THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics 8 Channel DSP, Run Fronts Active or Passive?

08-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
MattyKHZ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d MSport

8 Channel DSP, Run Fronts Active or Passive?

As most DSP’s seem to be 8 channel, thinking Match Up7, PDP-E800DSP or MS8, just wondering if it is better to run front Mid and Tweeter Active or Passive?

I guess Passive allows use of Centre Speaker and Active would not if using 6 channels for each of the front speakers and 2 rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

So here's the deal:

when you have your tweets and mids (the ones in the door not the mids under the seat) they will have distinct capabilities about how well they play the upper and lower frequencies. The tweets can only play so low, the mids can only play so high, and when they overlap it changes how that sound is perceived.

The crossovers provided by the manufacturer of a component set (either separates or coaxials) are their 'best guess' in terms of how the tweeter starts to lose power and the mid takes over as frequencies go down (and vice versa as frequencies go up.)
There is a point where the frequencies are played by both speakers and 'cross' over each other (hence the name) and the crossover filters out low frequencies from the tweet and higher frequencies from the mid allowing for a smooth transition as the upper frequencies transition to the lower and the tweeter 'hands off' playing to the mid.

The speakers capabilities are universal, and those crossovers as provided by the manufacturer are not adjustable. When you put them in a car, the interior of the car changes how those frequencies 'gain' power based off reflections etc. inside as well as your proximity to the speakers and the position of your head. The crossover can either help or hurt as audio is subjective. No way to know until you try.
(this is why some person will say speaker X has muddy midbass and the other says they are awesome. The answer is they are both: it depends on the way they are installed, where they are installed, and the listeners ears).

If you run active, you eliminate the guessing altogether and specifically adjust how the speakers will play in your vehicle to your liking. The crossover is 'infinite' and you can tweak how the frequencies roll off. This can improve the sound by enhancing the parts you like and mitigating the parts you don't.
Understand this last part is black magic. Some people don't have the time or patience to do this, or don't want to pay an audio shop to do it for them. It of course must be done after the speakers are broken in which means quite a bit after the initial install, so there's a delayed satisfaction and many people aren't patient, they just want to put passive crossovers and be done.

So sounds like active is the way to go right? You've already spent the money on speakers why not have them play as best as they can?
Here's the catch: so for example you have 4 channels in your amp, each channel goes to each corner of the car for the group of speakers mounted there.
That works with passive as the crossover passively sits on that single amp channel filtering and sending the filtered audio to each tweet/mid.
With active, you need a dedicated amp channel per each tweet or mid or sub.

That means if you have 4 channels in your amp, you can only run the tweet and mid in your front sound stage. No rears, no sub. They need their own amps.

Of course you have 8 channels. Which is awesome. You can then run to a tweet and mid in both front and back and leave a pair for the subs - or bridge the last two 'spare' channels for mono and leave for the "subs" under the seat so they get more power.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
MattyKHZ
United Kingdom
Rep

OK have a MS8 so hoping that may be good enough to start and takes all the black magic out of the equation by letting it run its own calibration.

Will be using Morel Hybrid 4 in front so they would be active, using 4 channels.

Rear I have some Scanspeak mods so will use this and not worry about tweeter as only for rear fill. Further 2 channels used.

Center will use Morel Cwr254 with 1 channel.

Under seat now has only 1 channel for 2 speakers. I am assuming this is ok for what is a bass speaker x 2. Will be using Audio Development W800neo there so do I feed from last channel of MS8 to a separate amp as I guess they will be the speakers most in need of a separate amp?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

you think you will need that center? it frees up a channel if you don't.
you can run the subs as mono on 1 channel if you have the power to do so.
The only annoying thing about running active is trying to fish another speaker lead into the door. Inside the car is relatively easy, but getting through the little grommet in the door and the jamb is a pain.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
MattyKHZ
United Kingdom
Rep

So. Guess I need technic pnp harness

https://technicpnp.com/product/7ch-h...hk674-harness/

I guess this just plugs in boot where amp is and then use harness to feed MS8.

Then oem speaker cable adapters and speaker rings to replace speaker in each location.

Would 2x 4 ch class d amps suffice, something like alpine pdx range?

I guess there is always using ms8 amps for the rear fill speakers.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

the harness will break out the cables for you so you can connect to any amp.
Up to you how many channels you want to run.

most people grab a 6 channel and don't run active (2,2,2 mains, rears, subs). A few run 8 channel and go active (2, 2, 2, 2, tweets, mains, rears, subs).

Or run 6 and run the subs off a separate amp.

You 'can' run multiple amps, but then it gets complicated in terms of install/power.

But you are correct on speakers.

Seth
Appreciate 0