THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Increasing front camber without installing camber plates or LCAs

08-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Bareiss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i & 2015 428i G.C.

Increasing front camber without installing camber plates or LCAs

It seems like this has been beaten to death in these forums, but I'm starting a new thread because I couldn't find answers to my specific questions. (I'm sorry if I missed them in another thread.)

I autocross my m235i in the F Street class, which doesn't allow the installation of camber plates or changing out the LCAs. Last weekend, a guy at an autocross (AAX at Crow's Landing CA) said that I could drive out the pins on top of the front strut towers and gain another 1/2 degree of camber adjustment. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm also considering installing eccentric camber bolts (aka crash bolts). Does anyone have any experience with this?

If you've done either or both of these, how much camber did you gain?

Also, if you're an autocross rules guru, there seems to be disagreement about whether these are legal modifications or not; people I trust equally came down on different sides of the question. (The one I want to believe said that there was a rule change this year saying that if a part [the camber bolt] is listed in the official BMW parts catalog, it's now SCCA legal for my car. Another long-time autocrosser said that removing the strut tower pins is also legal.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Bareiss; 08-22-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
lufsig
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

What I heard is removing the alignment pins should be legal for SCCA street class, camber plates will kick our car into another class.

There's also a thread about getting little more negative camber by changing the steering knuckle, which is a "factory approved" repair method which will also keep the car in street class: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1344701

btw: I was also in Crows Landing last weekend! It's always nice to see more 2 series on autocross
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufsig View Post
What I heard is removing the alignment pins should be legal for SCCA street class, camber plates will kick our car into another class.

There's also a thread about getting little more negative camber by changing the steering knuckle, which is a "factory approved" repair method which will also keep the car in street class: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1344701

btw: I was also in Crows Landing last weekend! It's always nice to see more 2 series on autocross
Where are the alignment pins in the 2 series ?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Where are the alignment pins in the 2 series ?
I would also like to know more about this. After all, if it's true that I can get 1/2 degree of negative camber without any major modifications, I'll take it.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Bareiss
United_States
Rep

The alignment pins are on the tops of the strut towers. You can see them clearly when you open the hood and look at the locations where the towers are bolted.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Bareiss
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufsig View Post

Thanks lufsig. Let's talk at the next event at Crow's (unless you'll be coming to the Sacramento Chapter event at Thunderhill).

Last edited by Bareiss; 08-24-2018 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Misspelled the other user's screen name.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

There aren’t alignment pins on the F22 like on prior Exx 1 and 3 series. There are cast dimples for location and threaded holes in the top plate. I don’t think there are any slots above the holes, either, but I haven’t removed the bolts to have a look (another change from Exx models that used studs and nuts). I think power tools and cutting would be needed, as opposed to just driving out or unscrewing the location pins that was possible on older models: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0950
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 07:20 PM   #8
Primez
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareiss View Post
Last weekend, a guy at an autocross (AAX at Crow's Landing CA) said that I could drive out the pins on top of the front strut towers and gain another 1/2 degree of camber adjustment. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I know I’m reviving an old thread here but am currently looking for easy ways to adjust camber on my 2015 M235xi. I’m also a bit dense and the info in this thread wasn’t immediately obvious without my own investigation.

There are two alignment pins each strut tower but these are cast into the strut (the “dimples” mentioned in the previous post) so these cannot be removed. Additionally, F22 strut towers do not have any eccentricity to the bolt holes. Perfectly round. So even if you tried to knock out the pins, you wouldn’t get anywhere and wouldn’t be able to make any adjustments.

In short; this trick doesn’t work for F22s.
Appreciate 0