THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Adviced needed !!

09-21-2019, 01:24 AM   #1
madnechan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 xi

Adviced needed !!

So long story short, someone backed into my car in a parking lot (i am guessing) and they ran away after. My car was parked and i was in the mall while this happened. What should i do with this damage? Complete replacement or it is possible to fix ?! HELP
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Not to answer your question as I believe its subjective to your tolerance for pain, ie, fix, or replace $... So really, it's what "you" want to do. Seeing the creases in the rubber near the kidney grill, I would probably go through insurance and get a replacement. But my insurance has a very low deductible, making it a no-brainer.

But this is why I have dash cams in my cars with motion sensitivity
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
From the photo, it doesn't look that bad. I bet a repaint would hide most of the scratches and indents.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

is that an imprint of the license plate number transferred onto your bumper ?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnechan View Post
So long story short, someone backed into my car in a parking lot (i am guessing) and they ran away after. My car was parked and i was in the mall while this happened. What should i do with this damage? Complete replacement or it is possible to fix ?! HELP
The scuff marks between the tow hook plate and the license plate are an easy fix for any half-decent Auto Body shop to repair and paint that area to make it imperceptible. I had worse on the rear fender on my former 1-series and total bill was $190 CAD at Notions Auto Body in Pickering. The painted portion blended with the unpainted part of the bumper perfectly and no one could ever tell it had prior damage or had a portion repainted..
The hole to the upper left of the tow hook plate is a different kettle of fish. Maybe a pop in plug cover in body colour (like the park distance sensors) would be a cheap fix?
      09-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnechan View Post
You could ask about how clean a repair could be done. I suspect it will cost at least $300. That part can be had for about $500. With painting and labor, probably well under $1,000. My experience is that the plastic material is actually harder to repair cosmetically than metal which often responds well to dentless repair techniques because the metal "memory" is better. At least that's what the guy told me when I was trying to decide what to do with a similar problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
Rolf14
Rep
Drives: 14' 228i MSport

In your photograph I can see a deformity on top of the scuff marks. Had a similar incident happen to me. Inspect the whole bumper: in my case, the hit caused the top of the bumper to bend and crack the paint between the kidney grills. I ended up filing an insurance claim and the whole bumper was replaced, along with the foam inside.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

If shock absorbing material behind the cover has been deformed, it may not work properly next time, causing more damage. It can even lead to a future insurance claim being denied. Definitely check for hidden damage as said above.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Not to answer your question as I believe its subjective to your tolerance for pain, ie, fix, or replace $... So really, it's what "you" want to do. Seeing the creases in the rubber near the kidney grill, I would probably go through insurance and get a replacement. But my insurance has a very low deductible, making it a no-brainer.

But this is why I have dash cams in my cars with motion sensitivity
What dash cam do you use? I was looking into purchasing one soon.