THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning My first Stage 1, leaning toward BM3, questions of course.

10-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

My first Stage 1, leaning toward BM3, questions of course.

Vehicle is 2020 M240i xdrive.

Planning Stage 1 for daily driving. No track, no drag racing. Simply looking for a little more fun in an already-amazing DD.

Non-ethanol and regular 91 octane widely available, 93 is pain to find.

Plan to keep MPE and don't want to go down the rabbit hole of CAI, mid pipes or catless this and that etc. I like the stock exhaust, but wouldn't mind a little more bravado on full throttle or letoff some of the time, but if I had to choose, the stock sound for highway or around-town is preferred.

Hopefully this doesn't open up a can of worms, but after reading everything on this forum and Google, I'm leaning toward BM3 from https://x-ph.com/bootmod3-flash-tune/ because the $20 cable is included, and the customer service seems great.

Question: On checkout, what is the Optional BM3 device? Do I not need that box checked if this applies to me: "If you're looking to simply load a tune on the car without much datalogging and monitoring while reducing cost then using your laptop instead of our device may be the ticket for you."

I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy. Do I simply use my laptop with the 1 OTS map they include?

Question: Is there usually a Black Friday or holiday pricing with these vendors (Dinan, BM3, others)? The B58 aftermarket mod support is incredibly vast and the price doesn't gouge me like the Audi options did, but saving $$ is always nice (cuz new tires always).

Question: For a S1 91, do I need a transmission retune? Reading the MG Flasher site (thanks, marcthedark) it seems the auto needs a reflash for all tunes. Apologies if I'm reading that incorrectly. The BM3 doesn't mention a trans reflash for S1.

Thanks in advance. Love the car, enjoying the support from this forum.

Last edited by YamaLink; 10-06-2019 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Maybe look into MG Flasher as while you still need the cable it is cheap and you might have it already. And they have pops and bangs on the fly aka you can activate them when you want them otherwise use stock.
The BM Device is a logging unit. If you just do Stage 1 set and forget I wouldn't worry about it. If you need to log just use the device you flashed with.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Vehicle is 2020 M240i xdrive.

Planning Stage 1 for daily driving. No track, no drag racing. Simply looking for a little more fun in an already-amazing DD.

Non-ethanol and regular 91 octane widely available, 93 is pain to find.

Plan to keep MPE and don't want to go down the rabbit hole of CAI, mid pipes or catless this and that etc. I like the stock exhaust, but wouldn't mind a little more bravado on full throttle or letoff some of the time, but if I had to choose, the stock sound for highway or around-town is preferred.

Hopefully this doesn't open up a can of worms, but after reading everything on this forum and Google, I'm leaning toward BM3 from https://x-ph.com/bootmod3-flash-tune/ because the $20 cable is included, and the customer service seems great.

Question: On checkout, what is the Optional BM3 device? Do I not need that box checked if this applies to me: "If you're looking to simply load a tune on the car without much datalogging and monitoring while reducing cost then using your laptop instead of our device may be the ticket for you."

I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy. Do I simply use my laptop with the 1 OTS map they include?

Question: Is there usually a Black Friday or holiday pricing with these vendors (Dinan, BM3, others)? The B58 aftermarket mod support is incredibly vast and the price doesn't gouge me like the Audi options did, but saving $$ is always nice (cuz new tires always).

Question: For a S1 91, do I need a transmission retune? Reading the MG Flasher site (thanks, marcthedark) it seems the auto needs a reflash for all tunes. Apologies if I'm reading that incorrectly. The BM3 doesn't mention a trans reflash for S1.

Thanks in advance. Love the car, enjoying the support from this forum.
Thank you for giving us a chance to be a part of your build

Im more than happy to answer all your questions, just call me at 725 221 5280 .

the wifi device is for users that are looking to use their phones instead of their laptops with Bm3. You can still get all the features without it, you just need to connect your laptop.

Yes all you have to do is select stage 1 and you are set.

We always take care of forum members, no need to wait for Black Friday

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00