THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics adding heated seats?

01-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
perryair
late registration
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 m240i

adding heated seats?

when i picked it up a year ago, my 240i was spec'ed the way that i probably would have gotten it from the dealer (had i wanted to pay new car pricing on it) with the exception of one small but really not so small thing. lack of heated seats.

does anyone know whether seat heat is something that is addable as a coding thing (i.e. all seats have heat elements but non heated just arent turned on) or does it require finding seats that have it and swapping or some area in between?

thx if anyone has any helpful thoughts/assistance.
      01-03-2021, 01:16 AM   #2
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Option 1: I dont think your seats have the heating element built in. If they do, you might only need new buttons for the dash to turn them on and then code. If not, you need new seats, the buttons, and code. I'd go for a junkyard or find someone parting out.

Option 2: Aftermarket. I've added heated seats to many of my older cars. A generic kit contains two pads per seat, one for the lower and one for the upper section of the seat. Wiring and a switch. Take your seat out of the car, take it apart down to the foam, install pads between seat material and foam, run the wires from each seat under the carpet and to the center console. Find a spot you like the switches, hidden or obvious, wire them to an ignition source (dont want them on with engine off).

Its easy and cheap, but tedious as hell. Some seats are a huge pain to take apart. Older seats had tons of hog rings holding them together, new seats have airbags and heavy motors. But they all come apart.

If you cant handle the seats, I recommend removing the seats and getting the kit you prefer and taking them to an automotive upholstery shop and pay them to install the heaters. If you're not one to touch a wrench, have a mechanic or body shop take out the seats and bring them to an upholstery shop, and install the wiring and switches.
Appreciate 0