other direction replacing an Audi S4 and a BMW 550i M Sport, which are heavier, and in the case of the 550i, larger and heavier.

I also have a modified 1997 E36 Z3 2.8 that is an absolute blast to drive (but is not like driving a MX-5); however, I wanted to replace the S4 with an AWD car that I enjoyed driving for day-to-day use and some autocrossing / track use in my spare time. The M235i xDrive was the best option from my perspective and was one of the lightest of the cars I drove that met my criteria. Although I come from the Colin Chapman school of car design and weight, the M235 feels light to me and although the steering gets a lot of heat, it is precise. I can adjust my inputs to be smoother in order to compensate for the lack of feel since it is very direct and my butt can tell me the rest of what I need to know. The car seems to respond best with a light touch.

I am still running the factory run-flat tires, which are a detriment to the handling and will be replaced in the spring with lighter tires / wheels to reduce the unsprung weight on the suspension. I am expecting a significant improvement from this change.

I am going through the same exercise you are with mine (I have had it for 6 weeks, 2 of which it was at the dealer), however the more I drive it, the more I like it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Great thread here!

I went from an E46 330Ci ZHP ,so almost a M3 - slightly modified NA engine with more HP / refine than the regular 330, to a M240i with the all season run flats. I made the mistake of getting the run flat because the dealer didn't correct me that the run flats didn't have staggered wheels / wider 8" rears / the 155 limit increase

I'd test driven the one with performance tires and there was a bit of a difference but only really felt the "oh crap, the rear end is too squirrelly when you apply ALL the power. Which I didn't do whilst test driving as I wanting to be mindful of not going over 4000 RPM in break in.

I definitely thought that the steering offered less feel than my E46. More than the pre-LCI it felt like when I drove a CPO and enough that I thought I could live with it. After driving the M240 with the B58 I found I actually liked the engine more - accelerating on to the Bay Bridge from 0 to 60 (OK, more like 80) was oh crap is that how fast am I going already fast. I did get the manual so not quite as fast as the Xdrive DCT but wanted one last manual before they are inevitably gone forever.

When I moved my E46 the other day into a new parking space, I noticed it felt much ... heavier to steer. Felt like going from power steering to non power. It was, dare I say, TOO heavy compared to electric in sport mode (comfort is WAY too light).

I drove a M2 next. Non comp tho. Wasn't out yet, or announced. The steering felt exactly the same. The power went from oh-crap fast to expletives I dare not use on a public forum. I really thought I wouldn't need it, lest I get myself into real trouble with the CHP. And I did perceive a tad more turbo lag, which realistically would be noticed more.

So I got the M240i with the intention of replacing wheels and tires and adding LSD, which my all accounts should get it to ZHP / almost M levels from what I've read. But I've since been laid off so that will have to wait.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #18
ehjhey
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i XDrive

Quote:
With regards to you finding a killer deal on an exec demo, I'm sure you didn't go through the trouble of selling your first 240i just to get PSS tires. What were the compelling reasons?

Oh I think you misunderstood me there :P I never bought the first one I test drove. As I was intending to buy a used 235i, and I was also in the middle of purchasing a condo, I needed the year to comfortably be able to afford the 240. :P
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehjhey View Post
I needed the year to comfortably be able to afford the 240. :P
Got it; we're very much singing from the same hymn book, ehjhey!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn123 View Post
Not sure my perspective will assist you in your deliberations, however I came from the other direction replacing an Audi S4 and a BMW 550i M Sport, which are heavier, and in the case of the 550i, larger and heavier.
Au contraire, Unicorn. Your perspective is highly valid as you bring a vast understanding experienced in real time across decades and numerous vehicles.

Quote:
I also have a modified 1997 E36 Z3 2.8 that is an absolute blast to drive (but is not like driving a MX-5); however, I wanted to replace the S4 with an AWD car that I enjoyed driving for day-to-day use and some autocrossing / track use in my spare time. The M235i xDrive was the best option from my perspective and was one of the lightest of the cars I drove that met my criteria. Although I come from the Colin Chapman school of car design and weight, the M235 feels light to me and although the steering gets a lot of heat, it is precise. I can adjust my inputs to be smoother in order to compensate for the lack of feel since it is very direct and my butt can tell me the rest of what I need to know. The car seems to respond best with a light touch.
I would call that an embarrassment of riches and a highly refined adaptation of your needs / preferences. "Precison," degrees thereof and capability of micro-focus is name of the game for me and I think for you.

Quote:
I am still running the factory run-flat tires, which are a detriment to the handling and will be replaced in the spring with lighter tires / wheels to reduce the unsprung weight on the suspension. I am expecting a significant improvement from this change.
Given how serious you are, including tracking / autocrossing I'm surprised you haven't made that change already. But great tires aren't cheap!

Quote:
I am going through the same exercise you are with mine (I have had it for 6 weeks, 2 of which it was at the dealer), however the more I drive it, the more I like it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
It does absolutely help as your dilemma is very similar to mine! Your fallback, however, is still owning the E36. Mine is sitting in the driveway with a toasted tranny for the past few months, thereby reducing me to a single car. A big part of me would love to keep the 128 so I'd have the best (or semi-best) of both worlds, but between financing and insurance payments, don't think I can swing it. Moreover--and this isn't frequently metnioned--but in selling a car privately, you're going to eat the entire tax, which is in the thousands. It's just not something you can tack onto the asking price and reasonably expect to make the sale.

One more point I need to make is in driving a few hundred miles of highway back from the dealership, the steering / feedback stuff were not really conscious issues for me. It was only when I got back to local roads, moving in and out of more annoying situations + parallel parking that it all rose to the surface. I ordinarily do about 30% highway; 70% local and under 10k miles annually, so I’m thinking about that now too…

Last edited by Plynth2697; 11-25-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #21
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

What mode are you in? I do Sport+ all day everyday, Sport is ok too, but I find Comfort to be completely joyless. (Legal Disclaimer: don't drive into a tree.)

Coming from manuals previously, the ZF8 took some getting used to, but is quite good. Sometimes I fall into the trap of driving lightly and wondering why it doesn't feel fast. If you push the auto, it responds appropriately, so give it some gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #22
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

It is a different car when in sport/sports compared to EcoPro/Comfort mode. The fuel consumption is not really that greatly different between comfort and Sport. For me Sport all the time especially in winter.
Appreciate 0