THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Does the F22 Dinan intake pass emissions in CARB states?

01-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
daneagles
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Does the F22 Dinan intake pass emissions in CARB states?

I live in Oregon which has mandatory emissions testing to renew registration (called "DEQ" here). Recently broke my stock intake and since an OEM replacement will cost just as much as aftermarket, I'm looking at the Dinan as a replacement. I emailed Dinan to ask about this and was told that the F22 intake is pending for CARB certification, so it will not pass emissions at this time.

That said, I've read pages on pages of people on this forum who have the Dinan CAI and never once had a CEL, or it appeared for a few days after installation but disappeared. Based on this page it sounds like the DEQ test just checks whether you have any codes. Assuming I don't have any stored codes and I drive the car for a while before testing, do you think the car would pass emissions? Can anyone with a F22 Dinan CAI comment on their experience getting the car emissions tested?

Side note, are there any closed-airbox designs that are CARB compliant and will pass emissions testing? Not interested in BMS or the other open airbox conical filter intakes. Thanks!

Last edited by daneagles; 01-07-2021 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 11:11 PM   #2
Chill Dana
Chill Dana
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneagles View Post
I live in Oregon which has mandatory emissions testing to renew registration (called "DEQ" here). Recently broke my stock intake and since an OEM replacement will cost just as much as aftermarket, I'm looking at the Dinan as a replacement. I emailed Dinan to ask about this and was told that the F22 intake is pending for CARB certification, so it will not pass emissions at this time.

That said, I've read pages on pages of people on this forum who have the Dinan CAI and never once had a CEL, or it appeared for a few days after installation but disappeared. Based on this page it sounds like the DEQ test just checks whether you have any codes. Assuming I don't have any stored codes and I drive the car for a while before testing, do you guys think the car would pass emissions? Can anyone with a F22 Dinan CAI comment on their experience getting the car emissions tested?

Side note, are there any closed-airbox designs that are CARB compliant and will pass emissions testing? Not interested in BMS or the other open intake conical filter intakes. Thanks!
It's an intake it has nothing to do with emissions, that role belongs to your cat. You should be completely fine.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

No codes, no problems.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
daneagles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Dana View Post
It's an intake it has nothing to do with emissions, that role belongs to your cat. You should be completely fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
No codes, no problems.
Thanks guys, I didn't think there'd be any reason for an intake to throw codes or fail emissions but Dinan's product page has an "Emissions" section that specifically says it's not street legal: https://www.dinancars.com/products/e...arts/D760-0038

Whether or not it's legal though, if it passes emissions (no visual inspection in Oregon, I think it's just OBD codes) that's all I care about :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
TwoTonic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Dana View Post
Not true in CA. If your aftermarket CAI doesn't have a CARB sticker on it, you will not pass smog. Provided your technician bothers to look.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:34 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

It is not Carb certified

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0