THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Mixing Front/Rear Tire Brands

09-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #1
staticcornflake
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Mixing Front/Rear Tire Brands

Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never had run flats before...I picked up a used 228i and while checking tread depth I didn't think to check manufacturers- my 18" wheels have Bridgestones on the rears and Pirelli on the fronts (I want to say 245 rear and 225 front). I'm RWD. Is this something I should worry about? Don't have the exact models handy but can grab in a bit. Traction has been fine in the week I've had it, feel more road than I'm used to but I've been told that's just RFT's in general.

Car has 19k on it so I'm assuming 2 of them must be new-ish.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Don't need to worry about mixing tire manufacturers. As long as they are the right tires for the season and correct sizes, you will be fine. Don't run summer only tires in the middle of a snow storm, don't run 225/40 front with 245/30 in the rear (factory is 225/40/18 front 245/35/18 rear if I'm not mistaken).
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Mixed sets are not ideal as for aquaplaning, dry grip, road holding there now could be differences between the front and rear set.
But is they are in same category high performance all season / ultra high performance summer / ..... the differences should be relatively small. Just make sure you don't have a touring on one axle and ultra high performance on the other as that might result in very exiting handling in emergency situations.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
staticcornflake
Private
Rep

I double-checked today and they are:

Front: Pirelli Pzero
Rear: Bridgestone Potenza S001
Both 88Y
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

At least now you know what happened to the car before you - front wheel damage

This particular combo shouldn't be a problem as long as you go in straight lines and don't push it. Pirellis are wider than the same-sized Bridgestones. Could be a problem in emergency or close to the limit, as in sharp turns, when tires cold, etc., the rear is more likely to let go earlier and more abruptly, snap overstreer, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
staticcornflake
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
At least now you know what happened to the car before you - front wheel damage

This particular combo shouldn't be a problem as long as you go in straight lines and don't push it. Pirellis are wider than the same-sized Bridgestones. Could be a problem in emergency or close to the limit, as in sharp turns, when tires cold, etc., the rear is more likely to let go earlier and more abruptly, snap overstreer, etc.
Bummer! The Carfax showed "front left damage, no accident" but I had chalked that up to some chip repair since the panel paint all matches.

I like straight lines but also want to have some fun with the car on canyons and such - should I match the tires all up? I'm sure it would be futile, but worth going back to the BMW dealer and calling shenanigans on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticcornflake View Post
Bummer! The Carfax showed "front left damage, no accident" but I had chalked that up to some chip repair since the panel paint all matches.

I like straight lines but also want to have some fun with the car on canyons and such - should I match the tires all up? I'm sure it would be futile, but worth going back to the BMW dealer and calling shenanigans on this?
I, of course, have no idea exactly what happened to that car but with the front tires changed leads me to think that something did, and I am not saying that it was necessarily something major, plus the record of the "front left damage"... As far as I know that car doesn't come with P Zeros from the factory.

There are people who know this stuff and can tell from inspecting the vehicle if and just how bad the actual damage was, body work, damaged/replaced shocks, alignment, etc... no one can't exactly replicate the factory paint, welding, etc. If there was some body work performed on the vehicle they'd be able to tell. So if in doubt you could probably find some professional to look at it.

The dealership... maybe they could at least have an uncomfortable moment when confronted with this.

Matching the tires - I'd do it. I actually like non-runflat P Zeros and I'd use them 245/35/18 in the rear (oem size), and if no signs of a more serious damage were detected I'd just be happy with it.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
staticcornflake
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
The dealership... maybe they could at least have an uncomfortable moment when confronted with this.

Matching the tires - I'd do it. I actually like non-runflat P Zeros and I'd use them 245/35/18 in the rear (oem size), and if no signs of a more serious damage were detected I'd just be happy with it.
Thanks - I left a VM with the sales person at the dealer, I'm sure they aren't going to buy me two new RFT's but worth a shot! If not I'll go on a road trip and burn these up and buy a new set
Appreciate 0