THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics HK Audio, usb, hard drive/media server, iDrive controls?

09-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
HK Audio, usb, hard drive/media server, iDrive controls?

I've been slowly trying to learn the controls and capabilities of the HK audio system in my 2016 M235i but it's been frustrating. There's nothing in the physical owner's manual and using the manual through iDrive seems silly wasting battery or gas to browse.

I bought it used recently and discovered a bunch of audiobooks/podcasts, music stored on the local storage (hard drive, ssd?). I've been unable to figure out how to delete media. How do you delete audio files?

I've got a few other questions about the combination of HK audio, the hard drive/media server and iDrive.

When ripping a CD to the local drive, is there any service or database (like GraceNote) that is supposed to read cd-text to add info such as Artist, Album, Track names? (I ripped a CD and none of this was imported and if I was to rip additional CDs I'd never be able to know what is what.) Perhaps it's not recommended to do local ripping but to use something else like EAC on a computer and store to a usb drive?

What is the storage size of the local hard drive/media server?
What audio formats can the media server read? (.ogg, .flac?, .aac, ect?)
Will the system play high res audio 24bit 192khz, does it downsample or do I need to downsample tracks myself on a computer in order to play?

Is there a max size USB drive that can be used? Or can I connect 1TB+ sized drives? Has anyone tried USB SSD drives?

Can you download audio files that are on the hard drive to USB?

Also I saw a youtube video with someone adjusting an EQ for their HK system in a 435i. I haven't been able to locate the EQ option under Media in iDrive. Is it correct that there's no EQ and we only have basic tone bass/treble settings?

After reading a bunch of audio threads here, I can't believe BMW got away with charging so much for this HK audio "upgrade". Probably going to have to follow some of the advice in the Dr Strangelove post about speaker upgrades, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by grocerylist; 09-18-2019 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Crickets...
No one has tips or any of these answers? 😢
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:52 AM   #3
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
I've been slowly trying to learn the controls and capabilities of the HK audio system in my 2016 M235i but it's been frustrating. There's nothing in the physical owner's manual and using the manual through iDrive seems silly wasting battery or gas to browse.

I bought it used recently and discovered a bunch of audiobooks/podcasts, music stored on the local storage (hard drive, ssd?). I've been unable to figure out how to delete media. How do you delete audio files?

I've got a few other questions about the combination of HK audio, the hard drive/media server and iDrive.

When ripping a CD to the local drive, is there any service or database (like GraceNote) that is supposed to read cd-text to add info such as Artist, Album, Track names? (I ripped a CD and none of this was imported and if I was to rip additional CDs I'd never be able to know what is what.) Perhaps it's not recommended to do local ripping but to use something else like EAC on a computer and store to a usb drive?

What is the storage size of the local hard drive/media server?
What audio formats can the media server read? (.ogg, .flac?, .aac, ect?)
Will the system play high res audio 24bit 192khz, does it downsample or do I need to downsample tracks myself on a computer in order to play?

Is there a max size USB drive that can be used? Or can I connect 1TB+ sized drives? Has anyone tried USB SSD drives?

Can you download audio files that are on the hard drive to USB?

Also I saw a youtube video with someone adjusting an EQ for their HK system in a 435i. I haven't been able to locate the EQ option under Media in iDrive. Is it correct that there's no EQ and we only have basic tone bass/treble settings?

After reading a bunch of audio threads here, I can't believe BMW got away with charging so much for this HK audio "upgrade". Probably going to have to follow some of the advice in the Dr Strangelove post about speaker upgrades, etc.

Thanks!
Internal drive for NBT2 is 200gb, Maximum size of the USB plugged in is limited to the size of a usb FLASH drive only. A portable hard drive will not work. I have tried a USB3 500gb portable SSD and that does work in my M2

The HK system in the 3/4 series is different, theirs is digital based whereas our are analog. Full EQ is not available for the 1/2 series

I really don't like the HK in my M2, im currently trying to fit the Bang and Olufsen Top end premium audio that came out of a late model M6. I've got all the parts just need to sort out one aspect of the wiring
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
So no one knows how to delete uploaded media files?
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      09-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Try this, took 5 seconds on google to find

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1495018
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Thanks, now I feel retarded. I also wasn't sure how to delete previous navigation addresses or text messages. I'd never used the option button before but it seems it's key for those tasks
Appreciate 0