THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB brake trouble after track day

06-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
vancitymike
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

brake trouble after track day

So when I was checking my tire pressures after my first track run, I was down near the tire when I heard a hissing sound - it sounded like the brake fluid was boiling out of my caliper. The boiling stopped soon after, my brake fluid level wasn't going down, and the brakes seemed to be fine for the rest of the track day, nor did the sound come back. Later I took the wheel off and noticed what looked like brake fluid stains (very hard to get out) and I've now noticed, even though I've bled the brakes, the brake under suspicion doesn't seem to produce nearly as much brake dust as the other side.... for starters I'm going to clean the pad and caliper with proper cleaner - any other suggestions? Anyone had their brakes boil? I've heard of it but don't actually know what it entails... thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

My first thought is a loose bleeder screw on the caliper. But if you have ruled that out, maybe it's a piston seal that is failing.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
vancitymike
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthor703 View Post
My first thought is a loose bleeder screw on the caliper. But if you have ruled that out, maybe it's a piston seal that is failing.
I hope it was just a loose bleeder screw - to be double sure, I re-bled that brake and cleaned up the area with some brake parts cleaner, I think it seems better - but if I notice any imbalance or if it's still not creating as much brake dust as the other side, It could be a trip to see the professionals....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Did you have stock fluid, or a hi-temp one? If you boiled track fluid, that would likely be hot enough to risk damaging seals, perhaps even distorting the factory rubber brake lines. Either way it needs a full flush, not just a bleeding.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Try Motul RBF600 brake fluid.
Appreciate 0