THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions BimmerCode

05-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #133
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Sure, no problem. just went out and tried mine again. Ignition off, plugged in the vgate. I didn't have to press the "power" button in the vgate though...connected fine. Maybe it is a bad adapter. sorry I couldn't help
How is it possible to communicate with car without at least ignition?
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #134
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Sure, no problem. just went out and tried mine again. Ignition off, plugged in the vgate. I didn't have to press the "power" button in the vgate though...connected fine. Maybe it is a bad adapter. sorry I couldn't help
How is it possible to communicate with car without at least ignition?
I assume the car has some power activated just by virtue of unlocking the car....that said I do actually start the car when I use the app
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #135
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Thanks again for trying to help.

I did a You Tube search on "Vgate iCar 2" and there are a number of videos showing these units not working correctly (as well as plenty showing them working correctly too).

I'm guessing these adapters simply have a quality control problem and that I just need to order a replacement.

One of the reviews on Amazon mentioned the first one received did not work but a replacement worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 02:29 AM   #136
DJEwen
Oil Prostitute
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M240i AW 6MT Coral 405Ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor01 View Post
Went ahead and coded a whole bunch of things in my new M240i; the application is really easy to use, so it was a breeze. Once I was done though, I found out that the auto rev-match feature would no longer work. Don't know why that is, I haven't seen anything that could be related in the settings.

Anyways... restored everything from backup, car is now back to normal. I'll probably try again later on, but in a more gradual fashion.
Raptor, can you expand on the 'Whole bunch of things'? Auto Rev-Match is a love it hate it relationship but I imagine a lot of people would be keen to know how to code it off and likewise know how to avoid doing so.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #137
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post

I did a You Tube search on "Vgate iCar 2" and there are a number of videos showing these units not working correctly (as well as plenty showing them working correctly too).

I'm guessing these adapters simply have a quality control problem and that I just need to order a replacement.

One of the reviews on Amazon mentioned the first one received did not work but a replacement worked fine.
Late last night I was actually able to get Bimmercode connected to the car twice by pulling the Vgate out of the OBD plug, letting the car go to sleep, reinstalling the VGate, turning the ignition on, pressing the power button on the Vgate, and then starting Bimmercode on my iPad. But after a couple minutes I received a "connection timed out" message.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #138
Raptor01
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Coupe RWD, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEwen View Post
Raptor, can you expand on the 'Whole bunch of things'? Auto Rev-Match is a love it hate it relationship but I imagine a lot of people would be keen to know how to code it off and likewise know how to avoid doing so.
Sure... keep in mind I didn't take any notes, but here's what I do remember coding:

- Active Sound Design Not active
- Air circulation setting memory Active
- Air conditioning memory Active
- Fold mirrors when locking with Comfort Access Active
- Unfold mirrors when unlocking with Comfort Access Active
- Bootlid opening delay with remote control 2 seconds
- Switch off headunit/radio when opening door Active
- Switch on LEDs in the door handles on reverse Active
- Start Stop function off by default Active
- Legal disclaimers Not active
- M Sport display Active
- Siri Eyes Free Active
- Start in ECO PRO mode Not active

Dunno which of these could possibly switch off rev-matching... maybe it's a combination of things?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #139
Raptor01
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Late last night I was actually able to get Bimmercode connected to the car twice by pulling the Vgate out of the OBD plug, letting the car go to sleep, reinstalling the VGate, turning the ignition on, pressing the power button on the Vgate, and then starting Bimmercode on my iPad. But after a couple minutes I received a "connection timed out" message.
Got a bunch of those at first, until I turned off CarPlay and Bluetooth on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #140
dj2020
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Went ahead and coded a whole bunch of things in my new M240i; the application is really easy to use, so it was a breeze. Once I was done though, I found out that the auto rev-match feature would no longer work. Don't know why that is, I haven't seen anything that could be related in the settings.

Anyways... restored everything from backup, car is now back to normal. I'll probably try again later on, but in a more gradual fashion.
I accidentally turned off the auto rev match when I coded 'clutch depress to start car' inactive. Or it could be other way around. Either way, check that setting and try.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #141
Raptor01
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
I accidentally turned off the auto rev match when I coded 'clutch depress to start car' inactive. Or it could be other way around. Either way, check that setting and try.
Thanks, I'll look into it later this week!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 06:18 AM   #142
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Looks like I was correct about this.

I ordered a replacement for the Vgate from a different Amazon vendor. The replacement unit is working fine, and it was obvious that he had not been previously opened the way the first one did.

So the first one is going back to U Car Technology today with a big thank you for wasting hours of my time trying to figure out why the one they sent me would not work. Obviously it had been returned before.

If anyone is going to order one of these, I would strongly suggest they order it from the Amazon vendor Carding Tech instead. Take a look at the difference in Amazon reviews between the two vendors. It should've been obvious to me who to order this from the first time. I will be adding my review of U Car Technology in a few minutes.

Thank you again to the forum members who tried to help me on this.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      06-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #143
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Looks like I was correct about this.

I ordered a replacement for the Vgate from a different Amazon vendor. The replacement unit is working fine, and it was obvious that he had not been previously opened the way the first one did.

So the first one is going back to U Car Technology today with a big thank you for wasting hours of my time trying to figure out why the one they sent me would not work. Obviously it had been returned before.

If anyone is going to order one of these, I would strongly suggest they order it from the Amazon vendor Carding Tech instead. Take a look at the difference in Amazon reviews between the two vendors. It should've been obvious to me who to order this from the first time. I will be adding my review of U Car Technology in a few minutes.

Thank you again to the forum members who tried to help me on this.
I did the same sort of bullshit when I ordered a WiFi one to use with OBD app. Spent hours before realizing the unit was crap. Got a different brand and 30 seconds later I was in business.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #144
Raptor01
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Bingo, that was it. Coded my car again last night and now rev-matching is working as it should.
Appreciate 1
dj202093.50
      06-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #145
shark715
Captain
Rep

Looks like I was able to turn on the Variable Light Distribution and Anti Dazzle Headlight features using Bimmercode as our 235 has the optional automatic highbeams here in the U.S.

I think these features are very useful, and I've read elsewhere that the BMW doesn't offer the Anti Dazzle system here as it has not been approved by the federal government.

First of all I noticed that as the car is accelerating, the automatic highbeams will now turn on as early as 25 mph, and if they are on they will turn off when the car goes slower than 18 mph. Before they would never work below about 35 mph, and I think they are useful on dark local streets, and the VLD helps too by adjusting the headlights downward at slow speeds to light up the street surface to a greater degree.

I also noticed below 40 mph the high beams will always turn off if there is an oncoming car or car within a certain distance in front of you. Above 40 mph the high beams may shut off, or they may adjust depending on what the camera thinks what it's seeing.

I used Bimmercode's Expert Mode in conjunction with the Cheat Sheet. Everything that needs to be changed is within the 3073 module (Bimmercode shows it as "LaMaster1") of the Front Electronic Module (FEM_BODY as shown on the Cheat Sheet). I'm far from an expert, but somehow I got through it.

The Cheat Sheet shows 2 changes are needed for VLA:

In C_AFS_ENA I unchecked the two lines that contain "disable", and checked the the two lines that contain "enable".

In LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y I unchecked the two lines that contain 0xB0, and checked the two lines that contain 0x9C three times.

And the Cheat Sheet shows three changes are needed for the antidazzle feature:

In C_HBA_ENA I unchecked the two lines that contain "disable", and checked the the two lines that contain "enable".

In C_HBA_GRHB_ENA I made no changes. The default seems to be having the two lines that contain "Codierwert" checked.

In C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA I unchecked the two lines containing "disable", and checked the line containing "enable".

Note that you need to press "Code" before you leave FEM-BODY and return to the list of ECU's. In my case after coding was complete I saw an instrument panel message that said something like "Front Collision System not working" (which I ignored), and then the engine stalled, but I was able to restart it immediately.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2017, 01:31 AM   #146
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Looks like I was able to turn on the Variable Light Distribution and Anti Dazzle Headlight features using Bimmercode as our 235 has the optional automatic highbeams here in the U.S.
VLD uses just low beams & fogs/cornering lamps.

NGHB uses high beams.

If you look at any of the posted guides to code NGHB, NA vehicles need to also code LHM or FLE. Did you?

The US F3x's lack the optic microshutters. Does your F22 have them?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 04:02 AM   #147
dj2020
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bingo, that was it. Coded my car again last night and now rev-matching is working as it should.
Glad that fixed it!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #148
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
VLD uses just low beams & fogs/cornering lamps.

NGHB uses high beams.

If you look at any of the posted guides to code NGHB, NA vehicles need to also code LHM or FLE. Did you?

The US F3x's lack the optic microshutters. Does your F22 have them?
I have no idea what NGHB, LHM, FLE, or optic microshutters are. Obviously you know far more regarding coding than I do. Are you saying I did not achieve what I think I did?

As I mentioned to you in a different thread, I chose to use a product like Bimmercode to try to do this. I did see the info on ISTA+ and ENET, and candidly was a bit scared away by it as my computer literacy is merely average. Looks significantly more complicated and I was not clear how current some of the data was.

No doubt I probably could have waded my way through it after investing some time, but I came to the conclusion that in my case the approximately $50 investment in Bimmercode (for the Vgate and the Bimmercode coding fee) would be worth it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #149
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea what NGHB, LHM, FLE, or optic microshutters are. Obviously you know far more regarding coding than I do. Are you saying I did not achieve what I think I did?

As I mentioned to you in a different thread, I chose to use a product like Bimmercode to try to do this. I did see the info on ISTA+ and ENET, and candidly was a bit scared away by it as my computer literacy is merely average. Looks significantly more complicated and I was not clear how current some of the data was.

No doubt I probably could have waded my way through it after investing some time, but I came to the conclusion that in my case the approximately $50 investment in Bimmercode (for the Vgate and the Bimmercode coding fee) would be worth it.

Thanks.
NGHB = No Glare High Beams (AKA Anti-dazzle headlamps).

LHM and FLE are lighting modules. Your car has one or the other and they define both the intensity (ie brightness) as well as light patterns under different conditions. Optic microshutters are what shape the light beam pattern and are required for a system to work.

I am saying that unless you coded FLA or KAFAS (Driver's Assist Camera), lighting modules, and Fem_body, then system is not working as intended.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #150
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
NGHB = No Glare High Beams (AKA Anti-dazzle headlamps).

LHM and FLE are lighting modules. Your car has one or the other and they define both the intensity (ie brightness) as well as light patterns under different conditions. Optic microshutters are what shape the light beam pattern and are required for a system to work.

I am saying that unless you coded FLA or KAFAS (Driver's Assist Camera), lighting modules, and Fem_body, then system is not working as intended.
Thanks. I think I'm beginning to understand.

I did read the Adaptive Headlight thread from the F30 forum that you included the link to.

Looks like there's a substantial dispute over whether the anti-dazzle feature can be fully implemented on U.S. spec F30's.

I don't know how to tell if my F23 has the shutters. Perhaps it does given that the car was assembled in Germany? (unlike many of the F30's which are assembled in South Africa from what I understand.) If there's merely a minor difference in cost it would certainly be far easier to use the same hardware for all cars on an assembly line. My headlights have no labels that I can refer to the pictures that were posted on the F30 thread. BTW we did do European delivery, but I assume that did not make any difference in the headlight hardware installed at the factory.

I think you saying that I now have some, but not all, of the VLD and anti-dazzle features? Where would I find LHM, FLE, FLA, and KAFAS?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #151
shark715
Captain
Rep

Bimmercode can't seem to read my Advanced Crash Safety Module. I get a message that says "Error While Reading Coding Data".

I wanted to change some of the seatbelt reminder settings.

Any ideas how to work around this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #152
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I think I'm beginning to understand.

I did read the Adaptive Headlight thread from the F30 forum that you included the link to.

Looks like there's a substantial dispute over whether the anti-dazzle feature can be fully implemented on U.S. spec F30's.

I don't know how to tell if my F23 has the shutters. Perhaps it does given that the car was assembled in Germany? (unlike many of the F30's which are assembled in South Africa from what I understand.) If there's merely a minor difference in cost it would certainly be far easier to use the same hardware for all cars on an assembly line. My headlights have no labels that I can refer to the pictures that were posted on the F30 thread. BTW we did do European delivery, but I assume that did not make any difference in the headlight hardware installed at the factory.

I think you saying that I now have some, but not all, of the VLD and anti-dazzle features? Where would I find LHM, FLE, FLA, and KAFAS?
The optic microshutters can not be purchased separately. They are small pieces and does not make a lot of sense to have different components, but BMW did it. Whether made in North Carolina, Mexico, South Africa, or Germany as well as EU delivery makes no difference. US market, on certain chassis, just did not get microshutters.

Some are still think it is up for debate; but, in my mind, it is just facts and US market did not get the same hardware.

VLD only requires Fem_Body coding of two functions.
  • C_AFS_ENA
  • LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
Whether it is working, as intended, depends on if vehicle has shutters. But, less likely to glare other drivers.

NGHB does require additional coding on lighting modules and camera ECU. Without microshutters, you are guaranteed to glare other drivers. I do not have BimmerCode app, so not sure how it works. But, you would have either LHM/TMS x 2 (driver's and passenger side) or FLE x 2 for lighting. Plus, you were have either FLA or KAFAS camera part of driver's assist. FLA visually looks different than KAFAS. The ladder is flush with windshield.

FLA:

View post on imgur.com

KAFAS:

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #153
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The optic microshutters can not be purchased separately. They are small pieces and does not make a lot of sense to have different components, but BMW did it. Whether made in North Carolina, Mexico, South Africa, or Germany as well as EU delivery makes no difference. US market, on certain chassis, just did not get microshutters.

Some are still think it is up for debate; but, in my mind, it is just facts and US market did not get the same hardware.

VLD only requires Fem_Body coding of two functions.
  • C_AFS_ENA
  • LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
Whether it is working, as intended, depends on if vehicle has shutters. But, less likely to glare other drivers.

NGHB does require additional coding on lighting modules and camera ECU. Without microshutters, you are guaranteed to glare other drivers. I do not have BimmerCode app, so not sure how it works. But, you would have either LHM/TMS x 2 (driver's and passenger side) or FLE x 2 for lighting. Plus, you were have either FLA or KAFAS camera part of driver's assist. FLA visually looks different than KAFAS. The ladder is flush with windshield.

FLA:

View post on imgur.com

KAFAS:

View post on imgur.com
My car has KAFAS.
So if I'm hearing you correctly, you are saying not to try the additional coding as I don't have the shutters and will inevitably blind other drivers. Is that correct?

I do have to say, though, that the coding I did so far has been beneficial. As I pointed out the high beams remain on at lower speeds than before, and there seems to be no question the right side high beam remains on in situations where it would not have done so before (perhaps "toed out", and the left side headlight "toes out" to avoid a vehicle in front of me as well as adjusts to oncoming traffic. Seems like if at least one of the high beams is on, I see the blue high beam indicator, even in the case of oncoming traffic. And I've seen no indication that I'm blinding oncoming traffic, as I can visually see the headlight direction and/or pattern adjusting, and oncoming drivers are not flashing me.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #154
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My car has KAFAS.
So if I'm hearing you correctly, you are saying not to try the additional coding as I don't have the shutters and will inevitably blind other drivers. Is that correct?

I do have to say, though, that the coding I did so far has been beneficial. As I pointed out the high beams remain on at lower speeds than before, and there seems to be no question the right side high beam remains on in situations where it would not have done so before (perhaps "toed out", and the left side headlight "toes out" to avoid a vehicle in front of me as well as adjusts to oncoming traffic. Seems like if at least one of the high beams is on, I see the blue high beam indicator, even in the case of oncoming traffic. And I've seen no indication that I'm blinding oncoming traffic, as I can visually see the headlight direction and/or pattern adjusting, and oncoming drivers are not flashing me.
I am saying that I would not code NGHB until I knew for sure you whether you had microshutters. You already partially coded, so I would undo those things.
Appreciate 0