THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Bought my first car. 2018 M240i.

06-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #23
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

To be fair, so many cars are called sports cars nowadays, instead of a fast sedan (sedan can be 2 or 4 or 5 door)...its lost its meaning.

this is great point below, he names a bunch of faster sedans, cool GT's and wants to call them all sports cars. I'd argue my 2 series MT/RWD is border line. Plenty of fast cars, with cool wheels..not all sports cars. (may all be fun/enjoyable)

https://www.quora.com/What-makes-a-car-a-sports-car

love this quote, not that I smoke anymore (insert phone/coffee) 600 HP auto, Ferrari not smoking, 300 hp auto type R...smoking.

One of the editors wrote something that stuck with me all these years: “A sports car is one that I don’t have any urge to smoke a cigarette in.” Meaning: If it’s engaging enough to drive that it fully occupies the driver’s attention, then it’s a sports car. And if it can’t do that, then it’s not.

/sidebar
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #24
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
This is hilarious - If you want point to point race - get AWD and automatic and get a coupe.

The 6spd RWD offers a great driving experience for a driver, I agree the M2C is even better, but the 6spd RWD combo F22 is much better from an engagement aspect than than any the awd convertible F23 could ever be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I do not see the point of buying RWD in an M240i when you can get an M2C. Period.

If you are looking at RWD, then get an M2C; if you are looking for sure-footed plowing through snow storms, get an AWD. You won't be "throwing it around any corners" in suburbia, okay? Again that argument comes from effort fetishizing traditonalists haha

BUT, but, but... you will have one hell of a time teleporting yourself effortlessly from stop light to stop light in an AWD/AT combo. No RWD/MT combo can match that cheap, yet safe, thrill.

Go after AWD/AT in M240i OR get an M2C. The RWD/MT M240i is *pointlessly* middling; an M2 wet dream, nothing more.
Some people don't fetishize the effort of slogging through an MT everyday. We disagree on this. That's fine. effortless joy is a beautiful thing!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #25
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Nice car, congrats. Does the M240i come with 19"s or are those 18"s like the M235i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqp5533 View Post
So I'm done driving family hand me down SUVs and just bought my first car. Set the bar high.
Got a 2018 M240i XDrive with 9k miles for $34k.

I searched for about a month and half and had patience for a good deal to pop up. Now I did my research and looked at all your opinions on buying courtesy cars, neglected break in period, and so forth. First 4k miles were from the dealer and the other 5k by the "first" owner who traded it in for a C63 AMG. It's fully loaded with premium package, harmon kardon, etc.

With the risks in mind that I got a courtesy car, It's still under warranty for another year and a half or another 31k miles. Had it's first service today, and I only run Shell 93 NiTRO+ since it's a minute from my house. Plan on getting oil changes sooner than they're due. I do drive it very aggressive when I see open road, but usually on comfort or eco. No Sport+ yet and don't plan on it for quite a while until I'm used to it.

I think I got a spectacular deal!

If you care to share any opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:57 AM   #26
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Nice car, congrats. Does the M240i come with 19"s or are those 18"s like the M235i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqp5533 View Post
So I'm done driving family hand me down SUVs and just bought my first car. Set the bar high.
Got a 2018 M240i XDrive with 9k miles for $34k.

I searched for about a month and half and had patience for a good deal to pop up. Now I did my research and looked at all your opinions on buying courtesy cars, neglected break in period, and so forth. First 4k miles were from the dealer and the other 5k by the "first" owner who traded it in for a C63 AMG. It's fully loaded with premium package, harmon kardon, etc.

With the risks in mind that I got a courtesy car, It's still under warranty for another year and a half or another 31k miles. Had it's first service today, and I only run Shell 93 NiTRO+ since it's a minute from my house. Plan on getting oil changes sooner than they're due. I do drive it very aggressive when I see open road, but usually on comfort or eco. No Sport+ yet and don't plan on it for quite a while until I'm used to it.

I think I got a spectacular deal!

If you care to share any opinions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
18"
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      06-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #27
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Nice. Great 1st car. Congrats!
      06-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #28
Lexon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

I would advise you to buy ford vehicles to begin with, because these are cars that do not require large investments. You can buy a car in good condition and ride it for a very long time without any problems. But if you're a BMW fan, then I think the best choice would be 3 Series cars.

Last edited by Lexon; 06-19-2020 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #29
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexon View Post
I would advise you to buy ford vehicles to begin with, because these are cars that do not require large investments. You can buy a car in good condition and ride it for a very long time without any problems. But if you're a BMW fan, then I think the best choice would be 3 Series cars.
Why are you on a BMW forum?
      06-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #30
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Who... are you?

Is this Ford astroturfing? Given their lack of creativity this is definitely Ford astroturfing.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #31
Lexon
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Why are you on a BMW forum?
Because I have a BMW. I just expressed my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #32
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
I would advise you to buy ford vehicles to begin with, because these are cars that do not require large investments. You can buy a car in good condition and ride it for a very long time without any problems.
Quote:
...I just expressed my opinion.
I'm sure the advice was well-intended. Perhaps, just a typo and you wrote "Ford" when you meant "Toyota"?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ction-lawsuit/

https://fordauthority.com/2020/06/fo...-naughty-list/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/how-...-explorer.html
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #33
Lexon
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I'm sure the advice was well-intended. Perhaps, just a typo and you wrote "Ford" when you meant "Toyota"?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ction-lawsuit/

https://fordauthority.com/2020/06/fo...-naughty-list/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/19/how-...-explorer.html
I agree with you, Toyota, a very reliable car. It’s just that I once had a Ford focus. That's why I said so, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #34
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:

coincidentally your only posts happen to be recommending a different vehicle entirely...

definitely not suspicious
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:15 PM   #35
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Quote:

coincidentally your only posts happen to be recommending a different vehicle entirely...

definitely not suspicious
A zero rep account suspiciously starts spouting about buying "Ford vehicles" in strangely non-specific English. This is definitely Ford outsourcing their astroturfing to shitty little digital marketing shops. You see this shit on Reddit all the time; after a while you start to notice the patterns.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #36
fast5
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Amazing car. Did you have to negotiate to get to that price?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #37
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Black BMW always has that sharp look. Congrats OP!!
Appreciate 0