THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Best tire pressure for mountains

07-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Best tire pressure for mountains

My car is a 228i Xdrive. With square Pirelli P7 run-flats, 225/40/R18, speed rating 92V. With the stock pressure 32F/38R, the car always squeaks its front tires in spirited driving due to some understeer. What would you guys recommend the tire pressure to be for my tire setup for both spirited driving and daily driving? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I prefer fronts at about 34, less mushy; you should experiment to find your taste. But the real advice is to go for a better tire, and one that isn't an RFT if you can live w/ the uncertainty. For me, the RFT Conti 5's that came stock weren't great, and ended up cupping out at about 10k. You guys in Canada already have winter snow tires mandatory, right? so no reason not to get a really nice summer set too. I loved the Conti ExtremeContacts, or you can go traditional w/ the MPSS.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I prefer fronts at about 34, less mushy; you should experiment to find your taste. But the real advice is to go for a better tire, and one that isn't an RFT if you can live w/ the uncertainty. For me, the RFT Conti 5's that came stock weren't great, and ended up cupping out at about 10k. You guys in Canada already have winter snow tires mandatory, right? so no reason not to get a really nice summer set too. I loved the Conti ExtremeContacts, or you can go traditional w/ the MPSS.
Snow tires are not mandatory in Canada, especially where I live, it snows like two days per year, and melts the next day. There is no reason for me to get snow tires, so right now I'm sticking with all seasons. My car does not have a spare either, so I use run flats for safer daily driving. And I don't go into the mountains very often. Even though I do not like my tires, I am keeping them for now.

I tried 37F/39R today, maybe it's just in my head, but I feel like the turn in is better, and I can feel more bumps on the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
lieb923
lieb923
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235Xi

Garage List
2015 BMW M235Xi  [0.00]
tire pressure

I usually run 36-38 all around. The higher pressure up front helps to dial out the push and turns in better.YMMV
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Snow tires are not mandatory in Canada, especially where I live, it snows like two days per year, and melts the next day. There is no reason for me to get snow tires, so right now I'm sticking with all seasons. My car does not have a spare either, so I use run flats for safer daily driving. And I don't go into the mountains very often. Even though I do not like my tires, I am keeping them for now.

I tried 37F/39R today, maybe it's just in my head, but I feel like the turn in is better, and I can feel more bumps on the road.
In southern BC near the coast? Seattle, where I live now, has a similar climate, including snow-wise. I still find winter tires very useful in colder weather. They are a godsend on the few days when it does snow or when its icy.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
rhop101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, Honda S2000 AP2

I’m bad so I just run my autocross pressures on the street on my M235i with the PSS ,which is like 46/44. Your car is a bit lighter even with xdrive, but has the narrower wheels/tires so maybe running a slight rear bias in that high 30 range as others mention is the best way to go. You also have runflats which are stiffer than PSS so who knows maybe mid 30s like 34/38 is best. I’d say add more front pressure first.
Appreciate 0