THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Buying New Wheels - Do I need new TPMS sensors?

11-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Buying New Wheels - Do I need new TPMS sensors?

Thinking about buying new wheels (e.g., 19" VMR V803s) while sales are running and the online dealers all have pull down menus to select TPMS sensors. I already have sensors on my OEM wheels (18" M436s) so I assume I can have those moved to the new wheels when I have tires mounted on the new wheels (when the tread on my existing tires warrants).

Is my assumption correct? Any reason to buy new sensors if the existing ones are working fine?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Thinking about buying new wheels (e.g., 19" VMR V803s) while sales are running and the online dealers all have pull down menus to select TPMS sensors. I already have sensors on my OEM wheels (18" M436s) so I assume I can have those moved to the new wheels when I have tires mounted on the new wheels (when the tread on my existing tires warrants).

Is my assumption correct? Any reason to buy new sensors if the existing ones are working fine?

Thanks.
Your logic is correct, unless you'd want to have two sets you can swap between and still have sensors on both sets.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

You can swap yours instead of buying new ones. However, if you do that, get TPMS service kits (new o-rings, etc.) and use them to install the old TPMS in the new wheels.
Tire Rack sells the kits.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Couple of considerations.

If you plan to trade the car sometime, dealer will prefer the stock wheel rather than aftermarket. There will probably be a penalty on trade allowance for aftermarkets compared to stock.

You'll be better off selling the aftermarkets rather than the OEM when you trade.

Having an extra set w/ TPMS makes for an easy transition when the time comes.

Having the whole package done at the same time will allow for tire mounting and spin balancing when wheels sets are delivered.

Not sure where you are buying, I have this done by Tire Rack when I buy. Tire rack doesn't carry VMR, but maybe the dealer that does allows for similar package deal.

I have the stock set of wheels and tires w/ TPMS for my Mini in garage for when I trade it in. I will be putting the aftermarket Enkei's and tires/TPMS on new Mini when time comes.

Will be doing the same with BMW OEM's.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. And USA-RET, very good points about keeping the OEM wheels. I typically sell my cars privately rather than trading in, but your logic still applies to a large degree for the same reasons.
Appreciate 0