THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Acceptable service test drive distance

05-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
bit8m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Acceptable service test drive distance

Moderators: it seems I probably created this in the wrong sub-forum. Would you please move it to a more appropriate sub-forum? Thank you

I recently purchased a used BMW 2016 M235i, my first BMW, and took it in for an oil change, brake fluid flush and requested investigation for a faint whosh-whosh type noise from what seems to be the passenger side wheels at low speed. As aways seems to be the case with noises, they reported inability to reproduce or hear it. I got the car back with 17.1 miles added on the odometer. This seemed a bit extreme to me. I did a few searches, and found some much more extreme stories, but wanted to get some feedback from longer-term BMW owners. Given I reported the noise as occurring during low speed, all they would need to do is drive it around the lot, no clue why 17.1 miles would be put on the vehicle.

Any thoughts on a faint whosh-whosh type noise from the passenger side wheels at low speed?

Thank you

Last edited by bit8m; 05-29-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Lunch then ice-cream run.

It’s a nice car sure they took it for a thrash.

For the wheels, if they switch tire side to side and noise follows then maybe tire issue / internal belt in tire shift or tread wear issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

17 miles seems entirely plausible. Think about it, they're trying to investigate a sound thus they're going to take the car on lots of different roads and speeds. It's part of their investigation process. Don't worry about it.
      05-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

17 miles is excessive; You don't need to go on a long trip to identify noises.

Last time I took my car to the dealer for interior rattle, they took it on 3 test drives and put 6 miles on it, only to not have heard anything and scrape my front bumper. I even told them what specific road by the dealership is guaranteed to replicate the noise but they just went joy riding (my 100% city gas mileage that hasn't been reset in hundreds of miles went down). If it's not a big issue, I'd avoid going to a dealership altogether.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
bit8m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
(my 100% city gas mileage that hasn't been reset in hundreds of miles went down)
Interesting that you say this, because I also noticed the mpg in the dash went down 0.1 mpg. I originally dismissed thinking maybe it was left idling for an extended period of time and that somehow skewed it, but at the time was more focused on the number of miles they put on it.

Last edited by bit8m; 05-29-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
bit8m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
17 miles seems entirely plausible. Think about it, they're trying to investigate a sound thus they're going to take the car on lots of different roads and speeds. It's part of their investigation process. Don't worry about it.
I informed them that the noise was only audible at very slow speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
bit8m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Lunch then ice-cream run.

It’s a nice car sure they took it for a thrash.

For the wheels, if they switch tire side to side and noise follows then maybe tire issue / internal belt in tire shift or tread wear issue.
Of course they didn't bother to do something like that. I appreciate the helpful suggestion. I guess I need to find someone else for service to give that a shot. The noise doesn't sound like anything terrible, but I like to keep my eye things that don't seem normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit8m View Post
I informed them that the noise was only audible at very slow speed.
Yes, but they couldn't find the sound so it's safe to assume they took it on the highway as well. 5 miles in one direction on the highway takes 5 minutes or less. Then he has to drive back.

Don't worry about it. Just because they drove 17 miles doesn't mean they're beating on it. You can beat a car into the ground in a mile or less.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Moderators: it seems I probably created this in the wrong sub-forum. Would you please move it to a more appropriate sub-forum? Thank you

I recently purchased a used BMW 2016 M235i, my first BMW, and took it in for an oil change, brake fluid flush and requested investigation for a faint whosh-whosh type noise from what seems to be the passenger side wheels at low speed. As aways seems to be the case with noises, they reported inability to reproduce or hear it. I got the car back with 17.1 miles added on the odometer. This seemed a bit extreme to me. I did a few searches, and found some much more extreme stories, but wanted to get some feedback from longer-term BMW owners. Given I reported the noise as occurring during low speed, all they would need to do is drive it around the lot, no clue why 17.1 miles would be put on the vehicle.

Any thoughts on a faint whosh-whosh type noise from the passenger side wheels at low speed?

Thank you
Maybe they were actually taking the time to recreate the noise? Idk. I don't even look at my mileage when I drop it off. If your that concerned about people beating on your car get a camera mounted in it. I don't worry about it at a bmw dealer. I would if it was a chain store where they are driving shit cars all day. But at the end of the day I probably do more damage to my car then someone driving it 16 miles could do.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting that you say this, because I also noticed the mpg in the dash went down 0.1 mpg. I originally dismissed thinking maybe it was left idling for an extended period of time and that somehow skewed it, but at the time was more focused on the number of miles they put on it.
I'd think 0.1mpg is within margin of error, but mine went down from 19.8 to 18.8mpg. Unless you get on it (mine has MHD stage 2) and waste some gas, you're not dropping 1mpg when it hadn't been reset anytime recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry675 View Post
Maybe they were actually taking the time to recreate the noise? Idk. I don't even look at my mileage when I drop it off. If your that concerned about people beating on your car get a camera mounted in it. I don't worry about it at a bmw dealer. I would if it was a chain store where they are driving shit cars all day. But at the end of the day I probably do more damage to my car then someone driving it 16 miles could do.
It doesn't matter if it's a BMW dealer or Honda; Shitty, incompetent employees can be found anywhere. BTW, BMW dealerships disable your ConnectedDrive so you can't gps locate while in their possession and also will disconnect any cameras they see.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #11
bit8m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In the many years I've owned cars, taking them in to dealerships or private garages, both small and large services, I can't remember one where I had that many miles put on my vehicle. I'm not saying it doesn't happen or there are not reasons they might need to do so, I just don't recall it happening in the past and I did pay attention to the odometer in the past.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it's a BMW dealer or Honda; Shitty, incompetent employees can be found anywhere. BTW, BMW dealerships disable your ConnectedDrive so you can't gps locate while in their possession and also will disconnect any cameras they see.
I wasn't aware they would do things like that. BMW NA approves of such actions?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 04:08 AM   #12
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
I'd think 0.1mpg is within margin of error, but mine went down from 19.8 to 18.8mpg. Unless you get on it (mine has MHD stage 2) and waste some gas, you're not dropping 1mpg when it hadn't been reset anytime recently.

I agree! There's shitty employees at my work lol. My point was at bmw they drive nice cars with our motors or better all the time. It's not minivans and camrys all Day.
I'll have to remember to try and locate my car next time it's in for service that's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In the many years I've owned cars, taking them in to dealerships or private garages, both small and large services, I can't remember one where I had that many miles put on my vehicle. I'm not saying it doesn't happen or there are not reasons they might need to do so, I just don't recall it happening in the past and I did pay attention to the odometer in the past.

I wasn't aware they would do things like that. BMW NA approves of such actions?
After the dealership scraped my bumper, it took them 2 weeks to admit fault and agree to fix. They originally tried to pass it off to their on-site paint guy that works outside without a booth, to which I vehemently disagreed. They eventually agreed to send it to their body shop, but they drove 17 miles there without even notifying me. I was pretty pissed they didn't tell me about driving my car to the body shop, when it was their driving 6 miles that caused the bumper damage in the first place. It then took a month and 3 attempts at respraying the bumper, but all was well after. Needless to say, I don't trust people driving my car.

It's standard policy to disable ConnectedDrive and I'm pretty sure turning off cameras is done at all dealerships just so they aren't caught doing/saying stupid shit. While I'm not in support of this suspicious activity, I can understand why they'd want to do it.

Quote:
I agree! There's shitty employees at my work lol. My point was at bmw they drive nice cars with our motors or better all the time. It's not minivans and camrys all Day.
I'll have to remember to try and locate my car next time it's in for service that's crazy.
Yeah, I also gave my BMW dealer the benefit of the doubt but each time I took it in, I had less than stellar experience. I'm out of warranty now so it really doesn't matter since I won't ever be going back. But, from the times I checked my ConnectedDrive, it only started working when all the work was done and the car was ready to be picked up.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
bit8m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But, from the times I checked my ConnectedDrive, it only started working when all the work was done and the car was ready to be picked up.
A little off topic, but I did a quick search and came across this thread mentioning that it only works if you are within a radius of 1.5km to the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A little off topic, but I did a quick search and came across this thread mentioning that it only works if you are within a radius of 1.5km to the vehicle.
Interesting. I was just going by what others have reported in various FB groups and from my experience. I didn't think it would be limited by your proximity to the vehicle. I guess I'll have to test this to verify.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

After working at a dealer for 4 years. The acceptable mileage really comes down to how long it takes the mechanic to find the noise. Noises that are hard to duplicate or hard to hear unless in specific roads/speeds need more time on the road.

I've had to do test drives for mechanics who couldn't duplicate the issue and had to drive in excess of 10 and even over 20 miles.

If the problem could be heard easily after a Mile I could understand the concern about the mileage.

However, I do understand the concern here, I too have been victim of dealers driving my cars around to get lunch, coffee trips, home trips, ETC

It's unfortunately the risk we take when bringing our cars to these businesses as they don't have complete control of knowing what these people actually do on these "test drives".

The mechanics in my situation were dumb enough to leave evidence, such as receipts from the drive thrus (dated and timed). LOL
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      06-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #17
bit8m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
After working at a dealer for 4 years. The acceptable mileage really comes down to how long it takes the mechanic to find the noise. Noises that are hard to duplicate or hard to hear unless in specific roads/speeds need more time on the road.

I've had to do test drives for mechanics who couldn't duplicate the issue and had to drive in excess of 10 and even over 20 miles.

If the problem could be heard easily after a Mile I could understand the concern about the mileage.
I understand when conditions require it, however, when advised that noise is only audible at low speed (in and out of a driveway) I doubt they drove it 17 miles at that speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I understand when conditions require it, however, when advised that noise is only audible at low speed (in and out of a driveway) I doubt they drove it 17 miles at that speed.
Agreed but if there is anything I learned in this industry, people don't often read well and/or comprehend.

It's possible the mechanic didn't read the detailed aspect of the notes (if there were any) that the noise was only at low speed, for example.

That would mean, he could have potentially drove around aimlessly at city/highway speeds and didn't hear the noise.

Again, not trying to defend, just trying to put a realistic perspective on everything.

I've dropped off a car before and specifically told the dealer not to test drive the car. I told them to do the work, don't test drive it. Guess what, they still test drove it...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #19
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

I've watched my dashcam footage from when my car has been at the dealer. It's very nerve-racking.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #20
bit8m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Again, not trying to defend, just trying to put a realistic perspective on everything.
I appreciate you offering a different perspective. I did consider that as well.

How many miles does the vehicle need to be driven after an oil change to correctly measure the oil level, if at all?

I followed up with the service supervisor, that the milage seemed a bit excessive given the reported issue. The individual explained multiple people might need to test drive it, which I completely understand. However, when I pointed out that this issue was only at low speed, thus not requiring highway driving they seemed dismissive and basically restated they will test drive a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #21
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

i work as a licensed service tech, my test drives average 3-7kms i would say. Sometimes more for certain concerns.
Read the techs story..if they road tested it a bunch of times to try and locate the noise, i dont think its that bad. But if only 1 road test was done, thats a lil much IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #22
bit8m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
i work as a licensed service tech, my test drives average 3-7kms i would say. Sometimes more for certain concerns.
Read the techs story..if they road tested it a bunch of times to try and locate the noise, i dont think its that bad. But if only 1 road test was done, thats a lil much IMO.
I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback!
Appreciate 1
Taunto281.50