THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics how to clean idrive screen

06-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

how to clean idrive screen

I royally messed up my old 1 series, so am VERY hessitant to touch the new one, "incorrectly"

I have what apprears to be one long faded smear along the bottom of the screen, I may have swiped left and or to clean some dust.

I was thinking air can to get rid of the dust, then a MF cloth with a drop of distilled water on it

Before I try anyone confirm, suggest or deny ?

Once you make a mistake on these things you kick yourself for not asking
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:46 AM   #2
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Like any LCD screen, the key thing is to be gentle. It's soft plastic, not glass.

You are on the right track with a micro-fiber cloth. You can use a bit more than drop of water, but you want the cloth to be barely damp. Wet enough to feel damp, but not wet enough that dragging it across the screen leaves any fluid behind. If there is something gunky on the screen, the trick is to get it wet/soft with repeated light passes of the cloth until it starts to come free. Be patient, and don't rub/scrub.

If there is something greasy that water alone isn't getting off, a tiny bit of an interior cleaner sprayed on the cloth can help. Follow that up with a plain water damp cloth to clear away any chemicals. Do NOT spray any cleaner directly on the screen. And especially stay away from any harsh window cleaners with ammonia. (Most automotive window cleaners omit ammonia just because they are sprayed around the interior plastic.)
Appreciate 1
nazali1297.00
      06-25-2022, 01:20 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

nice awesome txs, I did the MF on its own and that did clean the swipe marks off
cheers again
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I use camera lens cleaner and a microfiber towel.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_kit_2oz.html
Appreciate 0