THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum USB Audio and DVD coding N America

12-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Bluesmobile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Convertible x-drive

USB Audio and DVD coding N America

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but can someone clarify what this means? Does it mean that if I plug a usb thumb drive with audio tracks into the USB port in the car, up to 40,000 audio tracks are stored on a hard drive somewhere in the car? Or, does this just mean track INFO (name of track, artist, album art, etc) is stored?

Also, if my original sticker listed “DVD coding , N. America” does that mean that my car can play DVD’s? I tried putting a DVD in the CD slot of the stereo and it didn’t work....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Since I bought mine used I thought the "DVD Coding, N. America" was a DVD given to the original owner to detail the Coding Method of this car ....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

yes, the car can store thousands of tunes
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Bluesmobile
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paposalsa View Post
Since I bought mine used I thought the "DVD Coding, N. America" was a DVD given to the original owner to detail the Coding Method of this car ....
Nah - DVD Coding N America means that the DVD player is coded to North American legal standards (it won’t play when you’re driving). My question is whether or not the car will play regular video DVDs or does the car need to be equipped with a DVD player or an external DVD player connected to the USB port.

As for storing tracks in the car... if I remove the thumb drive from the USB port, no music tracks appear to be stored. Perhaps this is not what is meant by the statement in the manual or this only works on the audio systems with the nav package and larger 8” display?

Last edited by Bluesmobile; 12-17-2018 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
Mike240i
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Looks like road signage language, like "Keep Right" (of what specifically?). LOL

Anyways, "during transmission" means reading music information being displayed in real time as you play songs and as you flip back and forth along the play list before another song is selected.

"Stored in vehicle" means information capacity available for real time display. In this case, the car is limited to displaying information from 4 connected devices* OR from 40,000 songs or a mix of both (2 devices with 20,000 songs each).

The "storage" is likely to be Random Access Memory which will only hold the information as long as the device remains connected to the USB port.

*Multiple USB devices probably means via multiple USB ports or via Y connector. We would have to test this out sometime.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Bluesmobile
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike240i View Post
Looks like road signage language, like "Keep Right" (of what specifically?). LOL

Anyways, "during transmission" means reading music information being displayed in real time as you play songs and as you flip back and forth along the play list before another song is selected.

"Stored in vehicle" means information capacity available for real time display. In this case, the car is limited to displaying information from 4 connected devices* OR from 40,000 songs or a mix of both (2 devices with 20,000 songs each).

The "storage" is likely to be Random Access Memory which will only hold the information as long as the device remains connected to the USB port.

*Multiple USB devices probably means via multiple USB ports or via Y connector. We would have to test this out sometime.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. After doing further research, I figured it out. Vehicles equipped with navigation and the larger 8” screen have a different version of Idrive which does indeed include a hard drive on which you can store music from a USB thumb drive or even a CD. I unfortunately don’t have a nav equipped vehicle. You’d think BMW could have just added the line “for navigation equipped vehicles...” in the manual.

But I think I’ve found a workaround which is just buy a thumb drive with a ridiculous amount of storage capacity. Last I checked, you can now buy them with like 256GB. More than enough to hold most of my music and I’ll just leave it plugged in all the time.
Appreciate 1