THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Forward Collision Warning is a menace not a safety feature

11-01-2020, 01:18 AM   #1
CodySyd
Rep
Drives: m240i

Forward Collision Warning is a menace not a safety feature

For about the 10th time today, the damn forward collision assist alarm goes off. Usually it's when driving my 240i with attitude (don't assume that means stupidly or irresponsibly.) The large bright red warning and LOUD alarm sound is far more distracting and downright dangerous than just letting me drive - in no case was I about to hit anything at all. It just didn't like how close I was to something, or it was confused.

I can't find a way to set it off permanently, I've coded off (i.e. Bimmercode) most of the nanny features I hate, but there's no option for this one. Unfortunately having the button pressed on startup doesn't work either, so jamming it in won't fix it. I've set it to 'late' mode in the warning but seriously, it's a performance car, having a loud alarm go off when you're not driving like you have your kids in the back is just annoying, and as I said, downright distracting.
You know, distracting, like mobile phone use, which is ILLEGAL.

So yes this has me annoyed, today it gave me quite a surprise and all I was doing was driving onto a narrow bridge that has a corner approach at less than the speed limit. Frankly I'd tape over the camera completely but I like the speed sign detection.

Ok rant over If anyone has any other ideas..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

You should put up a video of you driving when it activates, cause it reads to me like you are getting too close to this in front of you at too high of a closing speed. But with no video it is impossible to tell.

I don't have that feature on my 230, perhaps it is a known problem I just haven't read about yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Maybe your sensors are malfunctioning? I have it set to lowest tolerance and it isn't annoying! Maybe you don't think you're driving too agressive but I suggest as above, maybe post a video so others can chime in. I drive like I stole it and the warnings barely come on, if ever! No judging, but you're doing something to get too close, too fast! Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Maybe it needs to be calibrated? I'd take the video to the dealer, assuming you're under warranty still.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
Mark.h
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m235i

For the m235 you can adjust the sensitivity, how early it comes on, in the vehicle settings menu. This may help some.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

I've had it come on plenty of times due to cars parked on the side of the road. It's also identified bridge shadows on empty streets as a car and set off a warning. I drive slow and smoothly so I think it's just bad software or a crappy camera.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

I had a rental do that. It was disconcerting.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i XD

Garage List
Just took procession of a new M240i yesterday. Funny how I am trying to activate the warning by riding up close to the car, or delay braking... the system didn't warn me at all. No visual no alarm... LOL.. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have set the warning to warn me early. Still nothing.

I just want to see how the system works, and what will trigger it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #9
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

I had mine show up with a visual just once as I came up fast at a red light. It was just there briefly and went away. That was on "early", I know have it on "medium".
Appreciate 0