THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help, Is this possible?

10-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

Help, Is this possible?

So took car into dealer for a/c issues. They said ac condenser is damaged from fmic install (vrsf 5") and leaking. Is that even possible?

I know intercooler sits below fan/radiator/condensor with condenser being the furthest away towards the front of the vehicle. I installed fmic myself it was a smooth process and dont see how I could of damaged. Its not even the larger 7" so its not like i ever had to manhandle the fmic into place.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by este View Post
So took car into dealer for a/c issues. They said ac condenser is damaged from fmic install (vrsf 5") and leaking. Is that even possible?

I know intercooler sits below fan/radiator/condensor with condenser being the furthest away towards the front of the vehicle. I installed fmic myself it was a smooth process and dont see how I could of damaged. Its not even the larger 7" so its not like i ever had to manhandle the fmic into place.

Any thoughts appreciated.
What did you see when you asked them to show you the witness marks of impact of one part against the other?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
este
N54 to N55
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
What did you see when you asked them to show you the witness marks of impact of one part against the other?
Haven't seen car yet going to pick up this afternoon. Will definitely ask if they could show me. Might try a refrigerant top off at a shop and see how long that helps for, obviously that wouldn't be a permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Sadly, if you were looking for warranty repair of the AC issue, it's quite possible the dealer will assume or claim mods caused the issue you want dealt with under warranty. That's why many folks wait until factory warranty is exhausted before modding their car, but I am sure you already knew that. Hopefully it works out for you.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
este
N54 to N55
Rep

So basically they said Intercooler was rubbing against condensor which caused a small leak. They refilled the refrigerant and I had to pay $250 for the labor of diagnosing...

Showed up right before closing so wasn't able to get any pictures but I'm going to throw it on a lift soon to have a look myself. anyone know if any of these aftermarket fmic maybe put added weight or pressure to condensor/radiator area?

Whenever this refill of freon runs out I'll actually deal with the issue lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
KjPerry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

Sorry to hear.

Please post photos when you have a chance. I'll be doing a FMIC install my self and will be consciousness of trying to avoid this.
Appreciate 0