THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Alpha 1 or Eton? Best options for speaker upgrade?

07-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Alpha 1 or Eton? Best options for speaker upgrade?

I'm no audiophile atm, but I might become one as I take the dive into the audio side of my 2er. I'm here to get educated by those well versed in adding better sound to our cars .

I want to upgrade my OEM HiFi speakers in my m235i. I noticed they were drown out when I added an aftermarket 12in subwoofer box. I've since removed the sub to get my music back, but now I still feel like the speakers are just not up to par.

Perusing the forums I've noticed a couple brands being mentioned.. So which is superior and the route I should take. Eton or Alpha 1 speakers.. bimmertech amp or match up 7bmw?

MarcoZandrini you mentioned bypassing the cars digital to analog converter for a usb connection? Is this somthing I can do along with what setup I go with? I like the Alpha 1 option as it look like an easy out of the box pnp.. both options abouve are def better then HnK right?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Hi! Yes, but you need to install an Audiotec-Fischer Match 7UP BMW amp and the USB module. It does produce superior sound. Plus you have to run a USB cable from the center console to the amp. I installed a 15' cable.

I suggest you replace the front speakers with the Eton speakers. They make a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Hi! Yes, but you need to install an Audiotec-Fischer Match 7UP BMW amp and the USB module. It does produce superior sound. Plus you have to run a USB cable from the center console to the amp. I installed a 15' cable.

I suggest you replace the front speakers with the Eton speakers. They make a big difference.
Thank you! Do you have a link to the model Eton speakers you bought? Besides the amp, do I need any accessories to fit the eton speakers or are they plug n play? Does eton also have speakers for the rear? Do have a link to the '15 usb cable?

Can all this be installed myself in a single day? Dosnt sound to difficult
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:

If you are running cables from armrest to rear do all three you may need at the same time. The USB cable MZ mentions, one for the Audiotec remote (if you want to add later) and finally one for an in-trunk sub (I used JL). You'll end up spending an extra $20 to avoid ripping your interior apart again.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      07-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If you are running cables from armrest to rear do all three you may need at the same time. The USB cable MZ mentions, one for the Audiotec remote (if you want to add later) and finally one for an in-trunk sub (I used JL). You'll end up spending an extra $20 to avoid ripping your interior apart again.
Ok, what type of cable is for the audiotec remote and in trunk sub? If there is only one usb in the armrest what am I running it from? Sorry for the silly questions, all new to me. Do you have a link to the remote? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Basically what I did is drill a small hold for the USB cable and fished it (2x!!) to the amp.

Here’s the link for the USB interface module: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...p-7bmw/up-7dsp

The hard part about running the cable is getting from under the console to the area under the rear seat bottom. The carpet installation is very tough. I used a thin wire coat hanger and string to pull it through.
My iPhone7 doesn’t always like to play nice with the USB module. First, I had to by the Apple Digital AV adapter ($50). Sometimes when I plug that into the phone I’ll get a warning that the phone doesn’t like the adapter as it’s hooked up to USB module. It has disconnected itself a few times! I’m thinking about going to the AF Bluetooth module even though the iPhone doesn’t do aptx protocol.

The Eton speakers I bought are the Eton B100 component speakers. It’s basically plug and play. The mud has a built in crossover (basically it just blocks low frequency audio going to the tweeter). The rears are 2 way JL speakers.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      07-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
Ok, what type of cable is for the audiotec remote and in trunk sub? If there is only one usb in the armrest what am I running it from? Sorry for the silly questions, all new to me. Do you have a link to the remote? Thank you
MarcoZandrini is not talking about the USB in your armrest. He's talking about sending a signal from your phone, or whatever else, directly to the new amp in the trunk. You are bypassing the stock wiring entirely. So you'd run:

1. USB cable from armrest to trunk (female in armrest, male in trunk)
2. Director or URC.3 remote for the Helix amp
3. JL remote for separate amp for in-trunk sub (assuming you'd use JL)
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      07-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The hard part about running the cable is getting from under the console to the area under the rear seat bottom. The carpet installation is very tough. I used a thin wire coat hanger and string to pull it through.
It's actually quite a bit easier if you exit the armrest and go under the seat directly to the door sill. There's a seam in the carpet and unbolting the seat is very easy. See instructions for Bavsound Ghost install. After that straight shot back to trunk, pull the seat bottom and pop through.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #9
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Basically what I did is drill a small hold for the USB cable and fished it (2x!!) to the amp.

Here’s the link for the USB interface module: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...p-7bmw/up-7dsp

My iPhone7 doesn’t always like to play nice with the USB module. First, I had to by the Apple Digital AV adapter ($50). Sometimes when I plug that into the phone I’ll get a warning that the phone doesn’t like the adapter as it’s hooked up to USB module. It has disconnected itself a few times! I’m thinking about going to the AF Bluetooth module even though the iPhone doesn’t do aptx protocol.

The Eton speakers I bought are the Eton B100 component speakers. It’s basically plug and play. The mud has a built in crossover (basically it just blocks low frequency audio going to the tweeter). The rears are 2 way JL speakers.
Gotcha! Ill be using my android so Ill need the usb to type-c adaptor to connect my phone to the USB/module then.. Id imagine if mine plays nice ill want to forgo the Bluetooth module for best sound yea?

Sorry what did you mean by mud? Since my car doesn't have the tweeters up on corner window your saying these would work? Audio NOOB please bare with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
MarcoZandrini is not talking about the USB in your armrest. He's talking about sending a signal from your phone, or whatever else, directly to the new amp in the trunk. You are bypassing the stock wiring entirely. So you'd run:

1. USB cable from armrest to trunk (female in armrest, male in trunk)
2. Director or URC.3 remote for the Helix amp
3. JL remote for separate amp for in-trunk sub (assuming you'd use JL)
Haha now I understand what he ment Thank you! And ill check out those remotes! Thanks BEM-S4
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #10
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Could tell me where I can purchase them or where you got yours? I see them on Etons website but there didnt seem to be any dealers listed near me. Is there a reputable website that I can order them from?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #11
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Amazon sells the Etons. I bought the amp and the USB module at Crutchfield. I bought the 15' USB at newegg. It's made by Rosewill, so it's good quality.

USB module: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_975USB...Interface.html

Amp: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_975UP7...H-UP-7BMW.html

Cable: https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewil...-353-_-Product
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      07-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Amazon sells the Etons. I bought the amp and the USB module at Crutchfield. I bought the 15' USB at newegg. It's made by Rosewill, so it's good quality.

USB module: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_975USB...Interface.html

Amp: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_975UP7...H-UP-7BMW.html

Cable: https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewil...-353-_-Product
Gotcha yes, only thing I cant find is the Etons. They dont appear to be on Amazon anymore.

I might just get the Alpha 1 package and pair it with the 7BMW amp and usb module.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #13
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

What will you use for the digital audio source? My iPhone7 gets a bit picky every now and ten. You might be better off getting the Bluetooth module. At least you won't have to run a USB cable from the console to the amp. You will need to code the amp to let it know that the BT module has priority as far as input.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
BeautyInMotionF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36,E92,F22

I got my Etons from Ebay seller Acr-hof shipping was very fast like 3 or 4 days or something like that to the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #15
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Eton sells their BMW speakers directly... send email for details.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      07-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #16
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What will you use for the digital audio source? My iPhone7 gets a bit picky every now and ten. You might be better off getting the Bluetooth module. At least you won't have to run a USB cable from the console to the amp. You will need to code the amp to let it know that the BT module has priority as far as input.
Gotcha! Ill be using my android so Ill need the usb to type-c adaptor to connect my phone to the USB/module then.. Id imagine if mine plays nice ill want to forgo the Bluetooth module for best sound yea?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Eton sells their BMW speakers directly... send email for details.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #18
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See if anyone is have issues with an android playing with the USB module. Also, does your android bluetooth have the aptx or aptx HD capability? My iPhone does not.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/a...can-you-get-it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #19
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

I said screw it and bought the BT module from Crutchfield. Since I bought he amp and the USB module from the company the BT module cost me about $125 with VA 4.5% tax. Something about Crutchfield bux or something. I'll plug the existing USB cable into the control USB port. Then I can tune the amp from the cockpit with the doors and trunk shut. I think it'll sound fine as it still uses the Audiotec-Fisher D to A converters. That's the weak point in the factory head unit, I think. There are zillion D to A converters out there. Some are much better than others.

Here's the link to the BT module: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_975BTU...BT-UP7BMW.html
Attached Images

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 08-14-2020 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With an M235 you should have Aux In located in your armrest, you can skip some of the headache MarcoZandrini dealt with in his newer car.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #21
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

I installed the BT module in the amp. Paired easily with my iPhone. Didn't want to play music from the iPhone initially. I re-paired it. Sounds as good as the USB connected iPhone.

Update: Yes, the BT worx great. That is until you plug in the lightning cable that's connected to the car's USB port in the console. Then the BT cuts off and the system reverts to the head unit!! ARGH. So, I'll install the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and connect it to he rear cigarette lighter's power wires.

Update: I ended up going with this: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3454...ing-ports.html It plugs into the factory USB port in the console. I had to order a new insert (the part where the factory USB port resides) as I'd cut the original part.

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 08-11-2020 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:26 PM   #22
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyInMotionF22 View Post
I got my Etons from Ebay seller Acr-hof shipping was very fast like 3 or 4 days or something like that to the US.
Did you have to pay anything for US customs or taxes? I'm tempted to buy from EU but that's a big unknown to figure out.
Appreciate 0