THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Seat covers

11-23-2023, 01:39 PM   #1
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep
Drives: '20 M240i

Seat covers

Hi all -

I'm starting to notice wear on the bolster of my Dakota driver's seat already (at ~30K miles). I'd like to get some kind of seat cover to keep it from cracking and splitting before I hit 50K. I've been through a number of threads here which have some recommendations for sheepskins and such, but no one indicates that they've actually used them. I'd be interested to know if anyone is currently using any sort of custom seat covers and how they like them.

FWIW, car is a 2020 coupe with a black interior.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 07:19 PM   #2
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...postcount=5411
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 10:25 PM   #3
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F. View Post
Hi all -

I'm starting to notice wear on the bolster of my Dakota driver's seat already (at ~30K miles). I'd like to get some kind of seat cover to keep it from cracking and splitting before I hit 50K. I've been through a number of threads here which have some recommendations for sheepskins and such, but no one indicates that they've actually used them. I'd be interested to know if anyone is currently using any sort of custom seat covers and how they like them.

FWIW, car is a 2020 coupe with a black interior.

Thanks!
This may seem silly but I would not touch it. I have Sensatec and last year I observed 3 little cracks on the left side bolster. After many months, this is still stable with no additional damage.

I would wait and eventually buy a new OEM seat cover to be installed by a local upholstery shop.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 11:21 PM   #4
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
Thanks. Saw that post and probably should follow up with it, although those aren't quite what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 11:26 PM   #5
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
This may seem silly but I would not touch it. I have Sensatec and last year I observed 3 little cracks on the left side bolster. After many months, this is still stable with no additional damage.

I would wait and eventually buy a new OEM seat cover to be installed by a local upholstery shop.
Yeah, that's one strategy I guess I could go for.

I had Sensatec seats in my E90, and they looked nearly unworn at 200K miles. I'm getting the impression that the Dakota does not wear nearly as well. Some of it may also be that fact that getting into the smaller M240 involves rubbing against the bolster in a way that didn't happen with the E90. I know that some people move the seat back when they get out and then move it up again once they get into the car in order to prevent this sort of thing, but that's a little more complicated than I'd want to do when just getting in and out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 10:46 PM   #6
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's one strategy I guess I could go for.

I had Sensatec seats in my E90, and they looked nearly unworn at 200K miles. I'm getting the impression that the Dakota does not wear nearly as well. Some of it may also be that fact that getting into the smaller M240 involves rubbing against the bolster in a way that didn't happen with the E90. I know that some people move the seat back when they get out and then move it up again once they get into the car in order to prevent this sort of thing, but that's a little more complicated than I'd want to do when just getting in and out of the car.
Moving the seat back doesn't make any difference. I have presets being full back and driving position and the wear marks are the same. But, I agree about Sensatec aging better than leather.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 07:05 AM   #7
E46ZHP2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020m240ixvert

Switch Covers?

I mentioned this in another seat-wear thread, but got no response... Is it possible/practical to switch the seat covers from passenger to driver seat? Driver shows a lot of wear, while the passenger is nearly perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 07:22 AM   #8
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

I've just learned to put my hand on the bolster as I get in the car to keep myself from sliding against it and that keeps it from showing wear.

Last edited by leftoverture; 11-25-2023 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
dradernh4413.00
      11-25-2023, 03:25 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
I've just learned to put my hand on the bolster as I get in the car to keep myself from sliding against the it and that keeps it from showing wear.
^ Same
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 07:13 PM   #10
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
^ Same
Aaand that's why I like this forum. A cheap solution to a potentially expensive problem.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2024, 12:58 PM   #11
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 218i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Saw that post and probably should follow up with it, although those aren't quite what I'm looking for.
Hi Mike F. I was scrolling through the forums and saw this thread. I’ve seen Kernel Kurtz reposted a link of my seat covers.

So with my mine ones, I actually did go with a proper upholstery company to make custom bespoke seat covers for my car. What should’ve of been a 3 week process ended up taking 5 months with nothing but constant excuses from them which I knew they’re were taking the P so I asked for my money back which I did get back.

Saw these ones I currently have now on Amazon for a 1/3 of the price. Not the best but does the job and are super comfy and super cheap for what they’re. Great for protecting the seats without spending too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 04:02 PM   #12
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep

Thanks for the response! Three questions:

They're genuine leather, correct?

Did they require an upholsterer to unstall or did they slip over the originals? (They look more like the former. )

How long have you had them and how are they wearing, so far?

Again, I appreciate the response.
Appreciate 1
AM20 BMW169.50
      01-19-2024, 11:24 PM   #13
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The best option is still to order a driver's seat OEM and have it installed by an upholstery shop. This is easy and match perfectly the other seats covering.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:02 AM   #14
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 218i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the response! Three questions:

They're genuine leather, correct?

Did they require an upholsterer to unstall or did they slip over the originals? (They look more like the former. )

How long have you had them and how are they wearing, so far?

Again, I appreciate the response.
Sorry as I didn’t see your reply my apologies, no these covers are faux leather and are easy installation that fit over the original seats.

I had them on for 2 months now and still look brand new. Day before I installed them, I had my original seats professionally deep cleaned and the other day I peaked through underneath to see what the original ones looked like and still looks super clean and all protected.

Also the heated seat fuction still works but only tried it on the highest setting, but felt I never really need to use the seat heating as the covers quickly warms up with your body temperature.

It’ll never look and be as nice as if it was a bespoke cover specially made for the car and professional installed but it does the job at the end of the day and is a whole lot cheaper. Because it’s universal it’s easily removable and can be installed on another vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 03:58 PM   #15
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM20 BMW View Post
Sorry as I didn’t see your reply my apologies, no these covers are faux leather and are easy installation that fit over the original seats.

I had them on for 2 months now and still look brand new. Day before I installed them, I had my original seats professionally deep cleaned and the other day I peaked through underneath to see what the original ones looked like and still looks super clean and all protected.

Also the heated seat fuction still works but only tried it on the highest setting, but felt I never really need to use the seat heating as the covers quickly warms up with your body temperature.

It’ll never look and be as nice as if it was a bespoke cover specially made for the car and professional installed but it does the job at the end of the day and is a whole lot cheaper. Because it’s universal it’s easily removable and can be installed on another vehicle.
Great - thanks for the info!
Appreciate 1
AM20 BMW169.50