THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Pagid RS29 Track Pads for your M235i or 228i with sport brakes

02-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Pagid RS29 Track Pads for your M235i or 228i with sport brakes

Pagid RS29 is a recent development from the bases of RS29, with a very similar friction coefficient to RS19 with improvements in initial bite offering quicker response and slightly more temperature stable at the upper levels of the temperature range. Developments in raw material selection and compounding have resulted in improvements also in pedal feel and feedback, helping with modulation particularly on lighter applications.

This material provides very good levels of performance and response at all temperature levels, only slight temperature inputs are required to bring the pad up to its optimum performance level. Another favourite with endurance racers having won many classes at all major endurance events, such as Le-Mans, Daytona, Spa, Nurburgring, etc. Due to the exceptional pad life and very low wear on brake discs it has been possible to run 24 hours with out a change of pads or discs. Able to withstand slightly higher disc temperatures than RS19, this has proved more suitable for applications running very high disc temperatures.

Although designed primarily for endurance racing, because of the consistent levels of performance and user friendliness many competitors use this material successfully for sprint and short distance races also. This has been seen in British GT Cup class, winning the Championship for the last 3 years in races averaging 1-2 hours in duration. RS19 has also found favour in the growing track day market due to the level of control, good cold performance, long life and low disc wear.

While not being the cheapest brake pads on the market, we have proved that due to the longer life and less disc wear in comparison to other competitor’s product, running costs can be reduced in comparison to cheaper, inferior products.

It is clear that the customer should look beyond the initial purchase price and make an accurate comparison with other competitor’s products to find the most cost effective braking solution. When compared to cheaper pads that wear more quickly and reduce disc life, and may also not perform consistently to the same level, the initially more costly product can often work out to be cheaper when calculated over the entire season.

Friction Level

Cold 0.40 PAGID Brake Pads
At 100°C 0.43
At 300°C 0.47
Max at (@ 550°C) 0.49
Constant working temperature: 400 – 700°C
Max temperature for short period only: 750°C

For more information:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post16695198
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I use them for my track days. Happy with them so far.

Surprising though that my motul RBF600 seemed to not work well in this car. It's been my go to fluid in all my cars for years. Maybe need to bleed them more.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post

Surprising though that my motul RBF600 seemed to not work well in this car. It's been my go to fluid in all my cars for years. Maybe need to bleed them more.
Are you boiling the fluid more than your other cars using the same Pagid pad?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:

Are you boiling the fluid more than your other cars using the same Pagid pad?
Never used pagid before. I don't think it's the pad. Braking power from the pad is still there, but pedal gets mushy.

This happened at Big Willow. It's a high speed track so there are certain points where you're doing some serious braking, but lots of cool down between braking zones.

I really don't think the motul is boiling on this track either, but I think it's fluid related. I read somewhere that BMW says to run low viscosity brake fluid in their system. Don't think Motul is. Wonder if it's related.

Maybe the fluid is actually not getting hot enough on this track so viscosity is too high. That would be a first lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Never used pagid before. I don't think it's the pad. Braking power from the pad is still there, but pedal gets mushy.

This happened at Big Willow. It's a high speed track so there are certain points where you're doing some serious braking, but lots of cool down between braking zones.

I really don't think the motul is boiling on this track either, but I think it's fluid related. I read somewhere that BMW says to run low viscosity brake fluid in their system. Don't think Motul is. Wonder if it's related.

Maybe the fluid is actually not getting hot enough on this track so viscosity is too high. That would be a first lol.
Big Willow is not a particularly brake demanding track so I don't believe you boil the fluid. Did you flush the brake system before the track day?

We like SRF and that has been our fluid of choice for years. It attracts moisture at a much lower pace than its competitors. A quick bleed is all you need before each track day.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Big Willow is not a particularly brake demanding track so I don't believe you boil the fluid. Did you flush the brake system before the track day?

We like SRF and that has been our fluid of choice for years. It attracts moisture at a much lower pace than its competitors. A quick bleed is all you need before each track day.
Yeah not a demanding track on brakes. Full flush before the track day.

I will do some bleeding before the next to see if it resolves the issue. Probably will be at auto club.

Worse case I will switch to a different fluid and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah not a demanding track on brakes. Full flush before the track day.

I will do some bleeding before the next to see if it resolves the issue. Probably will be at auto club.

Worse case I will switch to a different fluid and go from there.
That is very interesting that you are getting a mushy pedal from the Motul 600, but good for everyone to know if that is truly the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:14 AM   #8
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I can shed some feedback in the spring when I switch over to the RBF600. I've had good luck with it in my VAG cars, so I'm hoping I'm not wasting my time.. Anthony, what are you running for flex hoses?
      02-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I can shed some feedback in the spring when I switch over to the RBF600. I've had good luck with it in my VAG cars, so I'm hoping I'm not wasting my time.. Anthony, what are you running for flex hoses?
I've never had issues with RBF600 over the last ~10 years. I've always sworn by it.

OEM hoses...and now you have me thinking

My pedal doesn't "fail" just gets a mushy feel and have to apply a little more pressure (~25%??). I'll bleed the brakes before the next track day. If that doesn't solve it I'll shop for some new lines. What are you running?

I've had cars with and without braided hoses....honestly didn't think they made that big of a difference. Each car is different though and maybe it will end up being my solution.

EDIT: I did some reading. Technically Motul is not recommended for BMW because of viscosity in motul being too high. Guess it can interfere with the braking system/computer with the thin veins of the braking system. Though people also say it's fine once it gets up to track temp as it should then thin out....

Problem is no legit brake fluid will have a low viscosity to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

If you're relying on heat to lower the viscosity, keep in mind all of the fluid, from the abs pump to the caliper piston, has to be hot, not just the fluid sitting in the brake caliper. At big Willow on a winter day doing a 15-20 minute open track day run the fluid may not be getting hot enough to thin out and operate optimally.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
There are also a bunch of people think that the SS lines don't do anything.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've never had issues with RBF600 over the last ~10 years. I've always sworn by it.

My pedal doesn't "fail" just gets a mushy feel and have to apply a little more pressure (~25%??). I'll bleed the brakes before the next track day. If that doesn't solve it I'll shop for some new lines. What are you running?

I've had cars with and without braided hoses....honestly didn't think they made that big of a difference. Each car is different though and maybe it will end up being my solution.

EDIT: I did some reading. Technically Motul is not recommended for BMW because of viscosity in motul being too high. Guess it can interfere with the braking system/computer with the thin veins of the braking system. Though people also say it's fine once it gets up to track temp as it should then thin out....

Now, thinking back...before switching exclusively using SRF, I did use everything else including Motul, but never felt any difference in pedal effort or firmness between the them.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #13
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
If you're relying on heat to lower the viscosity, keep in mind all of the fluid, from the abs pump to the caliper piston, has to be hot, not just the fluid sitting in the brake caliper. At big Willow on a winter day doing a 15-20 minute open track day run the fluid may not be getting hot enough to thin out and operate optimally.
Yeah it was a colder day at the track. Thought about that too. It seemed worse in the middle of the session and not bad towards the end. So it not getting up to temp to work with the BMW systems might be the cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #14
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
There are also a bunch of people think that the SS lines don't do anything.
I'm generally in that camp.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm generally in that camp.
The resistance to line swell is definitely there, but most of the endusers may not sensitive enough to feel it. SS lines will be more consistent for sure as it is likely to be affected by temperature changes.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #16
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:

Same here, still on OEM hoses and fluid. Was going to swing for the StopTech lines, since they're only about $60-80 per axle and one less thing to worry about. This along with RBF600 and either Pagid's or PFC for track days is my intention. Had the PFC pads and RBF-600 combo with the TTRS brake setup on my GTI and it was stellar.

The PFC-08 pads I used were the same as the factory supplied 991 GT3, IIRC, and can be used on the street if wanted, no different than driving a GT3 around on "stock" brakes, I suppose lol..

Going to get started on my car this month while I have some down time. Dinan springs/bump stops, M4 LCA's and camber plates (still unsure which route on the plates, and may wait it out until something solid surfaces). FBO parts in the trunk, just wanted to get the suspension sorted before I go from stock power to FBO. Once that happens, the brakes are being addressed right away, and I'm done for this year. Next year, coilovers like yours, or the Ohlins. This car enables my inner mod daemon, wayyy too easily!

Last edited by Dylan86; 02-02-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #17
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
The resistance to line swell is definitely there, but most of the endusers may not sensitive enough to feel it. SS lines will be more consistent for sure as it is likely to be affected by temperature changes.
When I have done the brake lines in my previous cars it's usually done at the sametime as my fluid and pads. Probably why I can't feel the improvement on the lines individually.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #18
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I have done the brake lines in my previous cars it's usually done at the sametime as my fluid and pads. Probably why I can't feel the improvement on the lines individually.
Pads have a lot to do with pedal feel as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #19
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

bimmerworld stainless shielded ftw.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #20
Tamim3
Private
Rep
Drives: GT-R

Used them on my GT-R and loved them.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #21
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamim3 View Post
Used them on my GT-R and loved them.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #22
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

So do you swap them just for the track days and then go back to stock pads?

somewhere i read this " Pagid brakepads are not compatible with previously used rotors, especially if used with a carbon or Kevlar based race pad. "

so was wondering what that meant....
Appreciate 0