THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Unwanted house guest that has over stayed his welcome

03-06-2024, 12:52 PM   #23
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I'm confused on what law would protect him?

He's not paying rent.
He's an adult with means.
There's no contract law involved. So any eviction notice shouldn't be needed.
If the home is solely in your name I would think you have sole control of the domicile.

TBH, change the locks. Charge him storage fee's for his stuff and tell him time's up.
He is a tenant whether the OP likes it or not.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      03-06-2024, 12:54 PM   #24
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Sadly Mass gives squatters rights.
This is not a case of squatting.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:55 PM   #25
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Yeah, and the tooth fairy is real. Easter Bunny too!
Are you saying that it is not possible to have a great relationship with your grown children?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:58 PM   #26
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If he has mail being delivered to the house, he is considered a resident and must be evicted through the courts. Changing the locks will only get you in legal trouble. Restraining orders will put you up for false reporting litigation if used in lieu of a proper eviction. These cases come up almost weekly on Judge Judy's new show when people try to self-help themselves outside of the housing court system, and it never ends well for the property owner.....

You probably should not get your legal advice from a entertainment TV show.

Having mail delivered CAN be a piece of what makes one a resident. But it, in and of itself, is not enough.

False reports only apply if one makes false allegations to obtain any legal action.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:01 PM   #27
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
He is a tenant whether the OP likes it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Sadly Mass gives squatters rights.
Quote:
If he has mail being delivered to the house, he is considered a resident and must be evicted through the courts. Changing the locks will only get you in legal trouble. Restraining orders will put you up for false reporting litigation if used in lieu of a proper eviction. These cases come up almost weekly on Judge Judy's new show when people try to self-help themselves outside of the housing court system, and it never ends well for the property owner.....
I'm not arguing anything you're saying. I honestly have no idea. It just seems so strange to me. I recall the only state having squatters rights years and years ago being California. But it had to do with occupying an abandoned structure, maintaining it, paying bills, etc. basically all the stuff an owner would have to do minus the property cost. But that may have been the state with the shortest path to ownership. I don't remember.

But this is what I found for Mass.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ma...rse-possession

I'm sure there's something I'm missing. But if all it takes to not be booted is getting mail at a place ...

*edit*
Mason replied to a bunch while I was typing.

Mason,
So what is the (or do you think is) the requirement to be a tenant?

Sounds like "Tenant at will": https://www.mass.gov/info-details/te...-of-tenancies-
But bullet 2 mentions rent, and I'd call rent the main requirement of being called a tenant.

Last edited by iminhell1; 03-06-2024 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      03-06-2024, 03:00 PM   #28
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Regardless if the lowlife has any "true" rights. I will put his crap on the curb, changes the locks, install security cameras saving all future footage, and let him pursue any action against me. Like this loser is going to put forth the effort and/or money to try and get back in the house.
Appreciate 3
nerdogray1301.50
Llarry15966.50
      03-06-2024, 03:37 PM   #29
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Are you saying that it is not possible to have a great relationship with your grown children?
Not at all; it is possible. It is also possible to have no relationship, and that may have nothing to do with how you parented.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:37 PM   #30
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
waitttttt there is no way this is considered a squatter he is someone who you let live there.

please explain in more detial, just cuz he gets mail? i could get mail anywhere send letters to myslef
Liberal state allows this type of BS.

I went to the court today and spent the 75 buck to file papers to start the process.

I know a couple of lawyers and they said do it the legit way. If I need advice the said to just drop em a call.
Appreciate 4
iminhell13914.50
vreihen1615277.00
nerdogray1301.50
Llarry15966.50
      03-06-2024, 05:48 PM   #31
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Jeeez

From one fucked up situation to another. You know a 3rd possibility is you have kids who are raised right and don't end up being losers and still magically manage to have a relationship with their fathers.
Not every relationship is a fairytale storybook my friend. Sometimes you can love your children, give them every advantage you never had and they still end up resentful for reasons you can never comprehend. You haven’t walked in my shoes or know my story.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3502.50
      03-06-2024, 05:51 PM   #32
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Absolutely! I like to think I turned out good and I haven't needed any help from parents since 18. My wife and I even bought a house next to my parents and only down the road from her's as well. We love our parents and enjoy getting to spend time with them, also help them as much as we can. My dad and I just installed a new garage door at my house yesterday, not because I couldn't have paid for it to be done but because my dad thought we could put it up together. Just nice hanging out.

I feel bad for people that think their kids not talking to them is a good sign, it's quite the opposite.
I think people have reading comprehension issues. Certainly I’d love to have a relationship with my kids but look up the phrase familial disassociation and you’ll know a little of what I’m talking about. All I’m saying is I’d rather have my kids be self sufficient than sitting in my basement even though they love me. At some point they have to leave the nest.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      03-06-2024, 06:05 PM   #33
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Not every relationship is a fairytale storybook my friend. Sometimes you can love your children, give them every advantage you never had and they still end up resentful for reasons you can never comprehend. You haven’t walked in my shoes or know my story.
And not every relationship is a dystopian nightmare. I certainly cannot comprehend, for one I have no kids and second I always had a great relationship with my father and so does my gf and her sisters. The only person I know who did not have a relationship with their father is my best friend and that was 100% the fathers choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I think people have reading comprehension issues. Certainly I’d love to have a relationship with my kids but look up the phrase familial disassociation and you’ll know a little of what I’m talking about. All I’m saying is I’d rather have my kids be self sufficient than sitting in my basement even though they love me. At some point they have to leave the nest.
I think the issue is with your writing more so than the readers. I certainly struggle with expressing what I really want to say in writing and sometimes I'll write a long ass post and delete it because I just can't get it to come out right.

However what you wrote made it sound like not having a relationship with your kids was something to be proud of. Like as long as they are self sufficient fuck the rest. Or almost like it's between raising self sufficient kids and not having a relationship with them or having a relationship and having them stay in the basement until they are 40. Now maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it sounded to me and apparently others also.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:17 PM   #34
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
The definition of insanity is ____________________________________________.
doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result?
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615277.00
Llarry15966.50
      03-06-2024, 06:33 PM   #35
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
And not every relationship is a dystopian nightmare. I certainly cannot comprehend, for one I have no kids and second I always had a great relationship with my father and so does my gf and her sisters. The only person I know who did not have a relationship with their father is my best friend and that was 100% the fathers choice.

I think the issue is with your writing more so than the readers. I certainly struggle with expressing what I really want to say in writing and sometimes I'll write a long ass post and delete it because I just can't get it to come out right.

However what you wrote made it sound like not having a relationship with your kids was something to be proud of. Like as long as they are self sufficient fuck the rest. Or almost like it's between raising self sufficient kids and not having a relationship with them or having a relationship and having them stay in the basement until they are 40. Now maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it sounded to me and apparently others also.
Fair enough. No wonder my kids hate me.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:40 PM   #36
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result?

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:45 PM   #37
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Regardless if the lowlife has any "true" rights. I will put his crap on the curb, changes the locks, install security cameras saving all future footage, and let him pursue any action against me. Like this loser is going to put forth the effort and/or money to try and get back in the house.
i know someone who sold their house and moved to fix this issue
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:08 PM   #38
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i know someone who sold their house and moved to fix this issue
...and there's a national news story making the rounds this week about a Lawn Guyland (?) couple that bought a $2 million house and can't move into it because someone else was squatting in it.....
      03-06-2024, 11:12 PM   #39
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
...and there's a national news story making the rounds this week about a Lawn Guyland (?) couple that bought a $2 million house and can't move into it because someone else was squatting in it.....

This stuff is just way more intriguing to me than it should be.

I found this one,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nally-out.html

This might be cooler than the vanlife hippies ... I think that's overdone now. YT squatters and bum fights. Now that's quality I'd watch.

Found the $2mill home one ... sure don't get much for the money.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-landa.html

Last edited by iminhell1; 03-06-2024 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615277.00
      03-07-2024, 06:24 AM   #40
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Found the $2mill home one ... sure don't get much for the money.
It's Lawn Guyland. That's what a shack costs there.

If you think those are bad, there's a guy in Manhattan (?) who says hold my beer. The article about him from a few weeks ago was that he somehow obtained residency in a high-rise building without ever signing paperwork or paying a dime, and is now trying to take ownership of the entire building through some legal system antics.....
      03-07-2024, 07:58 AM   #41
formerE36M3/4/5
Private
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GTS Cab (the fun car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
This makes me glad I never had kids. My GF has 3 kids - 19, 21, 23. 2 oldest are doing great and into their launching. They get a tad more than I would offer, but all reasonable. The last one.............another story. He sounds like someone who would do this very thing. She is hoping he "grows out of it" but it's getting worse - not better.

He was coddled as a child and every little thing was (and still is) cleaned up for him immediately. I point it out, she agrees it's wrong, then does it again immediately.

I have made it clear there will be no co-habitation on my part as long as he is like this. The plan was for her to move to me when she got him off to college, but his antics delayed us a year and have only gotten worse with the freedom of college - as I knew and told her they would. To the point the law is getting involved some now.

I can't do it. I would not be able to sleep knowing I have a squatter in my house. It would be on the market in a month and I would find something else that she and he do not have access to.

Does that make me a piece of shit? Probably. But I am not living my later years dealing with that shit. If I didn't create the monster, I should be have to deal with him.

I feel for you bro - I could not stand it either. I'd cut off my nose to spit my face for sure.
I broke up with a previous GF even though she and I got along fantastically because I could see her 3 kids were going to be trouble, primarily due to the attitude/behavior of her ex husband. The oldest son (21 yo at the time) even though he was an outstanding student didn't lift a finger around the house and spent all his spare time playing online games. The youngest (girl) was holy hell already, was never taught the meaning of the word "no".

Current GF has 2 very successful and responsible adult kids, the polar opposite of the previous kids. We have a great relationship with them.

I feel for the OP, I hope he gets a good resolution to his predicament.
Assorted Porsche's over the last 20+ years
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 08:02 AM   #42
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Sadly so many of today's ills could be cured by a good old fashion A$$ Whooping.
Appreciate 11
cmyx6go15761.00
Llarry15966.50
2000cs3502.50
antgenn319.00
nerdogray1301.50
tcphoto3537.00
Buug95917408.00
UncleWede18025.00
      03-07-2024, 08:38 AM   #43
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerE36M3/4/5 View Post
I broke up with a previous GF even though she and I got along fantastically because I could see her 3 kids were going to be trouble, primarily due to the attitude/behavior of her ex husband. The oldest son (21 yo at the time) even though he was an outstanding student didn't lift a finger around the house and spent all his spare time playing online games. The youngest (girl) was holy hell already, was never taught the meaning of the word "no".

Current GF has 2 very successful and responsible adult kids, the polar opposite of the previous kids. We have a great relationship with them.

I feel for the OP, I hope he gets a good resolution to his predicament.
This is 100% where I fear we are headed. I have voiced this to her as well. She is one of the most fun people I have ever been with. Literally everyone she meets loves her. So sweet, considerate, and forgiving. Both her oldest daughters are doing fantastic. One is a jr in college and has ALWAYS worked and made/saved $. Her oldest is in her 2nd year of dental school and doing very well - both great students and I have relationships with them outside of their mother. Literally have zero concerns there.

Her son though - is the issue. An I fear he will be the reason we break up like you had too, which would be a shame. But I am not signing up for a lifetime of that. I see him getting kicked out of college soon and moving in with mom - even though she tells me that is not happening ever. I'd bet every cent I have on it though.

Sucks.
      03-07-2024, 08:55 AM   #44
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

One of my favorite phrases is, "if I wanted children, I'd meet a nice girl and make my own". Anyone who thinks the guy should stay should be packing their belongings and joining him at his new home. He has a job and choses to dodge his responsibilities, I think it's time for some tough love for him and your significant other.