THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes KW Clubsport - anyone using them?

11-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
KW Clubsport - anyone using them?

My original plan was to go with some BC DR coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade. I've ran them on numerous daily drivers that see track days and have always been happy with them and the camber plates they come with. However they don't make a 5-bolt camber plate yet.

They told me they would have them out soon with the M2 coilovers. Well after waiting months they released their M2 coilovers without camber plates. They told me it would be a few more months for the camber plates.

So as I was waiting over those months I researched various coilovers and camber plate options and all of them seem to have various draw backs as "piece together" kits.

So I finally said, "F" it and bought a set of KW DA Clubsport coilovers that come with the 5-bolt camber plates. They told me it would take 3-4 weeks to get them to me from Germany

I plan on running a 255 square setup. I hear the front inner clearance on them can be an issue because of the helper spring causing the lower perch to sit right next to tire/wheel. Some people take the helper spring out to fix this and I may have to do the same.

Anyone have any experience with them on the 2 series?

Last edited by Anthony235; 11-30-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
geonutt
Rep

I'm running them - they have worked out pretty well. While not tehcnically a dedicated track car my 2er sees a good percentage of its miles on the track. I have the 2-way adjustable version, after getting them set up the way I like the car feels really well planted and properly balanced for how I drive. They are fairly easy to adjust and I still make minor tweaks depending on the day/track/mood... I forgot all my specs off the top of my head but I think I am running something like 2.5 deg of camber up front, with zero toe, and maybe 2.0 or 1.8 in back... in terms of stiffness I am not far off of KW recommendation and I found it to be a good starting point. For normal driving I soften them up a couple of clicks from softest and that seems to work alright - still a little stiff but it feels like a proper sports car. As you note the biggest issue with the KW's is the helper spring decreases the inside clearance with the tire... I am currently running 245 square and feel this is about as wide as I can go with out drastic modifications. In order to get the 245s to fit my wheels are pretty aggressively stanced with spacers and wheel offset (I forget the numbers but they are aggresive). That said I still do rub (wheel well, I also have the car sitting a little lower, not a lot but a little) when the wheels are at full lock but these are track wheels so its pretty rare that happens, mostly just driving around the paddock. Stock wheels no issues. Ohh' and I did not remove the helper springs... I would take a pic to show you the clearance issues but not sure next time I will have it set up for track. I plan on racing spec miata this upcoming year and most of my upcoming track days will be getting the miata sorted.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geonutt View Post
I'm running them - they have worked out pretty well. While not tehcnically a dedicated track car my 2er sees a good percentage of its miles on the track. I have the 2-way adjustable version, after getting them set up the way I like the car feels really well planted and properly balanced for how I drive. They are fairly easy to adjust and I still make minor tweaks depending on the day/track/mood... I forgot all my specs off the top of my head but I think I am running something like 2.5 deg of camber up front, with zero toe, and maybe 2.0 or 1.8 in back... in terms of stiffness I am not far off of KW recommendation and I found it to be a good starting point. For normal driving I soften them up a couple of clicks from softest and that seems to work alright - still a little stiff but it feels like a proper sports car. As you note the biggest issue with the KW's is the helper spring decreases the inside clearance with the tire... I am currently running 245 square and feel this is about as wide as I can go with out drastic modifications. In order to get the 245s to fit my wheels are pretty aggressively stanced with spacers and wheel offset (I forget the numbers but they are aggresive). That said I still do rub (wheel well, I also have the car sitting a little lower, not a lot but a little) when the wheels are at full lock but these are track wheels so its pretty rare that happens, mostly just driving around the paddock. Stock wheels no issues. Ohh' and I did not remove the helper springs... I would take a pic to show you the clearance issues but not sure next time I will have it set up for track. I plan on racing spec miata this upcoming year and most of my upcoming track days will be getting the miata sorted.
geonutt,

Thanks for the input. I ordered the 2-way as well.

Our alignment specs will probably be fairly similar. I tend to start with 0 toe up front with slight toe in in the back. Camber will probably around -2.5 in the front and -2.0 in the back.

I've never ran a double adjustable setup before so I'm looking forward to setting it up.

I'm running:
Front - 18x8.5 +45 w/10mm space = +35 (might be a 12mm space. Can't remember).

Rear - 18x9.5 +45

Stock tires so 225/245.

My plan is to run the same size rear wheel on the front when I get the coilovers on. Will still require a spacer up front. To prep for the 255 square setup I already rolled my front fender. With the helper spring out it should fit. I'll post about the outcome once I get it sorted.

Good luck with the spec racing! If I was smart I would have owned a spec miata by now.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
My original plan was to go with some BC DR coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade. I've ran them on numerous daily drivers that see track days and have always been happy with them and the camber plates they come with. However they don't make a 5-bolt camber plate yet.

They told me they would have them out soon with the M2 coilovers. Well after waiting months they released their M2 coilovers without camber plates. They told me it would be a few more months for the camber plates.

So as I was waiting over those months I researched various coilovers and camber plate options and all of them seem to have various draw backs as "piece together" kits.

So I finally said, "F" it and bought a set of KW DA Clubsport coilovers that come with the 5-bolt camber plates. They told me it would take 3-4 weeks to get them to me from Germany

I plan on running a 255 square setup. I hear the front inner clearance on them can be an issue because of the helper spring causing the lower perch to sit right next to tire/wheel. Some people take the helper spring out to fix this and I may have to do the same.

Anyone have any experience with them on the 2 series?

Good looking kit in a one complete package.

KW CS's have been rather harsh for street use on the E chassis, but could be different on the F chassis and could be a good dual purpose kit.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

wish i could run clubsport. Damm xdrive...
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

what's different about the xdrive that makes these incompatible ? I have xdrive as well just curious..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #7
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
what's different about the xdrive that makes these incompatible ? I have xdrive as well just curious..
I'm sure Bryan can be specific, but I'm guessing the front control arms/suspension are different to accommodate the front axles.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Just need a shorter body front strut.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Just need a shorter body front strut.
I'm sorry but I still don't get it. A strut is a strut and it doesn't get in the way of the control arms and the drive shaft, does it? Exactly what is so different about xdrive that wouldn't allow the front to fit and how a shorter strut would cure that? Can anyone elaborate, please.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
geonutt
Rep

Miata is in the shop. Had the bimmer at the track today. I'm running apex wheels 18x8.5 et38 with a 12 mm spacer in front. For track tires I have on the hankook rs3's 245/40's on all four. I'm lowered a little bit and rub a little in the wells at full lock - meh...for track wheels I can live with it. As you can maybe see in the crappy pic I got about a pencils worth of space between the tire and the spring perch. Depending on tire I suspect 255 could fit if you dial in the offset and watch how much you lower car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geonutt View Post
Miata is in the shop. Had the bimmer at the track today. I'm running apex wheels 18x8.5 et38 with a 12 mm spacer in front. For track tires I have on the hankook rs3's 245/40's on all four. I'm lowered a little bit and rub a little in the wells at full lock - meh...for track wheels I can live with it. As you can maybe see in the crappy pic I got about a pencils worth of space between the tire and the spring perch. Depending on tire I suspect 255 could fit if you dial in the offset and watch how much you lower car.
Wow thank you for the info! Nice to see the actual clearance on a 2 series. I have a feeling I will need to take the helper springs out with my setup.

Still waiting on the coils to arrive in the US so I can get a tracking #. Should be another few weeks. I will post my findings on here for others, but the clubsport probably isn't too common on the 2 series.

On a side note. Seems the Rs3 255/35/18 is having a supply shortage. Might have to try that new Nexus tire. Rumor is that it's the same compound as the Rs3. The tread pattern is almost identical too. I do know one of the Hankook guys left to Nexus a little bit ago (friend of a friend).

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
They arrived tonight

Will try to install them this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Pics below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      11-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Sweet set of clubsports there. Are you installing them yourself ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #15
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
No. I had the shop install them. I've done a few coilover installs in my time though.

Will do a review and notes post later. Clearance is very tight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #16
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Here are some pics that show my concern and what geonutt posted as well.

Front wheel is 18x8.5 +45. There is also a 12mm spacer in there. Stock PSS 225 tire. There is about 2mm of clearance with this setup. If I didn't have the spacer this would not work. The angle of the pic makes it look like it's touching, but it's not. I could easily go to a 15mm spacer and get more clearance if I was going to stay with this wheel/tire size.

We tried to remove the helper spring to allow us to move the perch up, but the main spring was not long enough to take up the slack even with the perch maxed out.

So now I'm ordering a shorter main spring. This will allow me to raise the perch up while retaining the helper spring.

Or get rid of the helper spring and get a longer main spring.

So my square setup is on hold until I decide on the options.

Also the very top of the rear external reservoir is very close the wheel lip. Meaning the reservoir is kind of sitting in the wheel barrel. If I had 17" wheels I don't it would work. Hopefully this problem is not made worse when I get my alignment (more camber). Sorry I didn't take a pic of this.

Car does feel great! Such an improvement over stock and the HR springs that I used as a stop gap. Won't know for sure until I get the car on the track.
Attached Images

Last edited by Anthony235; 11-23-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #17
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Does adding negative camber help at all ?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

nittos are a wider tire as well, 245's would probably rub.

Looking good, jelly of the clubsport kit!
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #19
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Just ordered a shorter main spring to allow me to keep the helper spring at the top in. Will allow me to move to bottom perch above the tire line.

Also went with a higher spring rate to match the extra grip my wider and gripper RE71R will give me up front. Will be 255 square.

Also ordered new wheels and wheel stud conversion kit. Will update once everything is installed and setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Does adding negative camber help at all ?
Won't help. Strut and wheel move as one when adjusting camber.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #21
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
How about trying an 8-inch wheel so the tire is not stretched?
(that tire looks awfully stretched on that rim)
Because removing the helper spring kind of defeats the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #22
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Quote:
How about trying an 8-inch wheel so the tire is not stretched?
(that tire looks awfully stretched on that rim)
Because removing the helper spring kind of defeats the purpose.
8" wheel will not work for me.

It's stretched because it's the OEM tire. Front setup has always been temporary for me because I've always planned to run a 255 tire up front with a 9.5" wheel. Now that I have coilovers with a camber plate I can move forward with that.

Will have my front wheels and tires up for sale soon.

Helper spring will not be removed. See my other post. Though for other setups you might be able to remove the spring with no ill effects.
Appreciate 0