THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i VS Z4 M40i

05-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

M240i VS Z4 M40i

I'm currently in the market for a convertible M240i, but the Z4 M40i is really growing on me as well. Both cars look amazing.

Can anyone who has insight into both cars explain why they chose one car over the other?

I would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

As an m235i coupe owner, I have no dog in this fight. But between the 2-series convertible and the latest Z4, in my opinion, the Z4 is far and away the better looking car of the two. It reminds me a bit of the legendary 507. I would only pick the 2-series if I needed a back seat. Obviously that depends a lot on your personal/family situation. Do you often find utility in being able to drive more than one passenger?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
One has two seats, the other has 4. How many seats do you need? Start there.

What are you looking for? If you need 4 seats or want to to stick golf clubs or skis in it, the Z4's not going to cut it for you. If you're looking for a daily driver for you and you alone that you can put the top down and don't care about cargo volume, the Z4 might be more your speed. Do you need/want AWD? One has it as an option, one is RWD only. The tech in the Z4 is newer than the F22 if that matters to you, and it puts out a bit more power, but it's also ~10k (USD) more expensive.

Start with the basics; they are different cars for different purposes. Figure out what you need/want and start from there.
Appreciate 2
Miata1387.00
mb67152.00
      05-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
mb67
In search of the perfect cup of coffee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Conv

My situation was different: I went from an '07 Z4 (E85) to a '15 228i Convertible (F23), and I'm glad that I did. The Z4 was barely large enough for my 6'4" (193cm) frame. The 228i 'vert is much more comfortable, and it doesn't have as harsh of a ride.

Having said that I don't know what the new Z4 m40i feels like, but I'd imaging that the ride comfort has improved in 13 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 02:04 AM   #5
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I did think about the Z4 as opposed to the M235i Convertible but I decided against for three reasons.

First, because I'd had a 2-seater before (as a 3rd car) and I found I used it less and less over time, in preference for something more practical. After 4 years, I was using it so little that I ditched it. And that was in circumstances where I had garage space for one.

Second, compared to a 'real' sports 2-seater like a Miata, Elise or Caterham, the Z4 was too much like the M235i to be worth the downsides. As I've said elsewhere, once you've owned one of these or similar, it widens you viewpoint, placing the M235i/M240i, Z4 and M2 quite close together on the 'sportivity' spectrum.

Third, the 2 'vert has a lot more storage space vs the Z4. The 2's soft-top uses-up relatively little trunk space and the fold-down rear seats help a lot with longer items. No way would the Z4 be practical for the 2-3 week summer driving trips we do 'round Europe.

But this is obviously highly personal: someone in different circumstances is going to decide differently. And the current Z4 is a lovely-looking car. If I was in the market for a third 'indulgence' car again, I'd definitely consider it, but as a DD or primary vehicle, not so much.

Last edited by msej449; 05-09-2020 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

I chose the M240i convertible over the Z4 M40i for the following reasons:

+ this is my daily driver, and since I live in the tundras of Minnesota, I needed AWD. When winter comes I out in Blizzak WS90 snow tires and the car is a TANK in the snow.

+ I LOVE having the utility of practical trunk space. I can stop by Costco with little worry that I won't be able to pick up everything on our shopping list haha! Also, since run-flats are terrible TERRIBLE tires, you will likely switch to NON-run flats, and that will require carrying around a spare. That takes up trunk space! With the Z4 M40i you, at that point, lose every practical space in the car.

+ We had company before corona days and were able to squeeze two "European sized" adults in the back haha

+ I didn't want to get a "halfway" 2-seater. If I am getting a proper summer 2-seater, and sacrificing AWD and trunk space, I would get an Elise or Evora (does the Evora come as a convertible? I think so), or a Miata. This is very similar to what another poster said above. In fact I am looking at Caterhams this summer for a track hooligan (again, in line with the above poster). Yes, luxury gets sacrificed but even if I wanted to optimize luxury in a 2-seater convertible I would then put the same money behind a Boxster. So, to me a Z4 didn't make sense.

However there are some cons as well:

- the M240i is about 400 lbs heavier as a convertible with AWD compared to a Z4 M40i.

- the M240i has the first iteration of the B58 engine, which by factory tuning, clocks 50hp less than the B58TU used in the Z4 M40i. However this can be easily fixed with an aftermarket tune. The engines have similar top end potentials, one way or another.

- Newer tech toys in the Z4, the novelty of all wears out after the first couple of days.

Oh, and I am not a fan of the frog-faced front fascia of the Z4. I don't understand why go for a design language that's neither classically BMW nor is approaching the newer design language of the upcoming M-cars. It seems out of place. The M240i at least looks unmistakably BMW, the Z4 while gorgeous seems to lose me on the front end. I would have lived with it, but everyday wished I had put money behind a Porsche Boxster instead if I was sacrificing AWD and space. Yes, entirely subjective, I am sure.

Anyway, OP if you do get the M240i, remove the rear headrests and the car looks very much like a roadster anyway here is a pic:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I consider them different classes of vehicle. The 2-series is a sporty coupe, while the Z is a sports car. Obviously a convertible 2-series isn't ACTUALLY a "sporty coupe" but essentially that's what the chassis was built for.

The 2-series was built to do all the stuff people normally need to do with a car first, with the idea of the car being a fun toy as a second priority.

The top priority on a sports car is usually not normal car stuff so realistically, you'll be looking at a much less practical car. The trade off is stuff like a more compact size, a lower center of gravity, a lower driving position etc.

Obviously driving both cars would be best, but even just sitting in each car would probably be pretty informative.

I love my M2C, its incredibly thrilling to drive, but my old 350Z did feel a touch 'sportier' from behind the wheel just due to the driving position and the slightly lower center of gravity, despite being significantly slower than the M2c in every single way. That sport car feel may be that itch you're looking to scratch, in which case you probably want the Z and not the 2-series. On the other hand, that feeling may not be that important to you, in which case, the 2 would be a hell of a lot more practical.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I consider them different classes of vehicle. The 2-series is a sporty coupe, while the Z is a sports car. Obviously a convertible 2-series isn't ACTUALLY a "sporty coupe" but essentially that's what the chassis was built for.

The 2-series was built to do all the stuff people normally need to do with a car first, with the idea of the car being a fun toy as a second priority.

The top priority on a sports car is usually not normal car stuff so realistically, you'll be looking at a much less practical car. The trade off is stuff like a more compact size, a lower center of gravity, a lower driving position etc.

Obviously driving both cars would be best, but even just sitting in each car would probably be pretty informative.

I love my M2C, its incredibly thrilling to drive, but my old 350Z did feel a touch 'sportier' from behind the wheel just due to the driving position and the slightly lower center of gravity, despite being significantly slower than the M2c in every single way. That sport car feel may be that itch you're looking to scratch, in which case you probably want the Z and not the 2-series. On the other hand, that feeling may not be that important to you, in which case, the 2 would be a hell of a lot more practical.
I mean really, that "feeeeling" can easily be gotten with a simple tune in your M240i. When you are putting down 450whp every car in this comparison will pummel your butt dyno with all the feels.

In all seriousness, the Z4 doesn't make sense when there are offerings like the Boxster in the market.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I've had a z4 and an M240i xdrive convertible (plus two Z3s and a 135is convertible). For me (old) the M240 is a better choice. I have the wind protector thing installed, so no one has ever sat in the back seats (plus anyway I don't know anyone who has no legs), but I do keep my hat and rain jacket back there.

For fun, the Z4. For winter, the xdrive makes me happy. Drive both, go with your heart.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Ask yourself: Would you be ok with having to use another car for hauling people or making a Costco (or insert any activity beyond a simple grocery run) trip?

No: Get the 240
Yes: Get a Boxster
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #11
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
I asked this on the Z4 fourm a couple of months ago. Below is the link.

My lease is up in July 21 probably going with the Z4. Main reason is I'm on my 2nd 2 series lease. 9 years of the same design will get stale. Why are they dropping the vert

Thinking of going Z4 after 230i convertible lease https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1704682
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:57 PM   #12
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Doesn't seem like the Z4 makes much sense in this market. The Supra is essentially the same car but with a more performance-oriented set-up at $10K cheaper. If you need to have the BMW badge, the M2 Competition is around the same price but blows away the Z4 in terms of performance and practicality. If a convertible top is a must, a Boxster is only slightly more expensive.

I'm convinced that the only reason the Z4 exists today is because Toyota paid very well for it to be developed alongside the Supra. There's just no natural space for this car in this market. Every reason you could think of to get this car, another car does better.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25073.50
      05-11-2020, 11:06 PM   #13
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post
Doesn't seem like the Z4 makes much sense in this market. The Supra is essentially the same car but with a more performance-oriented set-up at $10K cheaper. If you need to have the BMW badge, the M2 Competition is around the same price but blows away the Z4 in terms of performance and practicality. If a convertible top is a must, a Boxster is only slightly more expensive.

I'm convinced that the only reason the Z4 exists today is because Toyota paid very well for it to be developed alongside the Supra. There's just no natural space for this car in this market. Every reason you could think of to get this car, another car does better.
Convertible. The OP is talking about cars with roof off awesomeness.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 06:09 AM   #14
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post

A similar equipped Boxster will require about a $20k upcharge thanks to Porsche's pricing strategy ("S" vs. M40i). Further, the Porsche comes with 4 cylinder and has "old" tech...