THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) which type of power washer for foam cannon

11-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

which type of power washer for foam cannon

electric or gas, any drawbacks to either ?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

I've owned more than a few pressure washers over the years. Both electric and gas. Looking at the foam cannon specs they say you need 1000psi and 2.0 gpm. An electric will do the first but 2gpm is a lot for electric. For general use I prefer gas. They are more expensive but most of the electric ones don't seem to last very long. I did find a brand of electric that has lasted many years, my son has it now. I can look it up if you want. Second, with the electric you have two cords to deal with. Power and water. They are always a bit underpowered. The engines in a gas unit will last a very long time if cared for. The better units have pumps that can be replaced or rebuilt. It's a bigger investment but I see good, little used units on Craigs for under $200 all the time. Once you have one you'll find other uses. I have the cleanest cars in the county in the winter since I blast the snow and goop off before it comes into the garage. My current model is an Excel with a Honda motor. 2500psi @ 2.5gpm. Paid $150 on Craigs.

Last edited by CO_Steve; 11-18-2017 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
I've owned more than a few pressure washers over the years. Both electric and gas. Looking at the foam cannon specs they say you need 1000psi and 2.0 gpm. An electric will do the first but 2gpm is a lot for electric. For general use I prefer gas. They are more expensive but most of the electric ones don't seem to last very long. I did find a brand of electric that has lasted many years, my son has it now. I can look it up if you want. Second, with the electric you have two cords to deal with. Power and water. They are always a bit underpowered. The engines in a gas unit will last a very long time if cared for. The better units have pumps that can be replaced or rebuilt. It's a bigger investment but I see good, little used units on Craigs for under $200 all the time. Once you have one you'll find other uses. I have the cleanest cars in the county in the winter since I blast the snow and goop off before it comes into the garage. My current model is an Excel with a Honda motor. 2500psi @ 2.5gpm. Paid $150 on Craigs.
Thanks, may try used.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Same here for me, as far as gas vs. electric goes. Have gone through a number of electric models, they don't seem to last very long. Have had a 13hp Honda / 3800 psi / 4 gpm DeWalt branded gas model for ten years, still running strong. The other thing is with a more powerful gas model, you can always turn down the pressure, and you can use it to clean a house, driveway, etc.
      11-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
electric or gas, any drawbacks to either ?
Just purchased my first gas pressure washer, very pleased with the extra power and versatility. I have owned three electric models over the last 5 years, I used to prefer electric since washing a boat late at night after an evening of fishing with an electric model is much more neighbor friendly. But other than washing a boat, the electric model just did not have the power to clean other items effectively such as driveways and house siding.

I would advise to do a bit of homework since not all gas pressure washers are the same. Some of the low end gas powered models can’t reach 2 GPM. The first model I purchased, I had to return 2 months later. If you plan to use it more often, especially if you have a good size home with a large driveway then try to spring more cash for a heavy duty model.

I purchased mine from Amazon, its been rock solid so far, here is the model information:

SIMPSON Cleaning MSH3125-S 3100 PSI at 2.5 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Powered by HONDA with OEM Technologies Axial Cam Pump

Curious to know what brand / model foam cannon your going to use, going to look into getting one myself.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

I've got both a Subrau Gas Presure washer (3100psi 2.4gpm)

And an electic Pressure-Pro washer (3000psi, 3gm)

Hands down the Pressure-Pro is my go to machine if I have 220v avaiable. In my experience almost all gas powered washers will wake the dead (or the nieghbors) at 8am on a Sunday morning. As far as the foam cannon goes the MTM Professional Foam Cannon with a 2.5 - 3.0 gpm pressure washer gives far better results than lower rated consumer washers and cannons. So, what is the down side to a professional electric washer? Well, the Pressure-Pro is 10X the price of the Subrau. But, the pump is rebuildable using an inexpensive rebuild kit, so the whole system will last a very long time compared to consumer grade washers.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
syclonedriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

I have had 4 electric and 1 gas pressure washer over the years.
I currectly have 2 electric and 1 gas.

My Karcher M520 is 20 years old and still works great. At the time I purchase it, it was the most powerful 110v units that I could find. These days I keep it at the lake and use it on the sailboat.

My Sears gas unit is powerful, starts easily and has a lot of nice features. It's also noisy, smelly, the fuel slowly leaks out and every so often a bolt vibrates out. I don't use it much.

Recently I purchased an AR Blue Clean AR630-TSS-HOT, AR foam cannon and an undercarrage wand. I also installed a hot/cold faucet at the garage. It is very powerful for a 110v machine, it is also quite. I really like the foam cannon, I had never used one before.

I prefer electric. I find the GPH a better indicator of preformance.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've had good luck with the AR Blue electrics as well.
The list of electrics I haven't had good luck with is long, though I hear Karcher is good too.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep

I see that in my latest Griots Garage circular they are selling an electric pressure washer.
1.4 gallons/min
Up to 2,050 psi
$248

I’ve never regretted purchasing from G.G. - great customer service.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #10
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've never bought from Griots but their stuff always seemed pricey to me.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...sure+washer.do

I've had good luck with AR products and this looked like one so...

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ar-...kaAgHpEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0