THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Help needed!! Dinan camber plates... need alignment specs

10-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Help needed!! Dinan camber plates... need alignment specs

As the title suggests I am looking for some alignment specs for my m235i. I'm lowered on Dinan springs/bump stops and I just added the camber plates. I'm looking for something to allow me to fit 235/35/19 in the front with my 19x8.5 et 35 in the front. Currently I'm running 225 in the front and it's too stretched out for me and rolls over the side walls on track days.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55guy View Post
As the title suggests I am looking for some alignment specs for my m235i. I'm lowered on Dinan springs/bump stops and I just added the camber plates. I'm looking for something to allow me to fit 235/35/19 in the front with my 19x8.5 et 35 in the front. Currently I'm running 225 in the front and it's too stretched out for me and rolls over the side walls on track days.
tire rolls over cause sidewall is too soft... you need a different tire... alignment won't fix roll over... but -1.8 or -2.0 should help in the front... probably same for the rear
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:
tire rolls over cause sidewall is too soft... you need a different tire... alignment won't fix roll over... but -1.8 or -2.0 should help in the front... probably same for the rear
I thought lack of camber was causing my car to understeer on track and the tire was rolling over for that reason? What tire options are there for stiffer side walls?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I thought lack of camber was causing my car to understeer on track and the tire was rolling over for that reason? What tire options are there for stiffer side walls?
Something like Direzza , RS4s or RE71R would be better for the track but not the best for the street... a dedicated set would be the ideal...

The camber will help so it will not roll over as much but....PSS will still roll

You should probably ask in the track subfforum you would get more specific feedback
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Something like Direzza , RS4s or RE71R would be better for the track but not the best for the street... a dedicated set would be the ideal...

The camber will help so it will not roll over as much but....PSS will still roll

You should probably ask in the track subfforum you would get more specific feedback
Thanks for the responses, they are much appreciated. I guess I'll start looking into a dedicated track set. I see alignment specs all over the place. Looks like you're pretty knowledgeable... what do you think about these ones?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, they are much appreciated. I guess I'll start looking into a dedicated track set. I see alignment specs all over the place. Looks like you're pretty knowledgeable... what do you think about these ones?
That looks pretty good.... -2.5 in the front is a bit aggressive... meaning you will wear the inside quite a bit on the street
Toe you want it between 0 to below 4/32th to help turn in

So you either change alignment every time you go to the track or basically you set it somewhere in the middle so it's ok for the track but doesn't destroy your tires for the street if it makes sense....

something between around -1.5 to -2 should be a good compromise
Appreciate 1
N55guy214.00
      03-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have u considered alligning to around 1.5 degrees camber up front for the street (or whatever u like for the street) and just doing the 5 minute camber adjustment on the camber plates at the track? Or visa versa? Allign for track and adjust plates for street

Installing GC camber plates soon so very interested what u think
      03-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEda235i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have u considered alligning to around 1.5 degrees camber up front for the street (or whatever u like for the street) and just doing the 5 minute camber adjustment on the camber plates at the track? Or visa versa? Allign for track and adjust plates for street

I like the idea of that but can you?
I guess I don't know enough about alignment specs. I was under the impression that if one thing changes (camber) other things change too (caster, toe, etc)? Personally I've never done that or understood it enough to mess with it myself so that's why I never thought of doing what you suggested
Feel free share your thoughts. If you can do that, that is exactly what I want to do
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 09:05 AM   #9
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I guess I don't know enough about alignment specs. I was under the impression that if one thing changes (camber) other things change too (caster, toe, etc)? Personally I've never done that or understood it enough to mess with it myself so that's why I never thought of doing what you suggested
Feel free share your thoughts. If you can do that, that is exactly what I want to do
Usually when u change one apec the others may change a little as well. However the camber plates are designed for this so I would hope it doesnt affect toe and caster much if at all. Only way to find out for your car wpuld be to adjust it while on the alignment rack i guess. My plates are on the way. Lmk if u try this before i do. I'll lyk about mine as well
      03-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Usually when u change one apec the others may change a little as well. However the camber plates are designed for this so I would hope it doesnt affect toe and caster much if at all. Only way to find out for your car wpuld be to adjust it while on the alignment rack i guess. My plates are on the way. Lmk if u try this before i do. I'll lyk about mine as well
I'm going in for M performance LSD install and new tires/alignment. I'll keep you posted
Appreciate 0