THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Confusion about Dinan Stage 1 N26 tune CARB legality

09-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
howzz1854
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

Confusion about Dinan Stage 1 N26 tune CARB legality

not sure if anyone has run into this problem. but Dinan's website for 228i Stage 1 Tune under (SKU: D440-1633-ST1) "Description" says: "Currently this product is not legal for sale or use in California, and states that have adopted California emissions standards, on any pollution controlled motor vehicles. We are however in the E.O. process with the ARB and are confident that the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner will be emissions legal in all states in the near future."

but then if you click on the "Spec" tab, it says: "Emission Status 50 State Emissions Legal. California Air Resources Board Executive Order Number D-176-42."

both information are conflicting.

i called Dinan and one of their rep answered, he wasn't sure. at first he said sorry this vehicle isn't currently CARB certified for this product. but then i told him that under the Spec page there's a certification for California. then he looked up the CARB certification on the CARB website using the Cert number. we both found that under the CERT PDF it does say Certified for 228i Coup 2014~2015 D440-1633. So the rep said, looks like it does certify. but then i asked about what about 2016+ models, as mine is 2016, he had no idea.

so what's the consensus. there's no engine difference between the model years of N26 engine. is it going to fail the emission test if i install it?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
howzz1854
Rep

since no one seem to know the answer to this and no one has responded, and it doesn't seem like Dinan is paying any attention. i called CARB's helpline. oddly enough there wasn't any automated system to direct the call. some girl answered and asked what i needed. i explained my question to her and she said that the CARB Certification EO number needs to cover the year of your car. so in this case, if the EO number only says 2014 it won't work despite that there's no changes between the 14 and 16 model years.

Dinan really needs to step up. the product page is confusing as hell. it needs to remove the CARB EO number on the spec page or state that the EO Number currently only covers the 2014 year model.

seeing that Dinan has been talking about pending CARB EO for more than a year now, i wouldn't hold my breath on it.

hopefully this will be helpful for whoever stumble onto this page.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Call CARB back and see if you get a different person. If the say person answers, as to talk with someone who’s knowledgeable about the certification applicability process. Explain that you car is identical in all emissions aspects to the 2014. Back it up with part numbers for the emissions parts from realoem. A car manufacturer doesn’t have to retest each model year of the same car to meet CARB standards as long as the emission systems remain the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
howzz1854
Rep

I don't understand how the burden of proof is now with the potential customer. If anythinyg, the manufacture should work with CARB to rectify this and edit the document. In another word, whether or not my car will pass the emissions shouldn't hinge on the string of who I talk to on the other end of the telephone.

Consider me a lost customer. I am not going to do the work for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
When I wrote to Dinan last year about offering CARB approved products, I got this response:

Intake is not CA legal as there is no test approved by CARB to make it legal. This goes with EVERY aftermarket intake. Its not that it won't pass, but there is no means to test it. We have been working with BASF and SEMA for the better part of 6 years trying to do CARB's job and come up with a test that CARB will approve but to date none of our suggestions or methods we have put forth they have adopted yet.

The V2 is not CA legal because we have not submitted it to CARB yet. The intent is to submit it shortly but even then it will be 18-24 months before anything is approved given then current timeline of CARB approvals.
Appreciate 0