THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MPE, AWE or Dinan Exhausts

11-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
putthatthinginsport
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

MPE, AWE or Dinan Exhausts

Since it's Black Friday, I figured I'd spend some money. Im torn between these three options, I'd love to hear from anyone who has any of these or other exhaust systems installed. All prices below are in CAD and include install.

M Performance Exhaust - (Chrome Tips) = $1726.64

AWE EXHAUST SUITE = $1814.14

Dinan Free Flow Stainless Exhaust with Black Tips = $2203.50

Im looking for a little more sound and a little more power doesn't hurt.

I also considered keeping the stock exhaust and installing the Dinan Mid-Pipe.

What would you guys do?
2003 BMW M3 (Steel Gray Metallic w/ Cinnamon Nappa)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Dinan mid-pipe with stock muffler. Great sound, well-mannered. Best bang for the buck.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

I got awe n i m very happy with it other than the cold start. i compared it to my frd's 440i m performance n knew i made the right choice. Higher volume more burble
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

buy a tune and a dp if you havent already, exhaust does nothing for power and its expensive. Remove the restriction with a DP, use the flash tune to unleash the power and remove cel.

If you have done this already, by all means carry on.

I bought a new MAF sensor, Fabspeed midpipe/muffler setup to replace the ARK setup, GV BOV, new rotors and pads...
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I have the m perf exhaust but it was too quiet especially inside the cabin for my tastes. so I added a dinan midpipe and now it sounds amazing!
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I have the m perf exhaust but it was too quiet especially inside the cabin for my tastes. so I added a dinan midpipe and now it sounds amazing!

I have this as well and love it. Not many cracks or burbles in comfort if you’re not in the mood but tons of it in sport. Not obnoxiously loud but a good amount louder than stock (although cold starts are very loud for 10 seconds).
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM240 View Post
Quote:

I have this as well and love it. Not many cracks or burbles in comfort if you’re not in the mood but tons of it in sport. Not obnoxiously loud but a good amount louder than stock (although cold starts are very loud for 10 seconds).
yeah it does crack and burble like crazy in sport mode and I love it! also I love how loud it is on startup in the morning, although I'm sure my neighbors are less than thrilled! lol
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have this as well and love it. Not many cracks or burbles in comfort if you're not in the mood but tons of it in sport. Not obnoxiously loud but a good amount louder than stock (although cold starts are very loud for 10 seconds).
yeah it does crack and burble like crazy in sport mode and I love it! also I love how loud it is on startup in the morning, although I'm sure my neighbors are less than thrilled! lol
Do you guys mind sharing some videos? I'm now running resonator delete (midpipe without resonators) and wondering about getting MOerf muffler
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Trying to make the same call myself for my upcoming 240.

For all the folks who say the MPE is too quiet/minimal difference, are you still running ASD or do you have it coded out?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalM240i View Post
Do you guys mind sharing some videos? I'm now running resonator delete (midpipe without resonators) and wondering about getting MOerf muffler
Unfortunately I dont have a vid but I know a user on here named Scadam
Has some vids: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1488544

FYI his most recent vids include a catted akro DP which
makes it even louder. I did tons of research before settling on the bmw MPE and dinan midpipe and it was the best match for me by far and I had basically unlimited budget for what it’s worth
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalM240i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have this as well and love it. Not many cracks or burbles in comfort if you're not in the mood but tons of it in sport. Not obnoxiously loud but a good amount louder than stock (although cold starts are very loud for 10 seconds).
I don't have a video yet but am planning to do one, just haven't gotten a chance to do it yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeedunt View Post
Trying to make the same call myself for my upcoming 240.

For all the folks who say the MPE is too quiet/minimal difference, are you still running ASD or do you have it coded out?
to be honest, I don't feel that the m240i has active sound or if it does it's so quiet I can barely hear it, especially compared to my m235i. this is the main reason I decided to add the dinan midpipe to the m perf exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #13
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

Quote:
to be honest, I don't feel that the m240i has active sound or if it does it's so quiet I can barely hear it, especially compared to my m235i. this is the main reason I decided to add the dinan midpipe to the m perf exhaust!
What year is your 240? Mine is a 2017 and the active sound sounds just like it does in my friends 235.

I was trying to decide between AWE and dinan, and after watching a ton of youTube videos I determined the AWE had more of a high pitch exhaust note while dinan had a lower, deeper sound. I am not a fan of high pitched exhaust notes, so I went with dinan and It is amazing. It pops and crackles constantly and sounds incredible under load. The cold starts are very loud like others have stated but if you slightly press the gas pedal during the cold start it will quite it down.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #14
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandridine View Post
Quote:
What year is your 240? Mine is a 2017 and the active sound sounds just like it does in my friends 235.

I was trying to decide between AWE and dinan, and after watching a ton of youTube videos I determined the AWE had more of a high pitch exhaust note while dinan had a lower, deeper sound. I am not a fan of high pitched exhaust notes, so I went with dinan and It is amazing. It pops and crackles constantly and sounds incredible under load. The cold starts are very loud like others have stated but if you slightly press the gas pedal during the cold start it will quite it down.
my m240i is a 2019 so I'm thinking they changed something in the newer model year.

glad you like the dinan exhaust. does the midpipe come as part of that exhaust or is that a separate part?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #15
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240I

Quote:
my m240i is a 2019 so I'm thinking they changed something in the newer model year.

glad you like the dinan exhaust. does the midpipe come as part of that exhaust or is that a separate part?
Seperate, both pieces would run you just under 1900 plus install
2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 1