THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack TPMS Problem with New Wheels

07-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
E3Ghost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

TPMS Problem with New Wheels

I have a 2015 M235i. I installed four wheels and tires from TireRack, with TPMS installed. I drove around for half an hour, but the monitor continually shows just "1%" on the TPMS reset status. I've restarted the reset process a few times and it never progresses past 1%.

Anyone have any ideas? I hope I'm just doing something stupid and/or overlooking the obvious.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3Ghost View Post
I have a 2015 M235i. I installed four wheels and tires from TireRack, with TPMS installed. I drove around for half an hour, but the monitor continually shows just "1%" on the TPMS reset status. I've restarted the reset process a few times and it never progresses past 1%.

Anyone have any ideas? I hope I'm just doing something stupid and/or overlooking the obvious.
Hmm have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes? Maybe give that a shot, it sounds like it needs a reboot. I've never had issues with TPMS and I've changed quite a few sets of tires over the last 7 years in my last 2 BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

maybe they put the wrong sensors
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

433mhz

Look at your receipt and see if you have 433 MHz sensors.
If you have the correct sensors but just one of the sensors is bad none of the sensors will register and you will get a TPMS Malfunction light.

You can go down to your local tire store and have them verify that your sensors are transmitting - for free.

My local Discount Tire is great and recommend them. Not to get off topic but Discount Tire even beat my total out the door Costco price.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
E3Ghost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

After resetting the tpms from a cold start, the resetting process moved past 1%: it reached 49%, stalled for awhile, and then displayed a "TPMS failure" warning/error. After another rest, it happened again (got to 49%, stalled for a few minutes, and then displayed an error).

I checked the receipt: TireRack sent the correct 433 MHz sensors. If the sensors were incompatible (or if all four were broken), I assume that the reset process would fail right away instead of proceeding to 49% completion. Am I wrong to assume that?

After a search, I found a couple of examples of folks reporting the "failure at 49%" problem. At least one person addressed it by increasing the air pressure on the front tires, which they had initially inflated on the low side (high 20s). But that's not an issue with my setup: I inflated both the front and rear tires to spec.

One more thing: I moved from the factory-delivered square set up on my car (225/40 18 on all four corners) to a staggered set up (225/40 18 in front and 245/35 18 in rear). Given that the staggered set up was also a factory-offered configuration for the m235i (in fact, I believe it was the default), I doubt that the change in rear tire size is a factor. But perhaps it's contributing to the problem somehow.

I continue to welcome stories and suggestions. I'm hoping to avoid an expensive trip to the dealer.

Last edited by E3Ghost; 07-29-2018 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

It sounds like the TPMS came from TireRack? What do they say? They are supposedly excellent about fixing problems or defects (I've only had good orders, myself). Also (if you haven't already) try restarting for a second try while still moving, rather than while stopped.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:43 AM   #7
Sonertial
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M240i 6MT

I recently changed wheels from 18" to 19". I had a similar problem where I would get progress (even up to 99%), but the reading would not show up. I did not however get any error message.

I tried many times to reset the the tyre pressure monitoring system but could not get a reading. The progress would reach various levels, 25%, 49% ,99% for example, but nothing would come up. Driving at different speeds would result in different progress rates. It would seem to finish the calibration, but no data showed up in the display, just "--" for each wheel.

What fixed it for me was an ECU reset triggered by recoding using BimmerCode.

I had previously coded the display to show Temperature + Pressure instead of the default Pressure only.

I went in on BimmerCode (Head unit or something I think) and switched back to Pressure only, thinking that maybe these TPM sensors did not support temperature. I coded it in, switched the ignition off and back on to set it, reset the Tyre Pressure Monitor and drove off. Bingo. I got pressure readings after only a few hundred metres.

So now I had Pressure. I wanted to check that in fact it was the temperature messing things up, so I went back in with the BimmerCode app and switched on Temperature + Pressure again. Coded it in (the Display head unit resets) , cycled the the ignition...

Bam! Temperature + Pressure displayed, no problems since.

Last edited by Sonertial; 07-31-2018 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: M 240

Just a quick thought on this topic- I have ordered new wheels and will collect them later this week and then put new tyres on. I plan to keep the original wheels and use one as a spare, just thinking of leaving the original sensors on the BMW wheels and running without the sensors on my new set up. Is there any problem due to crop up doing this other than the low pressure warning light.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Carrum View Post
Just a quick thought on this topic- I have ordered new wheels and will collect them later this week and then put new tyres on. I plan to keep the original wheels and use one as a spare, just thinking of leaving the original sensors on the BMW wheels and running without the sensors on my new set up. Is there any problem due to crop up doing this other than the low pressure warning light.
You'll have no issues at all except this irritating warning light constantly being on. Many people do what you plan to do with their winter set.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
You'll have no issues at all except this irritating warning light constantly being on. Many people do what you plan to do with their winter set.

OK thanks for that, I just didn't want to be swapping them over constantly and having to rebalance the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
OK thanks for that, I just didn't want to be swapping them over constantly and having to rebalance the wheels.
You could always just add a set of TPM sensors to your new wheels, as BMW doesn't require coding when compatible sensors are used. Somewhere like this should do a set for less than £200: https://www.tpmswarehouse.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
You could always just add a set of TPM sensors to your new wheels, as BMW doesn't require coding when compatible sensors are used. Somewhere like this should do a set for less than £200: https://www.tpmswarehouse.co.uk/
Don't want to spend that sort of money on something I don't really need or like .
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Don't want to spend that sort of money on something I don't really need or like .
A piece of black electrical tape covering the warning light will be your best friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #14
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonertial View Post
I recently changed wheels from 18" to 19". I had a similar problem where I would get progress (even up to 99%), but the reading would not show up. I did not however get any error message.

I tried many times to reset the the tyre pressure monitoring system but could not get a reading. The progress would reach various levels, 25%, 49% ,99% for example, but nothing would come up. Driving at different speeds would result in different progress rates. It would seem to finish the calibration, but no data showed up in the display, just "--" for each wheel.

What fixed it for me was an ECU reset triggered by recoding using BimmerCode.

I had previously coded the display to show Temperature + Pressure instead of the default Pressure only.

I went in on BimmerCode (Head unit or something I think) and switched back to Pressure only, thinking that maybe these TPM sensors did not support temperature. I coded it in, switched the ignition off and back on to set it, reset the Tyre Pressure Monitor and drove off. Bingo. I got pressure readings after only a few hundred metres.

So now I had Pressure. I wanted to check that in fact it was the temperature messing things up, so I went back in with the BimmerCode app and switched on Temperature + Pressure again. Coded it in (the Display head unit resets) , cycled the the ignition...

Bam! Temperature + Pressure displayed, no problems since.
Can you specify which values are for the pressure/temp coding?
Appreciate 0