THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Intake & Stage 2 Tune

11-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #177
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Apologize for the delayed response. Was on a week and a half long vacation and apparently no one bothered to check the social channels in my absence. =/

V2 is an evolution from V1 that irons out some reliability issues that occur in a minority population of V1 units. Power curve has been altered, and specifically, some torque values reduced to allow for a more reliable solution. Pricing has been reduced as a result to compensate for those differences as well.

As far as current V1 owners go there is nothing to worry about. There is nothing wrong with the V1 units. The vast majority of units have no issues but not all vehicles are created equal and there are a few that straddle the limits of what the factory system deems acceptable. If you ultimately do experience an issue you will go through the typical troubleshooting/warranty path. That path may end with a replacement to a V2 or it may not depending on what the problem may be.

As far as stage 2 is concerned -- It remains to be seen what exact form stage 2 will take. Regardless of its form an upgrade path from V1 or V2 will be provided for.
Thank you for the response Dinan_Engineering

My only concern is the bolded part.

On one hand you say if V1 owners had their harness replaced then there is nothing to worry about but then your statement seems to indicate that the power was reduced because of reliability concerns.

So how can the V1 owners be sure we wont run into reliability issues since our tune is making more power, power that Dinan reduced because of reliability concerns???
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #178
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Update on my Dinan intake.

Install completed on Friday.
It was pretty simple.
I need to thank @rickd for giving a few tips on install Dinan missed, these helped a lot.
Quote:
The instructions were a bit off, the clips for lid should be bent back away from the box and then back in towards the box to remove them. Then the bottom silicone host should be installed first, then put in the tube and intake box. You can't get to the screw to tighten the hose clamp on the turbo intake.
As for how it feels?

Well IMO I feel like the car has actually lost a tad from 1-3k RPM's but has more top end 5+k.

Could it all be in my mind??? Maybe but impossible to say now because I'm not uninstalling it to find out.

I'm looking forward to a Stage 2 tune that maybe can optimize the potential of this intake.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Scadam245.50
      11-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #179
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Same here - never had problems - then in June had a CEL which recurred - replaced the harness and it's been fine. Over 26,000 miles with the Stage 1. I am very satisfied with the performance and the customer support Dinan provided.
I'd feel much better w/ a new harness on my car (seems to have fixed most other's problems going forward). My BMW Svc mgr didn't think I needed a new harness when I threw the CEL. He said if I threw another one, he'd order a new harness.

If Dinan offers the Stage 2 before my warranty expires (2 years from now), maybe that will put to rest my concerns of potential CELs since all components should be thoroughly tested.

I will talk to him again when I bring my car in for the Dinan Intake install and it's yearly oil change and service.
Appreciate 1
Scadam245.50
      11-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #180
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

On one hand you say if V1 owners had their harness replaced then there is nothing to worry about but then your statement seems to indicate that the power was reduced because of reliability concerns.

So how can the V1 owners be sure we wont run into reliability issues since our tune is making more power, power that Dinan reduced because of reliability concerns???
I had similar thoughts.

I'm on my 3rd v1 ECU/Harness because of recurring CEL, error code and drive-train malfunction issues.
I'm sure that if the v2 had been available a couple of months ago when my second v1 unit failed, they would have replaced it with a v2, not another v1.

If the torque has been reduced to improve reliability, should I request a v2 replacement to avoid future issues? And if I do, would my dealer and Dinan honor the request?

Dinan_Engineering , any official policy on this for the unlucky few of us that have had recurring issues on multiple v1 units?
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #181
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

"More reliable" due to lowered torque is referring to a much higher probability to reduce vehicles that have CELs due to being on the fringe of acceptable limits from the get go. Perhaps "reliable" is a bad word to use. "More acceptable" doesn't really sound right though either. Fact is if the car doesn't have consistently recurring CELs then you are perfectly fine since your vehicle is not a "fringe car".

As noted previously the offhand CEL once every 10k mile or whatever is not the same thing and typically is a result of a check fault when for whatever the reason the normal order of operations doesn't occur on start-up or shut down. As an example, the shutdown sequence of a car may be 10 seconds long. If the DINANTRONICS shuts off before that 10 seconds (even 9.999999 seconds) a check will be run and signals will not match resulting in a CEL. Upon key cycle it will go away. There are a lot of scenarios where something similar can occur but it is not something that actually adversely affects the car. While we would love to never have those occur the sheer amount of signals and the randomness of how the factory systems can sometimes operate means it will never be 100% fail safe. Just like fringe cars there will be fringe processes that don't happen the exact same, every time.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #182
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I had similar thoughts.

I'm on my 3rd v1 ECU/Harness because of recurring CEL, error code and drive-train malfunction issues.
I'm sure that if the v2 had been available a couple of months ago when my second v1 unit failed, they would have replaced it with a v2, not another v1.

If the torque has been reduced to improve reliability, should I request a v2 replacement to avoid future issues? And if I do, would my dealer and Dinan honor the request?

Dinan_Engineering , any official policy on this for the unlucky few of us that have had recurring issues on multiple v1 units?
Any "request" would need to have documentation of history and go through the normal warranty channels (support ticket, troubleshooting, etc). From my understanding though unless there is a problem a straight request just to switch to V2 (without a present problem), will not be honored.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #183
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Any "request" would need to have documentation of history and go through the normal warranty channels (support ticket, troubleshooting, etc). From my understanding though unless there is a problem a straight request just to switch to V2 (without a present problem), will not be honored.
Dinan_Engineering That makes sense. Thanks.

Apologies for the off-topic tangent.
Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Watching and waiting for stage 2 tune...
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #184
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Looking forward to the Dinan_Engineering Flash tune, going to jump to that when it is available!
      12-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #185
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

I was told there is no ETA on stage 2 yet. Still deciding which route to take. Late early development.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #186
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

Since the v2 unit is "Not legal for sale or use in California." and I am located in CA, does this mean if I were to some how obtain the unit and I have a warranty issue that Dinan would not cover it?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #187
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyu177 View Post
Since the v2 unit is "Not legal for sale or use in California." and I am located in CA, does this mean if I were to some how obtain the unit and I have a warranty issue that Dinan would not cover it?
That's a good question. Applying a bit of reason to it, I would see no reason why Dinan would not cover it since the tuner is the same regardless of what state you happen to be in. Now Calif may not pass the emissions test on the car, but Dinan should cover it regardless of where the car is being driven.

Of course logic and reason isn't always the order of the day in our current society.

The V1 was Calif legal, so you could always try and procure one of those.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #188
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyu177 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
That's a good question. Applying a bit of reason to it, I would see no reason why Dinan would not cover it since the tuner is the same regardless of what state you happen to be in. Now Calif may not pass the emissions test on the car, but Dinan should cover it regardless of where the car is being driven.

Of course logic and reason isn't always the order of the day in our current society.

The V1 was Calif legal, so you could always try and procure one of those.
Warranty is still covered. However I will note that there is a fair number of shops in CA that want nothing to do with potential CARB fallout/fines and will refuse to work on a car if it has non-CARB approved products on the vehicle. So keep that in mind.

As far as V1 goes --- that was never CARB approved either. Paperwork was submitted and it was in the queue for testing/EO but it was/is not all the way through the process. V2 will ultimately be the same but we have not submitted the paperwork to CARB so it is a bit further behind in the process. Paperwork will be officially submitted on V2 before the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #189
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

My car threw another CEL the other day. Taking it to BMW this morning.

Car has been fine but I do drive in comfort mode 99 44/100 % of the time. Tues after getting some Shell Top Tier 93 octane (1/2 tank) I put the car in sport and moved the shifter to the M/S side. Rolling about 15 MPH I gave it half throttle just to feel and hear the power..ran it up to about 60 MPH and on deceleration, low and behold, a CEL appeared.

Car still ran and sounded fine, but knowing the V1 issues, thought I'd have BMW run the code and see if was the same as before.

Mine is one of the early installed so I know my harness is likely 1st gen. Debating about asking Svc mgr if he thinks a new Harness would solve the problem. Unfortunately, he wasn't aware of any issues with the Dinan Elite tune until I mentioned the CEL's by other forum members.

I'm two years into my warranty now. Since I rarely run the car in Sport and keeping the current set up, if after warranty expires each of these visits will cost me out of pocket for a car that is otherwise trouble-free. I seriously thought about keeping this car for the long term, since it about perfect for me.

If I'm going to be having ongoing issues (and a CEL after running Sport mode is a issue IMO) my options are dumping the car (current has 6k miles on it) at the end of warranty ( so it will be a 12K mile 4 year old M240i) or pulling the Dinan tune off the car and just keep the Dinan intake installed. Hate to do that since $1399 is a rather tidy sum to waste on something that you can't use.

I just want a reliable car that won't give me problems going forward. I'm not a "speed racer" type that runs the car in sport or drives like a hooligan on every outing, just the opposite. But I do enjoy knowing the car I have can be fast should I choose to try it occasionally. (A one time 15-60 MPH 1/2 throttle run w/ a CEL at the end isn't what I would expect, and likely the extend of my racing forays).

I'm not wanting to run my car in sport and race around town each time I drive just to build a case for a new harness or a v2 tune module. I take very good care of my cars (low miles and not abused) and will continue to do so since they are a very big investment.

Not quibbling over Dyno numbers or 1/4 mile times or some other mundane variable, only a CEL issue that indicates to me a problem w/ my $55K basically still new car.

I suppose if CEL issues were covered life-time, I wouldn't be concerned, but they are not (nor should they be). They just shouldn't happen at all.

I will follow up w/ the code the dealership found and what they propose to do going forward. Hope to get this resolved so I won't be leery each time I drive this car. I am of a age where I do not want nor need any self inflicted drama in my life.

Dinan comes with a great reputation for solid, well engineered and trouble free performance upgrades. That's why I chose them (otherwise I'd have left the car stock). Don't know what happened here. We know the B58 is capable of more performance, perhaps the Stage 1 v1 changes something that the car computer just doesn't like.

More later..................................
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #190
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I'd say get the harness replaced - I drive in Sport all the time and Sport + when the mood hits. Based on what you state, I drive harder than you do and since I've gotten a harness replacement zero issues. Before the replacement I only had mutiple CEL's (3) in one month and the replacement solved that.

Quote:
My car threw another CEL the other day. Taking it to BMW this morning.

More later..................................
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #191
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Hopefully V2 solves the issue for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #192
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car threw another CEL the other day. Taking it to BMW this morning...
Sorry to hear that you got another.
In your place, knowing what we know from hanging around here, I would request/insist that the v1 unit be replaced with a v2 unit.
Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #193
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Back from BMW. Code checker showed car threw the same code as before. Code was cleared and Svc Mgr will call Dinan today and let me know. Work order is left open until issue is resolved.

Since he didn't/doesn't know much of any Stage 1 problems/challenges, I told him new harness seemed to have resolved a percentage of the issues. He did know about the V2 Elite but didn't know what it actually changed compared to the V1. Told him, less connections on the tuner and less torque.

Really don't care what they do as long as the issue is resolved. I traded a 2015 C7w/ less then 3K miles because of the horrible A8 automatic transmission. Doing occasionally w/ the C7 what I do w/ the M240i, The tranny would lurch and buck when you resume normal driving - so bad that I actually thought someone rear-ended me at a stop light. Loved the car, hated driving it so I traded it for this one.......Now this!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #194
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Back from BMW. Code checker showed car threw the same code as before. Code was cleared and Svc Mgr will call Dinan today and let me know. Work order is left open until issue is resolved.

Since he didn't/doesn't know much of any Stage 1 problems/challenges, I told him new harness seemed to have resolved a percentage of the issues. He did know about the V2 Elite but didn't know what it actually changed compared to the V1. Told him, less connections on the tuner and less torque.

Really don't care what they do as long as the issue is resolved. I traded a 2015 C7w/ less then 3K miles because of the horrible A8 automatic transmission. Doing occasionally w/ the C7 what I do w/ the M240i, The tranny would lurch and buck when you resume normal driving - so bad that I actually thought someone rear-ended me at a stop light. Loved the car, hated driving it so I traded it for this one.......Now this!
Why don't you get yourself a code reader to check/clear them yourself. You can always record them take a picture etc for future use. I would never spend so much time driving to the dealer myself (and we all know the chance of them taking care of it the first time around).
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      12-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #195
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

That does make sense particularly if my car was out of warranty (and the code apparently is not a critical fault).

I would rather have the dealer keep a record of issues so some action can be taken to resolve them from happening in the future.

Yes it is a pain to drive the 20 miles, but without a BMW mechanic doing the test work and a recording it in the car's history, it may be more difficult to get problem resolved going forward.

This is the second time the car threw a CEL. Svc manager told after the first one, if it threw another he would get something done through Dinan. He is contacting Dinan for a resolution (whether it's a new harness or a .v2 stage 1). It certainly would be hard for my dealer to tell me to live with knowing I bought the car there (and if they hope to sell me another) and had all my Dinan stuff bought and installed through them as a Dinan dealership.

I'm trusting those relationships will solve my problem permanently.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #196
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

And I hope the refund you $ when they change the V1 for the cheaper V2 ... didn't hear that happen but it should.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #197
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
And I hope the refund you $ when they change the V1 for the cheaper V2 ... didn't hear that happen but it should.
Yeah, I saw the price diff, but at this point more interested in having my car operate as advertised. I'm willing to forgo the $200 price diff for no CEL's.
Not expecting any refunds...hoping they don't deny me a new harness or a .v2 if harness doesn't solve issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #198
thezelies
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40I 2017 M240i vert

Smile New Harness fixed my issues

Like WolfGTI, I had the CEL, got a new harness and no CELs since. I drive the car hard at times, with no issues. My service advisor didn't mess around, he was pretty insistent to Dinan to get a new harness. I hope you get satisfaction.