THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i VS M4 Comp: Engine and Comfort

05-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

M240i VS M4 Comp: Engine and Comfort

Greetings all:
Hope all is well! I apologize for the post, because I know it has been discussed before - but I thought I would revisit it once more to get a more consolidated answer.

What is the difference with regards to comfort of an M240i vs an M4C? Is there a huge difference? I believe both have M adaptive suspension?

Also, with regards to the engines - how do you guys feel the engines compare?
I've read that the S55 is more powerful than the B58, but some people have said they like the sound of the B58 more? Can you please elaborate?

Thanks again for your opinions/insights guys! Much appreciated, as always!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

As the owner of an S55 powered car I can say....it doesn't sound very good. The powerband on that engine is pretty great though, modern turbocharged cars are all about torque and very few of them (including the B58) have revvy engines that make good power in the upper ranges. The S55 combines modern turbo torque with the rev-happy nature of more traditional performance car engines. Its not just that it has more power than the B58 (because real-world, there's less between them in terms of all out speed than would be expected) a lot of the magic is HOW it makes that power.

But the magic is definitely not in how it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1010 View Post
Greetings all:
Hope all is well! I apologize for the post, because I know it has been discussed before - but I thought I would revisit it once more to get a more consolidated answer.

What is the difference with regards to comfort of an M240i vs an M4C? Is there a huge difference? I believe both have M adaptive suspension?

Also, with regards to the engines - how do you guys feel the engines compare?
I've read that the S55 is more powerful than the B58, but some people have said they like the sound of the B58 more? Can you please elaborate?

Thanks again for your opinions/insights guys! Much appreciated, as always!
The upcoming S58 will have the best of the B58 mated to twin turbos, and all that special M magic!

However as per what you mentioned, I test drive an M4C last year before buying the M240i. It is a lovely beast and I would have greatly preferred it to the M240i... but I needed the AWD.

Anyway, for a $100k+ car it certainly didn't sound like one. I don't know, it always sounded like it was in pain.

I ended up with the M240i because it was just such an amazing package. Plus the burbles and the pops and the depth of engine sound just seemed richer.

Depends upon your use case, you can't go wrong with ether.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
As the owner of an S55 powered car I can say....it doesn't sound very good. The powerband on that engine is pretty great though, modern turbocharged cars are all about torque and very few of them (including the B58) have revvy engines that make good power in the upper ranges. The S55 combines modern turbo torque with the rev-happy nature of more traditional performance car engines. Its not just that it has more power than the B58 (because real-world, there's less between them in terms of all out speed than would be expected) a lot of the magic is HOW it makes that power.

Well said. There is something special about the S55. It can be tuned with far greater results than the B58 which refers directly to your comment on how it makes its power. For for a street car, the B58 along with the B48/46 have proven to be very reliable.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post

Well said. There is something special about the S55. It can be tuned with far greater results than the B58 which refers directly to your comment on how it makes its power. For for a street car, the B58 along with the B48/46 have proven to be very reliable.
https://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/...vs-s55-testing

Interesting comparison. The S55 is a lovely beast and the M cars will be something else entirely with the S58
Appreciate 0